Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 19:27   #106
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Alpha 42 "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry Merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Besides, he's done about 60 posts in this thread alone. That is without countin...
Hey... I sail solo.. I talk to myself a lot..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:35   #107

Boat: csy 37
re: Alpha 42 "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry Merged

what i find funny is all the hype the company owner is spouting. if he decides to change careers he could make a bundle selling used cars in the usa. just to read some of his 'progress' reports during construction is enough to make a cynic like me want to barf. guess that's why he's a marketing guy...

from what i can deduce the crew was the new owner and his people, not the builder and their crew. you would think an expensive boat with all the latest gear would at least - regardless of it being a monohull or multihull - have state of the art weather electronics and the crew the ability to use it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:40   #108
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
what i find funny is all the hype the company owner is spouting. if he decides to change careers he could make a bundle selling used cars in the usa. just to read some of his 'progress' reports during construction is enough to make a cynic like me want to barf. guess that's why he's a marketing guy...

from what i can deduce the crew was the new owner and his people, not the builder and their crew. you would think an expensive boat with all the latest gear would at least - regardless of it being a monohull or multihull - have state of the art weather electronics and the crew the ability to use it.
I think they probably did. That's why they decided to abandon the boat, the weather was supposed to degrade.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:41   #109

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Alfa 42 "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
As stated earlier, not the best PR for a company touting the safety of its product.
Alpha 42 "Be Good Too" was hull #1 off of the production line.

If no one goes out to savage her, she will wash ashore in a few weeks and we will get a better idea what the rudders, or the bare rudder shafts look like.

I am sure that any future hull #'s will be paying a little more attention to how that rudder system is designed and installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Be Good Too.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	74059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Be Good Too_3.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	74060  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Be Good Too_4.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	74061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Be Good Too_5.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	74062  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 20:02   #110
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
If a Boeing jet crashes do you not fly Boeing anymore or wait for the investigation. It usually turns out to be pilot error anyway.
I work in the yachting industry so I can't comment on the aviation industry, but I do believe Boeing has suffered from loss/delayed sales for the issues with the 787 Dreamliner. Also, Boeing is one of the largest airplane manufactures in the world. They have the money to back an issue with an early airframe. Aeroyacht is a new unproven builder with limited resources. If I had a deposit for a future hull I would probably run. Nothing to do with the design, but if they go bust a buyer could be stuck with a partially built hull, a finished yacht with no warranty support, or the trouble of selling a hull of questionable build quality/pedigree... It has happened before....
Old 15-01-2014, 20:45   #111
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

From those pictures the rudders are right at the stern. If you look at the scoop, I don't think they could have a very long rudder shaft and brace. I don't know the correct terms. In any case, put a quadrant on top of it, maybe 16" to 24" would be my guess. So if that whole assembly broke off on both hulls and they didn't have a bulkhead between the engines and rudder stock, both engine compartments would flood.

Some of you may remember the Catana that used a sea anchor in the Gulf of Lyon many years ago. When the bridle broke, the boat surged back and flipped, killing 3 experienced sailors. Cat's don't do well going backwards which is why my preference would be to never use a sea anchor. As to why they were not running? I'd also guess that would have meant going north which wasn't desired or an option at the time.

I'm not a fan of the boat based on the few pictures posted here. It looks really gimmicky. Lots of flash and speed without the backbone to support it. Similar to the Atlantic 57 lost in the Pacific, ouch, lots of money down the drain chasing speed and nuvo design.
Old 15-01-2014, 20:56   #112

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
See... I'm only a trainee god... not fully qualified yet...
"I'm a god, not THE God."

-Bill Murray, Ground Hog's Day
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 21:55   #113

Boat: schionning cosmos 930

Maybe someone forgot to install rudder stops
dialdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 23:13   #114

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

I posted this in (yet) another thread about rudder damage from wave action. Now i'm a complete noob to any boat with a fixed keel or over 18' and have near zero knowledge of NA or mechanical engineering however I would like to hear if anyone thinks its possible.

Quote:
Just curious but would you get such large forces if the rudder was free to turn 360 degrees? As best i understand it is just trying to get to its least point of resistance which when going backwards is backwards.

I understand that most rudders wouldn't allow this anyway but a spade could be designed to freewheel, so to speak.
I did get one response of:

Quote:
The Cal 34's rudder can rotate 360 degrees. What it really works well for is to back up. Spin the tiller around and that boat steers almost as well going backward as forward.
Is there possibilities of a clutch system to hold the rudder in the correct position, set to slip well before ripping the stern off a boat?
Old 16-01-2014, 01:02   #115

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Gregor Tarjan is a naval architect, racer, and a very experienced sailor. His book on catamarans is one of the must haves for people considering buying one especially newbies. I actually liked the progress reports and I like the boat. It looks good to me.
Old 16-01-2014, 01:12   #116

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Gregor Tarjan is a naval architect, racer, and a very experienced sailor. His book on catamarans is one of the must haves for people considering buying one especially newbies. I actually liked the progress reports and I like the boat. It looks good to me.
Yes too early to make any predictions. Certainly the steering system has been well tested and found to need some upgrades.

Then again onestepeasy might be quite knowledgeable on cats.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 01:13   #117

His book is a must have?? OK. I was not all that impressed (rigs that should fall down before multis capsize?...lovely...seems similar logic may apply to his rudders?) and thought chris white's effort was far better...never been a fan of the alpha 42, it seems a bit of a toy, time will tell I guess.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 01:44   #118

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
His book is a must have?? OK. I was not all that impressed (rigs that should fall down before multis capsize?...lovely...seems similar logic may apply to his rudders?) and thought chris white's effort was far better...never been a fan of the alpha 42, it seems a bit of a toy, time will tell I guess.
There are only a couple of books out there anyway so you "must have" this one plus the others. Many other members like it and it is the most recent.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ans-12990.html

And BTW the Alpha people have been in business a long time. This catamaran is just a new boat for them.
http://www.alpha-yachts.com/Home_Page.html
Old 16-01-2014, 01:47   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Why state the obvious?
May be obvious - but its wrong. On so many levels.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 01:54   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It's not wrong if you believe it.

Coops.

Tags
Aeroyacht Alpha 42, Alpha 42, Gregor Tarjan, offshore, rescue, yacht