Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 11:08   #91

what i heard yesterday was that the fishing boat is going to keep on fishing once they have her aboard and she will be returned to land once they have their quota. my understanding is that they captain or owners made this quite clear when asked to respond to her situation
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16   #92

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Can anyone verify the story that the captain of fishing vessel fell overboard during the rescue? it was said he was recovered uninjured but at great difficulty. Glad she is OK and hope she can learn from this experience and come out for the better.
Erika
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40   #93
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Can anyone verify the story that the captain of fishing vessel fell overboard during the rescue? it was said he was recovered uninjured but at great difficulty. Glad she is OK and hope she can learn from this experience and come out for the better.
Erika
I read that, as well, Erika, but as far as verifying it, well, no one who wasn't on the scene at the time and saw it happen could actually verify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
what i heard yesterday was that the fishing boat is going to keep on fishing once they have her aboard and she will be returned to land once they have their quota. my understanding is that they captain or owners made this quite clear when asked to respond to her situation
Abby will be transferred to a French patrol boat, I've read, in about two days. It is not an easy thing to schedule such a rendezvous. She will remain with the patrol vessel until it returns to Reunion Island, the report indicated.

TaoJones
Old 12-06-2010, 13:10   #94

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
Sunderland will leave the French fishing boat in about two days to board a maritime patrol boat that will take her to Reunion Island, according to a statement from the office of the French Indian Ocean island’s top official. The transfer will take place off the Kerguelen Islands, with the exact timing depending on weather and ocean conditions.
The Ile De La Reunion was fishing in the area of the Kerguelen Islands when it diverted to pick Abby up, so I presume the fishing boat will continue to fish on the way back to the Kerguelens to rendezvous with a French patrol vessel. I would imagine they will transfer at Port Aux Francais to avoid having to do another transfer on the open ocean.
Old 12-06-2010, 15:18   #95

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
It seems that salvage is not in the works, as a comment from Abby about not seeing Wild Eyes again seems to indicate she is reconciled to losing her boat. I suppose some enterprising fellow might try, but the probability is that it will be eventually sunk by naval gunfire to prevent it becoming a hazard to navigation.
Usually in this situation the boat is scuppered at the time of rescue to remove this risk. Must be hard though, to have to open the sea-cocks as you leave!
Old 12-06-2010, 15:34   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
Usually in this situation the boat is scuppered at the time of rescue to remove this risk. Must be hard though, to have to open the sea-cocks as you leave!
What a quaint and sentimental 20th Century point of view. In the 21st Century you simply create a web page and start collecting tow money:

Help Save Abby Sunderland's Boat Wild Eyes | Abigail Sunderland

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 16:03   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
What a quaint and sentimental 20th Century point of view. In the 21st Century you simply create a web page and start collecting tow money:

Help Save Abby Sunderland's Boat Wild Eyes | Abigail Sunderland
How COOL is that !!!?
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 16:16   #98
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would be very surprised to learn that Abby and / or her family or anyone associated with her effort has any connection to the attempt to raise money to "save Wild Eyes." More than likely, it's just another internet opportunist, trying to appeal to people's gullibility in an emotionally-charged moment.

TaoJones
Old 12-06-2010, 16:21   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I would be very surprised to learn that Abby and / or her family or anyone associated with her effort has any connection to the attempt to raise money to "save Wild Eyes." More than likely, it's just another internet opportunist, trying to appeal to people's gullibility in an emotionally-charged moment.

TaoJones
Oh, no! Et tu Tao? How quaint and 20th Century of you.

I found the link prominently displayed on: http://abbysunderland.com.

It's also on her blog page: http://soloround.blogspot.com/

Old 12-06-2010, 16:27   #100
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Oh, no! Et tu Tao? How quaint and 20th Century of you.

I found the link prominently displayed on Abby Sunderland | Abigail Sunderland | Wild Eyes | Youngest Solo Circumnavigator | Shoecity.com Sponsor.
Wow . . . that is very disappointing. Thanks, slomo.

[Edit: When I tried to open the page earlier, only the banner and the quote from Abby would display, so it looked to me like a "placeholder" until a way could be crafted to solicit donations. I've now gotten the whole page opened.

I'll just state it again . . . very disappointing.]

TaoJones
Old 12-06-2010, 16:39   #101

Is there a fund to simply take Laurie Sunderland out there and drop him off on Wild Eyes?
Noztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 16:45   #102
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Is there a fund to simply take Laurie Sunderland out there and drop him off on Wild Eyes?
Who is "Laurie Sunderland?"

TaoJones
Old 12-06-2010, 16:55   #103

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
I will donate just let me now where
I have not read all the posts so not sure if this was talked about but her father was interviewed on Australian radio prior to her being found and he indicated that the boat had capsized based on the drift rate calculated from EPIRB. At the time I thought this was a little odd but looking back I suspect suspect he was saying this to get more attention. Those that look down there nozzes at people like myself that are not impressed with Jessica Watson/Abby Sunderland escapades and brand them as synical money making exercises now no why we think this way.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 17:13   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I will donate just let me now where
I have not read all the posts so not sure if this was talked about but her father was interviewed on Australian radio prior to her being found and he indicated that the boat had capsized based on the drift rate calculated from EPIRB. At the time I thought this was a little odd but looking back I suspect suspect he was saying this to get more attention. Those that look down there nozzes at people like myself that are not impressed with Jessica Watson/Abby Sunderland escapades and brand them as synical money making exercises now no why we think this way.
Your cynicism is deplorable, especially in light of the pressing food issue. I'm sure the Sunderlands weren't planning on having to feed her for another couple of months. But I can't find the Help Feed Abby donation page.

Old 12-06-2010, 17:23   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Who is "Laurie Sunderland?"

TaoJones
That would be that father of Abby and the alleged brains behind this venture.
Noztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb