Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2009, 09:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Abby Sunderland - SoloRound

Abby Sunderland - SoloRound
From Abby's Blog

"Right now I am fifteen years old (will be 16 on October 19th). I am planning to leave on a solo circumnavigation November of this year and hopefully set the record as the youngest ever to do so."

From Abby's Blog ➥ Abby's Blog

Abby's Project Global Breeze, which is working with Kauffman Sports Management Group, also is offering vessel naming rights, along with various levels of sponsorship that, if acquired, will plaster her boat and sails with various company logos. Potential sponsors can contact Matt Tolnick at Kauffman Sports Management Group (310-456-5400) for more information.

Project Global Breeze ➥ http://www.kauffmansports.com/content/Abby_Presskit.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 12:25   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
More people that want others to pay for their cruise
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 12:31   #3
cruiser

Gord are you stirring up trouble?
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 12:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We'll see.

Since Jessica's stunt has generated numerous threads, I thought I might provide an anchor point, for the inevitable discussion to follow these girls' exploits.

Old 21-10-2009, 13:08   #5
cruiser

Is it at all possible to become a matter of diminishing returns?
How many of these exploits will it take before it becomes a non issue?
Or will it always create a stir?

Is there a category for worst sailor to circumnavigate?
Might be a place for me after all LOL.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:13   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
More people that want others to pay for their cruise
I don't see that in a negative lite. Ella Bache never heard of them until they
decided to advertise using a 16 year old sailor and a record attempt. So They may think they are buying advertising at a great price. If ella bache would like to give me enough money Ill paint my boat pink and go sailing too. maybe start using skin care products.
I have no interest in a solo non stop unassisted attempt. So before you break out your check books I just want to sail around.
I have done enough solo sailing to understand there are times when you cannot go to sleep. Also it is very challenging being exhausted and keeping a check on ones performance. 300 or so days is a long time to be alone even with all the new communications. Its not an experience I would want on my children at age of 16. If they are qualified and want to I would enjoy seeing them sail just not solo non stop circumnavigating.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:30   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
Is there a category for worst sailor to circumnavigate?
Might be a place for me after all LOL.
Naw, Michael, the Bumfuzzle Bums, Ali and Pat Schulte, have already set the bar way too high for anyone else to make a serious claim as the worst sailor(s) to circumnavigate.

TaoJones
Old 21-10-2009, 13:57   #8

I don't have the energy to read all the Abby info, so maybe I'm wrong. But it sounds like:

1. She plans to leave from Marina del Rey in November 2009.

2. As of October 14, 2009 she does not have a boat.

3. She was going to buy something called a Class 40 racing boat in the Bahamas.

4. But, now she is going to buy the same or some other boat in Newport, R.I.

I think I'm becoming a Jessica Watson fan.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 17:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Shouldnt her parents stop her.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 17:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Shouldnt her parents stop her.
Well, they let her brother do it, so I guess that aint gonna happen. Of course, she only has a month or so to get a boat, and I guess her brother's boat isn't good enough. For parents with experience at this very thing, they don't seem to have learned much.

Old 21-10-2009, 17:44   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Well, they let her brother do it, so I guess that aint gonna happen. Of course, she only has a month or so to get a boat, and I guess her brother's boat isn't good enough. For parents with experience at this very thing, they don't seem to have learned much.
I think this judgment may be a bit harsh, slomo. Let's consider the position the Sunderlands are in: They're a working class family with seven children. Zac, the eldest, had virtually grown up on the water, and had invested many, many hours in prepping his vessel, along with his father, a shipwright, for the circumnavigation. He was probably about as ready for his attempt as any sailor that age ever will be, but his Islander 36, purchased for $6000, took a beating.

Without another thorough re-fit, that vessel is not capable of another punishing circumnavigation. I think it would even be negligent if the parents told their daughter she should use that boat for her attempt.

But they can't be less encouraging to Abby than they were to Zac or they will sacrifice all credibility with, most likely, all of their children. Given their middle-class economic situation, seeking sponsorship is probably the only way they can mount another huge sailing effort.

It may well be that Abby simply cannot put all the pieces in place to attempt her record voyage. I imagine the parents are aware of this and that Abby probably is, too. There is little chance that Abby will ever set out, IMO.

So I don't think that it's that the Sunderlands haven't learned very much. More than likely, they know more about this than anyone besides Mike Perham's parents, and it may very well be that observing Mike Perham's effort provided them with the knowledge that a gold-plated, sponsored record-attempt is the best way to mount a serious effort.

TaoJones
Old 23-10-2009, 16:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
There is little chance that Abby will ever set out, IMO.
I'm inclined to agree. And, my harsh judgment is mostly based on the parents' continuing efforts to raise money for this young lady without admitting that there is no way that she is going to set off next month in a boat that she doesn't have yet.

Zak's accomplishment was truly noteworthy, in part, because of the boat he used. And, yes - it's probably beat to hell. But, its preparation was completely different from the get-a-boat-and-go nonsense that these parents are peddling for Abby.

OTOH, I know from experience that no parent can survive the "well, you helped my brother do it" argument. Probably, every kid in this family will make a record attempt - or at least get a web page threatening to do so.

Old 28-10-2009, 05:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Abby’s acquired the boat - an Open 40 (“Wild Eyes”).

See Abby’s blog ➥ Abby's Blog

Old 28-10-2009, 05:27   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
So what do we think about a 16 year old girl sailing an open 40 around the world,

good idea?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 07:49   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So what do we think about a 16 year old girl sailing an open 40 around the world,
good idea?
Bad idea. Not criminally so, but certainly not wise.

Generally, I think 16 year old adolescents (on the cusp of emerging adulthood) should stay home, finish high school (at the minimum); whilst continuing to prepare for future great adventures (if they so wish), and acquiring a little more knowledge, experience, and physical, intellectual, & emotional maturity (one hallmark of which, is the understanding and application of the principles “delayed gratification”).

But, then, what do I know?
I’m just an over-the-hill CLOD poseur, living out what's left of my bitter life through my keyboard.