Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 10:15   #46

Boat: C&C 38'
Re: Another Crew Loses their Sailboat

Sheldon Cooper is a character on American TV. He is very bright and has learned a lot of information from books, He views the world as a set of partial differential equations that describe the interactions of energy and matter and that all people are rational. He has zero common sense and little real world experience.

Gee, is that me?
Old 13-08-2013, 10:16   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Crew Loses their Sailboat

Well... it does give those of us 'On the Beach' something to do between jobs..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:18   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
Sheldon Cooper is a character on American TV. He is very bright and has learned a lot of information from books, He views the world as a set of partial differential equations that describe the interactions of energy and matter and that all people are rational. He has zero common sense and little real world experience.

Gee, is that me?
Well if you play fantasy games and have take-out Thursday ,.......

Dave
Old 13-08-2013, 10:38   #49

Boat: Skookum 53'

And can only sit on, one place on the couch.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:45   #50

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Another crew loses their sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Must be Austrian. No Australian woman could: "reportedly said nothing to the press".

Must be a slow week on CF for that to pass without comment by someone of the "fairer sex"
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:47   #51

Boat: C&C 38'

Oh no! I always sit on the same settee. Every Friday we get a cheese pizza and a veggie sub sandwich. I am a Sheldon!!
Wait, I hate fantasy games. No problem.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:59   #52

Boat: Skookum 53'

I also assume you can drive yourself to "Comic book Wednesdays." : ))
Old 13-08-2013, 11:07   #53

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I may post this in the "Bloodhound" thread, But a couple collecting debris data east of Bermuda, latch on to the abandoned Swan yacht a few weeks, but couldn,t manage to tow it here. Apparently had an offer of payment from owners. Story in The Royal Gazette, Bermuda.
Old 13-08-2013, 13:14   #54
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Examples like this are why I always suggest 30 - 37ft for would be newbie voyagers...
+1
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 13:21   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
On a vaguely related note - I had an hour or so on my hands and came up with this:-

The Lost Yachts Register

No URL yet (might tack one on later).
Me like! +1
Old 13-08-2013, 13:53   #56

They look to have a website HERE though I can't read the "news" section. Anyone translate?
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 17:11   #57
cruiser

"Hello people,

First of all: we're fine. Here in the very Christian American Samoa all believe in a sign that we math and physics teachers are stranded exactly one week before the start of school and the teachers need anyway! We have learned that the Austrian media have taken up our cause. With "our thing" we mean the almost disaster, that we nearly drowned. The course sounds very dramatic, but we never thought that this would be dramatic enough to fill the newspapers.
Ultimately failed a boat in the cost of a mid-height new car. A fishing boat picked on us, which followed a Kurzabstecher in the home, made clear to the delight of the crew, and New Zealand Rettungskraefte coordinated the thing on the computer professional. Actually, as an accident on the highway and maybe not.
The high sea's something else, so we understand the concern and love like to make each question asked to us via e-mail answer. Too bad of course everything that happened, no question, Irene and I wrangle with the loss. That it would hit as high waves and even overtake us and div Fersehkameras would hunt to the front door of our parents before we even had the opportunity to inform all is also regrettable.
Below you can see our press release, in this we describe the exact course of events.
We are very grateful to the many emails we have received love and they all answer in the next few days. One thing annoys us a wengl: Any newspaper wrote a bissi gloating over our pretty esoteric text on this website, so from our side: This website is intended to provide beautiful images and the appropriate mood. All the work going on at the at the money zusammenzubekommen, the years on the breadline and 99.999% of the time we spent on the boat with repairs and maintenance we never mentioned and that is a good thing. Who cares for you? Should not it also. We spent a very nice time at any rate on the gobo and saw wonderful things we want to share with everyone. As it now goes: I have promised to marry Irene, if we survive that. Well, we live! Irene has just a little bit afraid that we will often stand in the newspaper when we do so on their mom and must chase more reporter with the broom ...
Anyway, we get again a 3D camera!"

Stay tuned!

To be continued!
Old 13-08-2013, 17:16   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
They look to have a website HERE though I can't read the "news" section. Anyone translate?
Google Translate says:

Current Status

Hi, first of all: we're fine. Here in the very Christian American Samoa all believe in a sign that we math and physics teachers are stranded exactly one week before the start of school and the teachers need anyway! We have learned that the Austrian media have taken up our cause. With "our thing" we mean the almost disaster, that we nearly drowned. The course sounds very dramatic, but we never thought that this would be dramatic enough to fill the newspapers. Ultimately failed a boat in the cost of a mid-height new car. A fishing boat picked on us, which followed a Kurzabstecher in the home, made ​​clear to the delight of the crew, and New Zealand Rettungskraefte coordinated the thing on the computer professional. Actually, as an accident on the highway and maybe not. , the high seas but is something else, so we understand the concern and love like to make each question asked to us via e-mail answer. Too bad of course everything that happened, no question, Irene and I wrangle with the loss. That propose such high waves it would and even overtake us and div Fersehkameras would hunt to the front door of our parents before we had even the possibility all informed is also regrettable. Below you can see our press release, in this we describe the exact course of events . Thank you very much for the many emails we have received love and they all answer in the next few days. One thing annoys us a wengl: Any newspaper wrote a bissi gloating over our pretty esoteric text on this website, so from our side: This website is intended to provide beautiful images and the appropriate mood. All the work going on at the at the money zusammenzubekommen, the years on the breadline and 99.999% of the time we spent on the boat with repairs and maintenance we never mentioned and that is a good thing. Who cares for you? Should not it also. We spent a very nice time at any rate on the gobo and saw wonderful things we want to share with everyone. As it now goes: I have promised to marry Irene, if we survive that. Well, we live! Irene has just a little bit afraid that we will often stand in the newspaper when we do so on their mom and must chase more reporter with the broom ... Anyway, we get again a 3D camera! stay tuned! To be continued!

Press Release:

One of the incidents on the high seas: We've technically, physically and mentally prepared confirmed by professionals in top shape at all and we would not have been, then the matter would be run differently. During the entire emergency situation we were always connected by SSB and Satphone with Rettungseinsatzkraeften and discussed the situation over days exactly and created as a result, our risk analysis. As can also confirm the rescue workers in New Zealand, they were informed all the time about exactly about the condition of the boat and our exact GPS location. well after 4 days high threshold (4-5m) and a good 35 knots of wind, the boat was quite good well shaken. Either way but it would have not break in to two shrouds (steel cable for attaching the mast) and scratching on the internal structure are allowed to come. This Materialermuedung for us was NOT visible, we had extra for this case, a rather costly asked the experts, from Tahiti to take a close look at precisely the boat. Anyway, we decided for safety's sake our position and condition to report to the responsible authorities. Safety is always our priority. The New Zealanders agreed the Picton Castle, a three-mast Seegelboot, which is tremendously technically well equipped and we provisionally fixed the shrouds and also threw a look at the machine. We were at this time about 160 nm (24) from Suwarrow. They thought it could due to the machine and the condition of the boat will be hairy. We decided under common advice in Suwarrow, which no infrastructure, but some restful nights absolutely asked, and immediately seek shelter waiting for a good weather window to sail to American Samoa. Why there? American Samoa is about 3 nights away, offwind, ie sailing tailwind. Fuer boat and crew less demanding I decided in my dependence on 4 weather information August break. The first 24 were well, unfortunately the weather changed rapidly and brought a lot of wind from south. We were now on half wind course. Due to the stress for the boat structure the ring structure broke at multiple sites. I tried to repair with Epoxydmatten, but for a fiberglass boat, the ring structure is vital! The situation was thus: - engine and fuel are insufficient to American Samoa - machine is heavily damaged (bent camshaft, total failure) - sailing only partly possible because the shrouds were damaged and if the mast we abort maneuver and thus in extreme danger. - Water leakage through the propeller shaft . We contacted again the maritime distress about our position and condition and unfortunately got the answer, that is to locate NO boat to the Hotel and we would be asked wsl over days to us , the only option I saw was heading north to sail to the wind. Unfortunately, that would leave us far from our goal brought into nothingness, but still gentle on flood boat. Very soon we saw lights of a fishing boat named "Taimane" with American Samoan registration. In our Mayday calls the boat did not respond, so we verschaften attention to us by several flares. At this time it was pitch dark. Taimane The steered towards us until they were in the VHF range. We explained our situation and Taimane promised not to deviate from our site. now got to decide what we would do now: The New Zealanders versichterten us several times that Taimane is our ONLY chance. The decision to abandon our boat was of course a horrible and therefore we would like to describe how it came about. We would continue to drive north sooner or later, we received the supplies from New Zealand and loud there is NOTHING and hardly a ship is found. We would hard to sail against the wind direction Samoa and it pulls us from the mast or structure breaks apart completely wsl would not even have time to get into the life raft and we would die to us. Furthermore, we of course also made ​​a calculation about the financial losses and we are under no illusions that the repairs would increase over the value of the boat. Deciding lot at 0400 on 6 August. now was to get us to the Taimane. The crew was definitely totally inexperienced in this respects, and after several Ruecksprachen with New Zealand we waited until the next morning before daylight. Unfortunately, the rescue was also in the light, a high-risk enterprise, as the waves around the 3-4 meter had a very short period. Our boat got many breakers in the cockpit and Irene and I were through and through NASS I decided around 0900 a rescue attempt with precise coordination venture. We had left our boat at the stern into the water and the Taimane threw us a rope rueber. The rope we mounted our dinghy. In this maneuver we had about 4 knots to un wind waves, which is easier to handle than with the wind, where the boat may both ships could overtake. We had packed all usnere stuff in 2 large backpacks. Our boat has about this place for backpacks and we were lying on top of it, without the content of the Lateral Walls of the raft. Irene I made ​​clear when we fall out of the boat, then the ev our definitive end. It was quite dramatic. I decided all of our stuff in the boat to leave and just as we were to jump into the boat to have a secure hold and not with the backpacks to jockey for space. Irene jumped first. I asked still the autopilot at the last second in the wind, vlt a last desperate attempt, the boat may survive and we could eventually pick it somewhere. Presently I landed on Irene I took the leash off to our boat and we drifted away. I yelled "STOP YOUR ENGINE imediatly!" So that our boat will not get on a leash jerk. The fishermen did well and we were brought on board. solely Only our passports, credit cards, no shoes, 2 jackets, pants and T Shrit were there. We hugged our Savior and were referred to a district. , the crew was very friendly and visibly relieved as they themselves had absolutely no idea how that will go. This was new territory for all. After 2 hours, the direction of Pago Pago (American Samoa) but stopped the machine. The fishermen were instructed weiterzufischen. This is against all international regulations of Rettungseinsaetzen. The owner of the fishing boat probably did not deal with the situation. Irene was the only woman on board and I was visibly nervous, alerted the authorities and made ​​strong pressure continue on immediately. This happened after about 4h to 16h and we continued the journey. We could not believe the situation and also the U.S. Coast Guard was alerted. , but we came the next day safe in Pago Pago, where we now dwell. We were taken here with an incomparable kindness that people ueberschuetten us with benefits, even the local radio invited us today for a longer interview. , the authorities and the people made ​​and make this a wonderful job and we are clear to safety. Notice Had been here in Samoa plans to work as a math and physics teacher and gradually to restore the boat. Now we are here without a boat. We do not yet know about our future plans notification, currently we are very concerned about our relatives, since the APA was unfortunately faster than us. We them wanted to teach yourself gently by Satphone. We continue to stand for all questions concerning disposal, but the internet opportunities are somewhat limited, so we ask for your patience! One thing to us is still important: The articles are on the website as well as images to reading, watching, dreaming away. Who takes the wortwoertlich, caught himself from the reality. Worked with multiple jobs over many years in absolute poverty line to us to enable us all. Also we did the last 14 months no other than to make training, preparing and repairing rather than beach holiday times. The other wsl more frequently than we did in Austria Lingering. The course can not be seen and that's ok for us. We do hams us otherwise chosen. But it also means that you should not judge a book by its cover. We are hard workers and stand by it. Just be honest: The know anyone interested in such a home ... therefore we do not write that too. We did and do all self-funded and all images on the website are freely downloadable. yet one thing: I Stand with the U.S. Coast Guard in contact and now Rettungseinsaetze to give a seminar on the high seas safer. We have collected a whole suitcase full of important experiences and many people are dying to it. The images on our website are free at leisure! LG Irene & Christian
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:27   #59

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Examples like this are why I always suggest 30 - 37ft for would be newbie voyagers... 40+ft with all the bigger and often more complex equipment on board is just to much for one or two relatively inexperienced people to deal with... my 54ft (me + 1) delivery last year to Oz would likely have been abandoned at least twice...
But no.. the armchair Skippers are only focused on the comfort factor.. aint that comfortable when TSHTF and you can't cope... and a decent 30ftr can take as much as a decent 40ftr...
Even Jedi who I like and respect sometimes annoys me with the big is better cry... not everyone has that level of experience.. maybe its time folk thought back to their own first stumbling steps in the sailing world...
Glad they got off okay and I hope the boat is salvaged and they can recoup something out of the dream turned nightmare..
I have to respectfully disagree. We (hubby and I) spent 15 years sailing a 27 foot Catalina and then jumped to a 47 foot Beneteau (French built). I do not think it is any more complex, unless you count the number of thru-hulls. Yes we have added a lot of new systems and electronics to the boat since moving aboard to make life more comfortable, but none of these really affect the basic ability to keep the boat afloat and sail her. In a lot of ways, sailing the Bene is easier with two people because all of the line handling happens in the cockpit.

I'm not in the camp that 'bigger is better' but IMHO our Bene has made sailing much more pleasurable and (to some degree) easier. I think that if we have a when TSHTF moment we will cope as well as we did in our 27' Catalina.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:56   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

david, how would you track "lost" vessels? There are those reported missing, and there are those simply missing, but not reported. You could probably track the reports, at least for some 150 nations that might issue them, or perhaps for only those nations that maintain an ocean SAR resource. But what about the rest? You've got us damned Colonials, you know, we just up and leave as we please, no zarpe, often no float plan, no way to tell whether we're missing or simply hungover.

But these latest comments about "steering trouble" make me realize that there's only one proper bluewater boat, and that would be a Viking longship. No rudder! No moving parts inaccessible in the water! No thru-hulls to leak! And plenty of room to keep an extra steering sweep secured on board.

No wonder those party animals sacked, burned, and looted their entire known world. And a few spots beyond.

As for zealots and missionaries...now, they will surely go to hell for being so rude as to request rescue, and chea tthe crabs out of their dinner. Obviously the good lord intended for the crabs to have dinner, but convincing the victims to stop arguing and just get sacrificed has always been a problem, hasn't it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, sail, sailboat