Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 12:45   #361
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Exactly. I describe this as being "delighfully crazy." You may not agree with the exact phrase, but it is part of why we revere Sir Robin.
"A World of My Own" is one of my favorite books- no phony drama, just getting the job done.
Old 14-06-2010, 13:59   #362
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zing! . . . Richard Spindler, publisher of Latitude 38, has editorialized on the Abby Sunderland phenomenon, and includes a lot of information most people probably don't know:

"Dear Abby, Huge Storm Approaching!

"June 14, 2010 – The World of Sailing

"Having resided in the confines of a sheltered world, we're not sure if Abby Sunderland yet understands that when she returns to the States, she's likely to face a bigger storm than any she saw in the Southern Ocean."

To read the entire, lengthy editorial, go to:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

TaoJones
Old 14-06-2010, 14:31   #363
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
From Latitude 38:
"This was particularly critical on Abby's Open 40, because in order to carry a huge main, the boat only has running backstays. Based on what happened, Mann speculates that Abby might not have dragged a drogue, the boat might have jibed, which would cause the unsupported mast to collapse. But as he says, that's just speculation.
A boat without a fixed backstay in the Southern Ocean during the winter? Wow, that's more faith than we've ever had in anything!"

Cheezus! Now I've heard it all.
Nutz.
Old 14-06-2010, 15:29   #364
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Only in LA

I think they should make a movie about this and call it "It's a Rube Goldberg Life". I'm flabbergasted really. I suspect their true religion is Fundamentalist Flim-Flam but maybe they do hear the voice of god guiding them. It is apparent that, as they say, "sound knowledge" doesn't enter into the process.

Old 14-06-2010, 15:58   #365

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Oh NO....here we go again......yeah let's write another law. Under the guise of Responsible boating and public safety. NOT!!! When are people going to wake up....look at the mess we are in....way too many taxes and IMHO way to many laws. Isn't that why many of us cruise?....to escape many of the taxes and laws that we have on land?
YES!

I had to take a boater's safety course in Virginia last year. What a joke and waste of time. It was spoon feed to everyone, adults and children, to the point the dog could have pasted.
Old 14-06-2010, 16:26   #366

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I AM NOT REALLY IN FAVOR OF SUCH BEHAVIOR BUT THE PLANET IS OVER POPULATED AND IF THE HAIR BRAINS WANT TO DO THEMSELVES IN OR BECOME HEROES SO BE IT.IF THEY ARE CHILDREN IT'S THE PARENTS SHOULD BE MAKING THE CALL IF BEYOUND PARENTAL CONTROL- IS THERE A BIG DIFFERENCE IF THEY DO THEMSELVES IN WITH BOATS-SMOKING- DRUGS-MOTOR CYCLES-ALCOHOL OR THE MILITARY
Old 14-06-2010, 16:33   #367
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
.......................... OR THE MILITARY

was an acceptable rant till this, sure gald my wife and I each spent over 10 years in the service to allow you the freedom to say it
Old 14-06-2010, 17:17   #368

Boat: C&C 34
Thumbs down For real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
THEY DO THEMSELVES IN WITH BOATS-SMOKING- DRUGS-MOTOR CYCLES-ALCOHOL OR THE MILITARY
Yeah what is up with that? My grandfather, father, numerous uncles and myself spent years in the military. No of us joined to "DO OURSELF IN". We did it to protect your dumb ass....
Old 14-06-2010, 17:37   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Dear Abby, Huge Storm Approaching!
Wow! I always believed Abby to be a talented and accomplished sailor. After reading the Latitude 38 article, I'm not so sure. But, she sailed around the Horn and I'm still inclined to believe that under different circumstances she was perfectly capable of a solo, nonstop, unassisted circumnavigation.

I feel sorry for her because I think her only personal sin, if any, was wanting to kick her brother's butt. If it was her Dad's butt, she'd have an overwhelming army of supporters. The sins of the father are too often visited upon the children. And Abby will sadly reap the fruits of her mercenary nut-case parents' well deserved condemnation.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 14-06-2010, 18:02   #370

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
OPIE91 Did my time so did my brother and uncles-Are you one of those people who think every war our gervernment and military comitt to is done so to protect our people or nation- my mention of military realy had little to do with that its just another example of youth and the tendancy to take risk and voluntering for service is taking on risk-that I don't personally think our present wars are doing much for our people or government is another matter. I think we are wasting our nations wealth and youth without hitting the target another VN. Might I also remind you that one of our nations great strenghts is our freedom to question the military(even when vets start waving the flag) not so in many other nations
Old 14-06-2010, 18:19   #371
CLOD

Boat: none
the military didn't start the wars
Old 14-06-2010, 19:00   #372
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just a gentle reminder to keep this on topic (Abby Sunderland) and not throw any personal insults.
Old 14-06-2010, 19:44   #373

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Zing! . . . Richard Spindler, publisher of Latitude 38, has editorialized on the Abby Sunderland phenomenon, and includes a lot of information most people probably don't know:
WOW! What a great piece. Thank you Tao for posting this. Spindler has read my mind, and really lays it all out. Sure Abby can sail, and she can sail well... but don't think for a minute that she was the only one calling the shots here. Her "Team" had control. We've heard from "Experts" in this thread that have never been to the Southern Ocean in Winter, "Experts" who've never sailed anything like Abby's boat, and "Experts" who are astonished when anyone on the forum questions anything they post. We've heard from sailors who believe it's their (God) given right to sail anywhere, at any time, and be rescued by anyone that would risk their life to attempt it. We've heard from several who seem to disrespect the Sea. There are some here who will never understand that letting (or leading) your 16 year old daughter sail into the Southern Ocean in mid-Winter is nearly criminal, and some that believe that the red button on the EPIRB is an insurance policy against any and all acts of God. Word is that Abby's parents are planning a flotilla cruise down in the Southern Ocean next year around this time. I hope you all can make it...reserve early! These boats are going fast and simply wont last...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 15-06-2010, 00:19   #374
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In my country, here's what Abby can't do by law:
1 - Get a licence to Drive a car
2 - Get a licence toRide a motorbike
3 - Qualify for a private pilot's licence
4 - Drink alcohol legally
5 - Get married (without parent's signature)
6 - Work in a club or bar
7 - Have a credit card
8 - Get a licence to Teach Scuba
And what she can do:
1 - Smoke
2 - Have a baby
3 - Fly a plane solo!
4 - Scuba dive

I do not wish for the sailing industry to become regulated - but I think a system of self-regulation, such as the SCUBA industry has is perhaps in order. You do not legally need a licence to go scuba diving, but it is generally accepted that it is a sport that carries risks and therefore generally accepted that you should hold a licence if you do it.

If sailors continue to take unnecessary risks, and to allow other sailors to take unnecessary risks, then of course the governments will step in with regulations. I'm sure sailing associations issue guidelines, and if sailors heeded them, I'm sure the world would be safer.
Old 15-06-2010, 01:05   #375
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Such as faith making Abby an agent of god rather than just a mere sailor. Such as faith meaning you don't have to worry because you're always in god's hands." Latitude 38, about the Sunderland family's beliefs.

If these beliefs are to be believed, then the sailing world should accept that this whole mission was word from God to bloomin well start imposing some (self) regulation on the sport before a child does get killed.

To exacerbate the situation even further: "And, in the case of Abby's parents, faith that if their daughter was killed, they would at least be reunited with her for eternity in heaven."

These guys clearly had accepted that the chances of their daughter perishing were high, and yet still allowed her to sail into the face of danger. The more I read, the more I feel these parents should be charged with attempted murder. What would we do with the teenager who dared his friend to play chicken in front of a train?
Closed Thread