Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:52   #61

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Might be a reference to life raft provisions
It could also be in reference to the amount of water that she has been able to make. I think that she would have tried to keep a MINIMUM of 2 weeks of water supply. My bet is, she has an engine driven water-maker and a hand pump water-maker.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04   #62
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I thought typo.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:12   #63

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
lower third is the island (forgotten its name K...lean)
Kerguelen Islands I believe. That would put her in the Roaring Forties would it not?. I presume she was trying to catch the Westerlies on her way to Australia?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40   #64
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Kerguelen Islands I believe. That would put her in the Roaring Forties would it not?. I presume she was trying to catch the Westerlies on her way to Australia?
Yes, the Kerguelen Islands.
For folks that love a bit of isolation they are one of the most remote places on earth
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-most-remote-places-on-planet-earth.php

Predominatly westerlies, but move about the lows so from what I understand there is stuff from every direction each gale including calms. This can be born out with that passage weather chart.
one of the reasons why its such a difficult sail is its not like the trade winds where you would put up your sails in africa and go below for a few weeks. You have to trim the whole time.

The only person who has gone down that way on this forum, as far as I know, is Evans. So he will have much better information.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:55   #65
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is a flyover photo and update on her blog, now:

Abby's Blog

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2010, 12:06   #66

Boat: Looking for a new boat
A fishing boat in that water is going to be a Chilean Sea Bass boat poaching fish. At least they can do some good out there by helping a fellow mariner. Now if only they would stop raping our oceans
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:14   #67

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
one of the reasons why its such a difficult sail is its not like the trade winds where you would put up your sails in africa and go below for a few weeks. You have to trim the whole time.
I've never sailed in the Southern Hemisphere, but that confirms what I have heard. Between the 40th and 50th parallels you can be in for a long hard haul
Old 11-06-2010, 12:26   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
That would be correct......are there 2 threads going at once? I'm confused...

She is a bit far north for the westerlies and probably in some pretty confused seas. When sailing in the Westerlies, one must be prepared to grit your teeth and put up with the bad weather. AGAIN....I'm not second guessing the stradegy of Abby or her team. They have current weather inf. We don't
Old 11-06-2010, 12:48   #69

Boat: Force 5, 13 feet, Binouchka
> Abby's Blog:
Abby's Blog

It was great to see the photo at Abby's blog. Obviously the mast is gone, but I was somewhat surprised to see that the sea state is actually much better than I would have anticipated from the first hand accounts of what to expect in that neck of the woods. I do understand that this is after the last storm has passed through and that things can change quickly, but it does auger well for a transfer once the fishing vessel reaches her, provided they move quickly.

As for the prospects of a tow, I'm certainly no expert so would appreciate comments from those with the needed background - given the distances is this even a remote possibility?
PieRatPeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:51   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, the Kerguelen Islands.
For folks that love a bit of isolation they are one of the most remote places on earth
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-most-remote-places-on-planet-earth.php

Predominatly westerlies, but move about the lows so from what I understand there is stuff from every direction each gale including calms. This can be born out with that passage weather chart.

The only person who has gone down that way on this forum, as far as I know, is Evans. So he will have much better information.
I sailed to Antarctica in '95. The beauty of the So Ocean westerleys is that they are as consistent as the trades in the summer. Winter is a little more tricky because the lows travel very fast. You can get hit by 2 cold fronts in 3 days. It appears that she was working the fringe. In a fast boat like Abby has, one can do that. The problem is, the wind might be 50kts from the West and the seas from that wind can be 40'. Farther south a 40' sea in 50kts is actually fairly comfortable in a fast boat because you have a long trough. Where Abby is, the 40' sea coming from the West will often pile on top of a 25' sea coming at a 90 degree angle from a weather system farther north. That 40' sea will "Trip" over the 25' swell and break (creating a 70' breaking wave). That's not fun. I've been there and been knocked down several times in that stuff. However, my slower boat muck much less vulnerable to dis-masting due to far less inertia when getting hit with a breaking wave.

It's pretty complicated stuff, sailing in those waters. Had the rig not failed, everyone would have a lot more respect for Abby and her team. However, very few on this planet would actually know what an accomplishment she has and would have done...........

BRAVO ABBY......
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58   #71

There is big media attention to Abby. I have often tried to find out what media has written lately about the sailors, by doing do an advanced google search, exact phrase "Jessica Watson" or "Abby Sunderland" or others, only last 24 hours.

For Jessica this search reached 1.2 million hits the day after her homecoming. Searching "Abby Sunderland", only last 24 hours, right now gives 2,1 million hits.

It is featured in the TV news and many newspapers in Sweden, bigger than for Jessica.

What's big in the USA is big in the world.
bengtinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:06   #72

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Nah!....If Jessica had been demasted and SAR sent out it would have been even bigger...Abby has pretty much seen little of the attention Jessica did in comparison up till now.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:17   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieRatPeat View Post
> Abby's Blog:
Abby's Blog

It was great to see the photo at Abby's blog. Obviously the mast is gone, but I was somewhat surprised to see that the sea state is actually much better than I would have anticipated from the first hand accounts of what to expect in that neck of the woods. I do understand that this is after the last storm has passed through and that things can change quickly, but it does auger well for a transfer once the fishing vessel reaches her, provided they move quickly.

As for the prospects of a tow, I'm certainly no expert so would appreciate comments from those with the needed background - given the distances is this even a remote possibility?
At sea rescues are extremely dangerous in the best of times. Two boats coming along side each other in a rolling sea is not pretty. My guess is, they will launch an inflatable from the fishing boat and take her off in that. Even that is very risky. This will be the most dangerous part of her entire journey.

Towing the vessel can be done. They would have to cut away the mast and tow it at about 6kts for several days. It depends on whether the vessel owner wants to pay that expense. I would think that vessel may be worth it. I'd say that the bill would be in the range of $100-300K, depending on the size of the fishing boat, the amount of crew and their abilities and equipment, it could be done.

BTW.....I would be happy to chip in if there is a fund somewhere. I would love to see them tow that boat to Reunion. It could easily be repaired there and she could be sent on her way.

Reunion Island is one of the most remarkable islands that I have ever been to. It's sorta like waking into downtown Paris. All the modern highways, cars and boat repair facilities. I wish that I had her email address. I would write to them.
Old 11-06-2010, 19:21   #74

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Reunion is not close to Abby, it's just where French Indian Ocean S&R sector is coordinated from.

Closest landfall to Abby is actually St.Paul island (near Amsterdam Island that Jess passed), about 200nm NE of her. There's a good sheltered anchorage in the flooded extinct crater.

Edit: using the published EPIRB I make it 170 NM to St.Paul Isle from her position acc. to my trusty great circle route spreadsheet.
Old 11-06-2010, 19:39   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
Reunion is not close to Abby, it's just where French Indian Ocean S&R sector is coordinated from.

Closest landfall to Abby is actually St.Paul island (near Amsterdam Island that Jess passed), about 200nm NE of her. There's a good sheltered anchorage in the flooded extinct crater.

Edit: using the published EPIRB I make it 170 NM to St.Paul Isle from her position acc. to my trusty great circle route spreadsheet.
I haven't actually looked at a chart of her position. I thought that I herd, early on, that she was 400NM SE of Reunion. I am presuming that the fishing vessel that is on the way to her position is from Mauritius. That wouldn't be my choice to take the vessel for repairs. I know nothing about St.Paul Island but I doubt there would be adequate facilities there and I also doubt the capt'n of the fishing vessel would entertain the idea of towing to there.

Towing may not even be an option. I just hope that the idea has been explored.

Can someone please post her position?

Tags
epirb