Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2010, 06:48   #421
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Never mind the Australian government, I wonder what the Australian taxpayers think of paying for reckless adventurers rescues? Yes, circumnavigating Antarctica in a 40 foot boat with one person onboard in the winter fits my definition of reckless.

Subsidizing recklessness only encourages more. Its almost like a direct transference of money from the Australian taxpayers to the Sunderland family who now have the fame to go out and make money with that fame.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 17-06-2010, 07:13   #422

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Never mind the Australian government, I wonder what the Australian taxpayers think of paying for reckless adventurers rescues? Yes, circumnavigating Antarctica in a 40 foot boat with one person onboard in the winter fits my definition of reckless.

Subsidizing recklessness only encourages more. Its almost like a direct transference of money from the Australian taxpayers to the Sunderland family who now have the fame to go out and make money with that fame.
Oh, I'm sure some taxpayers are upset and this will be a lighting rod for other frustrations and resentment, but I predict in a week or so it will all be forgotten and they will find another scapegoat for their dissatisfactions. I'll bet if they did a poll today, the average citizen either was never aware or has already forgotten about it.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:25   #423
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Never mind the Australian government, I wonder what the Australian taxpayers think of paying for reckless adventurers rescues?
From Countries paying costs of rescuing teen sailor Abby Sunderland defend rule-of-seas obligation - latimes.com

Quote:

ADELAIDE, Australia (AP) — The first day Abby Sunderland was stranded in the Southern Ocean, Australia's rescue agency chartered a jet to fly over the area where her emergency beacon was activated.

The 11-hour flight cost an estimated 110,000 Australian dollars (US $94,500).

The second day, after locating her, the agency sent another plane to coordinate her pickup by ships racing toward her

The Australian military also deployed two Orion aircraft to wait on an Indian Ocean island in case an airdrop or further assistance was needed. An Orion costs about AU$30,000 an hour to operate.

In the meantime, the French territory of Reunion Island diverted three ships to Sunderland's location. The fishing vessel that reached her first lost at least three days of work; a commercial ship also sent to her rescue would have added three or four days of travel time to its intended destination.

So even if the Aussies and the French didn't need the money there is no doubt those amounts of money can be better spent.

Homeless, underprivileged, less educated, more victimized etc parts of society as well as money towards science, medcine and the environment.

I would vastly hope home countries didnt feel the need to waste money on putting out legislation to ban these people. One would hope the people themselves might realise they are not achieving anything real, apart from real waste.

And how would we be talking if that fishing boats captain who fell overboard during the rescue died?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 17-06-2010, 10:16   #424

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Last I heard they found her boat, dismasted. I was in the Caribbean sailing and I didn't have access to news the last two weeks.

I take it she was safe and the took her off her boat?

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
Old 17-06-2010, 10:43   #425
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pete Thomas is a former Los Angeles Times reporter who covered Abby and Zac for the paper from when their dreams and plans were in the larval stage. In the wake of all the fuss and commotion attending the disabling of Abby's Wild Eyes and her subsequent rescue, he has offered-up a great deal of background information that virtually no one is aware of.

"This might not have been reported but a representative from child protective services interviewed Abby for nearly two hours at her home before her Jan. 23 departure from Marina del Rey. Marianne Sunderland, Abby's mom, told me this in the weeks after Abby's departure. The interview was to make sure the high school junior was not being coerced into making this voyage."

To read the entire piece by Pete Thomas, go to:

Perspective from a reporter who has sailed with Abby Sunderland

TaoJones
Old 17-06-2010, 11:25   #426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I am agnostic on this issue, but I find these two statements, from the story referenced above, entirely contradictory:

"The Sunderlands did not carelessly endanger their daughter as many suggest."

and

"People have argued that Abby was sailing too late in the season, increasing her chances of encountering strong Southern Ocean storms. I agree."

At age 16, Abby's parents are legal guardians and could have called off the venture once her weather window for the Indian Ocean crossing slipped away. It will be hard not to suspect that their failure to do so didn't have a lot to do with the blind pursuit of fame and fortune.

In the immortal words of the balloon boy: they "did it for the show."
Old 17-06-2010, 11:39   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I am agnostic on this issue, but I find these two statements, from the story referenced above, entirely contradictory:

"The Sunderlands did not carelessly endanger their daughter as many suggest."

and

"People have argued that Abby was sailing too late in the season, increasing her chances of encountering strong Southern Ocean storms. I agree."

At age 16, Abby's parents are legal guardians and could have called off the venture once her weather window for the Indian Ocean crossing slipped away. It will be hard not to suspect that their failure to do so didn't have a lot to do with the blind pursuit of fame and fortune.

In the immortal words balloon boy: they "did it for the show."
Yes, and don't forget to add this quote:

"She was supposed to start last November, but because of numerous delays caused by boat issues she didn't start till Jan. 23."

One of the "boat issues" was that she didn't have a boat. It was purchased on October 21st and it was in Rhode Island.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 17-06-2010, 11:50   #428
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Yes, and don't forget to add this quote:

"She was supposed to start last November, but because of numerous delays caused by boat issues she didn't start till Jan. 23."

One of the "boat issues" was that she didn't have a boat. It was purchased on October 21st and it was in Rhode Island.
Ah,yes. And we all know that the first rule of cruising is: "always announce your departure date prior to selecting a boat."
Old 17-06-2010, 12:14   #429

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Purpose of SAR?

I always thought SAR's purpose is to save human life.

There's been various suggestions on this thread to subjectively save certain lives and let others fend for themselves.

Example: Some day in the future - A person sets off their EPIRB, they receive a response that tells them to answer the attached series of questions. After submitting the answers, next they receive a message that states: 'It has been determined by the government that your own stupidity put you in harms way, therefore you'll need to provide a credit card number for this rescue to proceed.'

I don't want governments making such decisions.
Old 17-06-2010, 13:04   #430

Boat: Silverton 42
"The Sunderlands did not carelessly endanger their daughter as many suggest." (from the article). Nope - they carefully endangered their daughter. As far as adjectives are concerned - how about 'needlessly' or 'irresponsibly'.... Cheers,
Bill
Old 17-06-2010, 13:04   #431
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
There's been various suggestions on this thread to subjectively save certain lives and let others fend for themselves.

Sorry, who has said that?

Old 17-06-2010, 13:36   #432
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
For sure on the prirates adrift thread. But just under the surface there have some on this thread that have at semi suggested it.
Old 17-06-2010, 14:05   #433
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
For sure on the prirates adrift thread. But just under the surface there have some on this thread that have at semi suggested it.
I don't think anyone on this forum seriously thinks children should not be rescued.

If they did, here or in 'real' life they would be treated with the utmost contempt.

Cranky old blokes like us though.... One wonders if the recue crew will just sit by and play cards!

Old 17-06-2010, 14:10   #434

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
No Mark, they'll definately come out to your boat. However they may be inclined to lend you some tools so you can fix er up and get it home, but remove the rest of the crew as a safety precaution.

Greg
Old 17-06-2010, 14:47   #435

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Stating a victim should pay for their rescue infers that if they don't pay, that don't get rescued.

I took the liberty and connected those dots.....
Closed Thread