Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 05:29   #16

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Extremely intelligent.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 05:41   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Another crew loses their sailboat

A failed water pump on the diesel, a malfunctioning bilge pump, standing rigging issues, and steering problems = abandon ship.

This makes for a pretty good checklist of what you need to be prepared to deal with when making offshore passages. I'd also add leaking/failed through-hulls to the list. None of these issues is all that difficult to deal with, if you've got the spares, tools and expertise to fix the the problems.
Old 13-08-2013, 05:45   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another crew loses their sailboat

Examples like this are why I always suggest 30 - 37ft for would be newbie voyagers... 40+ft with all the bigger and often more complex equipment on board is just to much for one or two relatively inexperienced people to deal with... my 54ft (me + 1) delivery last year to Oz would likely have been abandoned at least twice...
But no.. the armchair Skippers are only focused on the comfort factor.. aint that comfortable when TSHTF and you can't cope... and a decent 30ftr can take as much as a decent 40ftr...
Even Jedi who I like and respect sometimes annoys me with the big is better cry... not everyone has that level of experience.. maybe its time folk thought back to their own first stumbling steps in the sailing world...
Glad they got off okay and I hope the boat is salvaged and they can recoup something out of the dream turned nightmare..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 06:21   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Extremely intelligent.
..........but not very practical?....or very real worldy
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 06:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

The huge statistical blip has been the large number of classic and tall ships lost. Yes some inexperienced people have lost their boats in the last 12 months but the losses with all hands have been, as far as I am aware, mostly of experienced skippers, including Lady Domina.

Mark
That's fair, but there has been a lot simply due to inexperience. Zen, Honduran wonder boy, the crazy religious family, perhaps this couple. Non of them had any place as captain of a vessel on the high seas.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 06:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

..........but not very practical?....or very real worldy
The type of person who believes that since they accomplished x in their lives, y will be cake.
Old 13-08-2013, 06:35   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The type of person who believes that since they accomplished x in their lives, y will be cake.
A lot of that around, onshore as well.
Old 13-08-2013, 06:44   #23

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The fallacy, is that some folks believe that sailing the seven seas without adequate seamanship knowledge is a child's play; it is NOT. There is no substitute in learning all you can about your boat, be able to fix just about anything electro-mechanical on it, and hands-on sailing it under different weather conditions. All this will take time to learn; you cannot rush it.

Mauritz
Old 13-08-2013, 06:45   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

On a vaguely related note - I had an hour or so on my hands and came up with this:-

The Lost Yachts Register

No URL yet (might tack one on later).

My thinking is to keep a track of Yachts that go missing (and get found) in one easy to find / read place. How much use that is being another thing ......more I think of passing interest on numbers, location and boat types..............You will note that it has been written to require minimal updating by me .....with a link off to the "story", at present mostly to CF!....that layout might change in due course, or it might not .

Of interest to anyone? If so, don't be shy about giving me a pointer or a nudge towards a missing Yacht......although not said on the Website, this will be mostly about yachts going on extended / transocean passages and not lost / missing locally.

I would stick the link in my Sig, but it's kinda full already .

BTW, don't bother with any criticisms on Website look or layout! - it's free on Google Sites, so yer get what yer pay for .
Old 13-08-2013, 06:50   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
My thinking is to keep a track of Yachts that go missing (and get found) in one easy to find / read place. .
I sugessted to the moderators a few months ago that we have a sub-forum for all missing/lost vessels.

Not only could we keep track of each lost one but overall we could work out prescisely what we are talking about in this thread: who is sinking! And WHY!?

So it would be good for someone (else) to ask the moderators.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 06:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
The fallacy, is that some folks believe that sailing the seven seas without adequate seamanship knowledge is a child's play; it is NOT. There is no substitute in learning all you can about your boat, be able to fix just about anything electro-mechanical on it, and hands-on sailing it under different weather conditions. All this will take time to learn; you cannot rush it.

Mauritz
People read the stories of the 4% inexperienced who manage to get a boat across oceans. The 96% who don't start, don't finish, or die, are not writing as many books and blogs.
Old 13-08-2013, 06:58   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
A failed water pump on the diesel, a malfunctioning bilge pump, standing rigging issues, and steering problems = abandon ship.

I note this is exactly the same stuff (ex steering, add weather) Bounty had.

Again drawing parallels to greenhorn sailors is not correct.

However, I do agree with you in every part... we need to be able to fix each of them. Though the overwhelming feeling when they all fail together can't be discounted. Even people who have been round the block a bit tend to feel a bit jaded when the whole boat collapses about them!

Further, and again, its not to do with the brand of the boat as more 'classic' and tall ships' have sunk this year than Bene's Janneaus, Hunters et al and etc!

Mark
PS 2 posts as they were totally different. I am not taking up the now common idea of 1 post per fleeting thought (including the full text of the previous post)

Old 13-08-2013, 07:04   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I sugessted to the moderators a few months ago that we have a sub-forum for all missing/lost vessels.

Not only could we keep track of each lost one but overall we could work out prescisely what we are talking about in this thread: who is sinking! And WHY!?

So it would be good for someone (else) to ask the moderators.

Mark
I guess you never got the Memo - but a no goer . To be fair, IMO pretty much nigh on impossible to do in a forum.......and an exercise in frustration to try!
Old 13-08-2013, 07:19   #29

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I would think we are now hearing about more losses just due to how "connected" the world is. 10 years ago, unless a local story, I would have never heard about a lost pleasure yacht. It's only recently that all news outlets are online and searchable.
Old 13-08-2013, 07:25   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
I guess you never got the Memo - but a no goer . To be fair, IMO pretty much nigh on impossible to do in a forum.......and an exercise in frustration to try!
That seems crazy!

Anyway, lets do your website for it. The CF will see how they have missed out on something so simple and useful for cruisers.

TheLost Yachts Register it is!

Tags
crew, sail, sailboat