Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-06-2010, 21:04   #76

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Can someone please post her position?
If you go to this wiki article on Amsterdam Island her position is basically that dot in the middle of the globe picture, to within the scale of that map.

The fishing boat is French and thus probably based at Réunion, so she might well be taken back that way. It is 1500 nm away though. Appropriate name for meeting her parents at though!

Old 11-06-2010, 21:23   #77

I am very glad that she is alive and well with high spirits.. By the way, what happened to my last post on this thread?? Please tell me it wasn't edited out????

Old 11-06-2010, 21:56   #78
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
down at number #6 as best I can tell ; -)

Was there another that should be there? because I don't see any edited posts... if one is missing it is prolly a cyber glitch.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 22:04   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
I am very glad that she is alive and well with high spirits.. By the way, what happened to my last post on this thread?? Please tell me it wasn't edited out????
The moderators moved a bunch of posts from this thread to the "Abby Sunderland: The Debate" thread - those which did not directly relate to information about her situation.

Abby Sunderland - The Debate
Old 11-06-2010, 22:06   #80
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
yep got it in one Paradix. I hadn't plugged that in. Go check in the debate thread Shadow.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 22:07   #81

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
If you go to this wiki article on Amsterdam Island her position is basically that dot in the middle of the globe picture, to within the scale of that map.

The fishing boat is French and thus probably based at Réunion, so she might well be taken back that way. It is 1500 nm away though. Appropriate name for meeting her parents at though!
The Indian Ocean fishing fleet is based in Mauritius (also basically French). Reunion is basically the French version of Hawaii only a lot smaller.
Old 11-06-2010, 22:15   #82
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Is this it:

Abby Sunderland - The Debate (post #23)

I opened that thread last night to provide a place for those who would rather argue about the advisability of Abby being out there in the first place, even while there was great uncertainty about whether she was still alive. Some members expressed a desire to keep this thread clear for breaking news of her condition, and found the petty arguments about Abby and her parents during the time when no one knew if she was still alive very unseemly.

I moved a lot of posts out of this thread and into that one for that purpose - far too many to send everyone a personal PM letting them know. BTW, you can always find your own post by opening your User CP, clicking on Statistics, then clicking on find all posts by shadow.

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2010, 22:16   #83
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
The moderators moved a bunch of posts from this thread to the "Abby Sunderland: The Debate" thread - those which did not directly relate to information about her situation.

Abby Sunderland - The Debate
Heh . . . thanks for that, Paradix. I should learn to be as economical with words as you.

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2010, 22:50   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I'm glad to hear that Abby is "safe". She sounds like a resourceful young lady, and she appears to have the right stuff in an extreme situation. I hope the remainder of the rescue proceeds without a major problem.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 23:24   #85

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
Can someone please post her position?
40°48′S 74°58′E.
Old 12-06-2010, 00:45   #86

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I'm glad to hear that Abby is "safe". She sounds like a resourceful young lady, and she appears to have the right stuff in an extreme situation. I hope the remainder of the rescue proceeds without a major problem.

Ditto That...And yes Abby and Jess both are truly two amazing young women.

As far as a sea transfer...if she has her survival suit on..ditching in the water would be the safest I would think..then being picked up by either the fishing boats skiff or helped up boarding nets ( Or what ever there called ) hung off the gunnel's.

Or how ever else you real in a mermaid...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
BTW.....I would be happy to chip in if there is a fund somewhere. I would love to see them tow that boat to Reunion. It could easily be repaired there and she could be sent on her way.
I second this motion. I would be willing to donate money to see the boat towed and repaired. The reality is that Abby's dismasting is very low and the list of terrible things that could happen during a solo circumnavigation. This can include a man overboard situation, a fire on board, having to completely ditch the boat, and others. This is a dangerous game, but I have a feeling she is well aware of this and upon her return she will make it clear that she hasn't been deterred.

If she wasn't aware that this could happen then she wasn't fully prepared for what the sea has to throw at her.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17   #88

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendays View Post
If she wasn't aware that this could happen then she wasn't fully prepared for what the sea has to throw at her.
Hardly...I think any sailor who isn't aware of this would be about as likely as a driver of an automobile unaware of the possibility of a flat tire.. That ain't happening in her league.

Its a calculated risk...one of many we all know about and hope not to face..but bring the tools along to deal with.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:28   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Good to see her picked up safely! Nice work.

I wonder about the salvage

She gets a choice of a fishing boat to Reunion 1,500nms upwind or Perth 2,000nms downwind.... I would take the 2,000nms downwind.... but she might check the crew out before deciding!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:17   #90

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
It seems that salvage is not in the works, as a comment from Abby about not seeing Wild Eyes again seems to indicate she is reconciled to losing her boat. I suppose some enterprising fellow might try, but the probability is that it will be eventually sunk by naval gunfire to prevent it becoming a hazard to navigation.

Tags
epirb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: