Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 10:34   #811

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Alpha 42 "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry Merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
Kookaburro and Cruisingkrol [me], as owners of Alpha 42 Hull #3, are thrilled to read that Be Good Two was found. Thanks for the heads up terah. It's tragic that the bad publicity had the negative effect that it did on the company and the effort to revive boat-building on Long Island. The cat really is sturdy and, tho' a bit heavy, performs really well in good wind.

We have been happily cruising the Bahamas since Nov 22 after an eleven day ocean passage from Galesville, MD. It was my first ocean passage so I'm rather proud to be able to write that I was not seasick and cooked three hot meals a day for the four of us. On the way the Alpha handled some very rough weather and big seas with crew comfortable through it all, virtually no slamming. Heavy can mean a good ride. We did make a two day stop in Beaufort, NC for some autopilot repairs. All systems are now working well after some attention from a very good marine electrician in Marsh Harbor. The Cruise RO Watermaker is great. Kook is a happy Alpha male.

Everybody should take another look at the Alpha. Time for Sundowners.
Its great to hear that you are happy with your Alpha. I am very interested in whether the design/material of the rudder shafts was changed after the first boat. It seemed to me that much of the bad publicity stemmed from the company's attempts to blame God and the sailors, rather than admit they needed to beef up the design.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 15:21   #812

Boat: Alpha 42 #2
Send a message via Skype™ to Kookaburra

Ok. Kookaburra says the shafts are now 2.5 in solid stainless; rudders have stainless steel cores. Skipper will post a pic when he finds it.
Kookaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 17:15   #813

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Thanks for getting back. From what I read boat #1 had 1.5 inch shafts. Your rudder shafts should be about 5 times as strong.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 11:29   #814

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Thanks for getting back. From what I read boat #1 had 1.5 inch shafts. Your rudder shafts should be about 5 times as strong.
So it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback but with the talent involved in the design and build of this craft can't help but wonder how they justified such small shafts?
Was this an oversight or intentional.
If the latter then it would be interesting to me for hear from other owners with similar sized cats that have 1.5 inch shafts. Just trying to learn, I am obviously not skilled in the art of boat building.
I am pleased to hear the new owners are happy with the build and wish them many care free ocean miles.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 14:26   #815

Boat: schionning cosmos 930

I thought the problem was a lack of rudder stops , more than the shaft size?
dialdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:15   #816

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I recall the same discussion when they lost the rudders and the boat. Maybe it was on another forum that I 'owned up' to my Nautitech 40 rudder shafts being only 1 1/4" and tube, not solid. I just checked again, since I have spare rudder bearings, and you can see from the photo the diameter is 34mm or 1 5/16".

Please don't turn this into a Nautitech bashing opportunity. They may be one of the smaller production yards but there must be detailed design calculations and a wealth of experience. My only point, I think, is that it would be wrong to knock the Alpha people on the suspicion that they cut corners and reduced factors of safety or whatever.

I should add though, the Alpha 42 rudder blades look significantly larger than the N40. To me, they look larger than necessary (but there I go - pretending I know about yacht design..)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_095049.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	139988  
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Aeroyacht Alpha 42, Alpha 42, Gregor Tarjan, offshore, rescue, yacht