Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2010, 06:35   #76
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
First, of course, is the type of vessel. Jesse is aboard a rugged S&S with pretty much standard everything. Abby, on the other hand, is on a regular handful of a boat, complete with mylar headsail. I do have to ask why?

Yes. I accept her rig is very low-aspect for this type of vessel, and that's a good thing, but everything about her boat is fairly high-tec, whereas Jesse has a lot of low-tech, with some high tec.

And so I have to question the decision of those who made the decision, of sending Abby around the world in a fast, hard-to-handle vessel, rather than the Jesse version.

Like, what's the point?
This is a pretty good summary of exactly what happened when Abby's brother Zac became the youngest to circumnavigate last July, only to have a slightly younger British sailor snatch the record away some six weeks later when he completed his similar effort aboard a 50' racing sled called TotallyMoney. Much like Jessica, Zac made his voyage aboard an older, slower cruising vessel from the 80s - an Islander that he purchased with his own $6000 savings, then made ready for the voyage with his father's considerable help.

All that said, the record is currently Mike Perham's - until Jessica returns to Sydney Harbor in April-May of this year. Sadly, for her, her feat will only be "the record" 'til Abby returns to her home port in June-July. This assumes, of course, that both will succeed in their quests.

Making assumptions about planned circumnavigations is a good way to make oneself look foolish, but here's hoping both young ladies are successful.

TaoJones
Old 30-01-2010, 16:40   #77

Boat: Charter
According to Abby's blog today, she determined that her solar panels and fuel for the generator were not sufficient meet the energy needs of her boat. She is also having electrical problems with wiring in the mast. She is going to land in Cabo san Lucas, Mexico to effect repairs and will restart her circumnavigation from there.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 17:41   #78

Boat: Farrier f27
Not calculating the energy generation/consumption needs correctly kind of makes me think this trip has been rushed which is never a good idea. There's been a fair amount of speculation about the being rushed issue which really is driven by two things: to be the youngest and the Southern change of seasons.
I wish her and her team/family the best but, how do they think they're going to get their fuel calcs right & how much fuel can they store.

I hate to say it but I've got a bad feeling on this one. Though I don't think they'll push things into marginalizing safety, the solo/nonstop is in jeopardy.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 18:00   #79
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm a bit apprehensive about Abby's attempt, too, Randy. And it's precisely that "rushed" aspect of it that worries me.

Putting in at Cabo doesn't jeopardize her non-stop, unassisted attempt, however.

How can that be?

Well, because she has yet to cross the equator, she can re-start - and finish - in Cabo San Lucas, and as long as she doesn't stop anywhere else nor receive assistance, her "record" attempt is still intact. In fact, she can stop as many times as she wants north of the equator, as long as she makes no stops after crossing the equator and returns to her new point of departure at the end of her globe-circling voyage.

The week-long trip down from LA to Cabo will have been just a shake-down cruise - something that was badly needed, IMO. I hope the repairs are effected quickly and that the problems are solved for good, but still, there is that apprehensive feeling, isn't there?

TaoJones
Old 30-01-2010, 19:13   #80

Yes, I'm thinking their may be other required stops in the future which is what it is. Circumnavigating nonstop is no simple feat.
Old 30-01-2010, 21:14   #81

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yes, I'm thinking their may be other required stops in the future which is what it is. Circumnavigating nonstop is no simple feat.
To my knowledge the only system failure experienced by Jesse has been her Dickinson Diesel heater.

Sure, the dunny breaking loose when she rolled is pretty bad, but in over 100 days at sea she's had none of the problems suffered by Abby.

It seems the significant difference is; one attempt is very well organised, while the other is not.

I hope that Abby and her shore crew will take a deep breath during her stop and rethink and rearrange matters....adding a mechanical wind-vane being one matter requiring attention.

BTW: Unless I missed something, I was surprised to discover that Jesse hasn't got a water-maker. Perhaps that's all to do with power drain. Dunno. But the water must be getting a bit fetid by now.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 22:38   #82

From Jessica's Blog, Nov 9 2009:

Quote:
As an emergency backup Pink Lady's also carrying a little hand desalinater, but judging by the amount of water I was so easily able to collect today, I don't think that I'll ever need it.
sailorbyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 22:40   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbyfate View Post
From Jessica's Blog, Nov 9 2009:

As an emergency backup Pink Lady's also carrying a little hand desalinater, but judging by the amount of water I was so easily able to collect today, I don't think that I'll ever need it.
Where did you read that?
Old 31-01-2010, 05:36   #84

Boat: Charter
Jessicawatson.com.au: November 2009, scroll down to the November 9 entry.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:44   #85

I thought this was a thread on Abby's trip
Old 31-01-2010, 10:47   #86

This boat was extensively rewired as part of the refit. Sea trials revealed problems with the charging system and the charging system was again completely rewired just a few days before departure. My impression is that there was inadequate real world testing/troubleshooting thereafter. I don't know whether the solar panels (7, I think) plus two wind generators are really not providing the expected output or whether the monitoring system is faulty. Apparently, they now plan to add two batteries to the existing three battery bank.

Also, what's up with the TWO autopilots? When I first saw reference to this, I took it to mean that she had a spare. But, the boat specs and other references make it sound like she is using two active autopilots. Is this just a built-in redundant/fall back system, or does it actually require two autopilots to steer this boat?

It's beginning to sound like: High tech boat + high tech upgrade overkill = self defeating complexity.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:48   #87
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I thought this was a thread on Abby's trip
Randy is correct: Let's let each of these adventurous teenage sailors have her own thread, and keep the off-topic posts out of them. Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 31-01-2010, 12:24   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

two Simple questions . . . (1) has an open 40 or a class 40 completed already completed a non-stop circumnavigation? With a guick google I see several that have done RTW wth stops, but don't see one that has done a non-stop.

(2) It look like the standard tankage on these boat is about 30 gals. Did they increase the tankage on wild eyes? 30 gals will get them only about 30 days.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 13:45   #89

1.) Yes, Jan Moeller sailed an Open 40 non-stop around the world in 2004.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 21:17   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Randy is correct: Let's let each of these adventurous teenage sailors have her own thread, and keep the off-topic posts out of them. Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Frankly, Tao, I think that's an unreasonable request. The differences between the two camps make perfect counterfoils for discussion. On the one hand we have what appears to be a well organised, solid campaign, compared to the other.

It is the constant comparisons between the two which provide good learning opportunities for others who solo.

It seems to me, from reading the blogs of both, that each competitor is a quite extraordinary person. It seems Abby's attempt is being let down by her vessel.

I have not seen any contributor here take 'sides'. All I have seen is well considered comparisons.

I believe you should allow that to continue.