Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2016, 09:43   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Abandoned Westsail 32 Free for Taking (Fiji, Pacific)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'd give it back to Bill if found.
I would too, still be neat to do though

Old 14-10-2016, 10:01   #17

Boat: Morgan 462

I found his personal account of what happened. I wish him a speedy recovery, and once his boat is returned to him, and he's had some time to think, he can then decide what's best for his future.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.shaw/p...10418186833528

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 06:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

And more recently ➥ https://www.facebook.com/bill.shaw

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 06:50   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Summed up here: SINGLEHANDER BILL SHAW LOSES HIS BOAT: A Very Different Sort of Ordeal

A cautionary tale for all.
Old 16-10-2016, 06:54   #20
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Abandoned Westsail 32 Free for Taking (Fiji, Pacific)

Hope the foot heals without any debilitating after effects..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 11:56   #21

Boat: OPB = Still Searching for Her

Boats are lost for many reasons, and sometimes the initial cause may seem minor (at the time). This case is a cautionary example because of what might be initially seen as a very common minor injury (something dropped on a foot) a few days later led to unbearable pain and eventual evacuation (rescue).

The second important observation I see here is the response via the radio net and the shore based rescue services and the fishing boat who first found Bill Shaw did not match his expectations or hopes. He was in the Pacific, off Fiji.
_________

An excerpt from Bill Shaw's Facebook post (see link above):

"I much anticipated my departure from Savusavu, Fiji. I'd been there far too long. The refits we're all finished. She was provisioned and ready. My plan was to leave on Monday the 3rd of October.
But on the 30th of September I foolishly dropped my aluminum dinghy on my foot.
It just hurt. No broken bones. No broken skin. Hell, didn't even leave a scrape on the skin. The foot was a bit swollen the next day. But still no discoloration, no indication of anything serious.

I decided this was a minor incident and didn't let it affect my departure plans; including my going away party on Saturday, which was a fantastic party.
Sunday, 2 October, just a little discoloration to go with the swelling. Still no big deal.
I departed Fiji as planned on 3 October. Foot sore but not really and impediment to sailing.
On the 4th day out, it starts to go bad. There are suddenly large blisters on the skin on top of my foot. They quickly pop and I soon have blood and fluids pouring out of me. The blisters keep forming and breaking and now they are bloody. I become concerned about infection. I apply OTC antibacterial ointments. I pour hydrogen peroxide over my foot.
The next morning, 7 Oct, after a night of excruciating pain, I am convinced I need help. I'm at the point where I ask to be evacuated or I lose my foot. At 1000 hrs local I activate my EPIRB. At the normal 0300Z Pacific Seafarer's Net call, I reported my status. I asked Peter, ZL1PWM, to see what response my EPIRB has generated.
The answer was a frustrating, "Not much." This was 5 hrs after activation. Rescue Coordination Center, Wellington, NZ, had immediately responded by notifying RCC, Suva, Fiji. I was in Fiji's area of responsibility. RCC Suva was "deciding" what to do.
I was expecting medivac. Nothing was happening. Peter had RCC, Wellington put some pressure on Suva. Suva responded by "asking Chinese fishing boat to stop by and "see what I needed. "
But now everyone knew what my problem was. I was in extreme pain, blood and plasma pouring out of me. A foot infection that had me worried about dying not just loosing my foot. I needed to be evacuated to a hospital. ASAP."
Ahoy All Sailors! Do you need experienced crew for a long voyage either Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean in 2016-2017? I am available on short notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 12:16   #22

I am curious about the medical diagnosis of the injury. If anyone comes across mention of the specific injury, please post here. Bill Shaw wrote that the dropped dinghy did not break bones or the skin and he had no initial bruising.

Would it be a deeper broken blood vessels beneath the skin, a contusion? From which the blood came to the surface and formed the blister wound?

I am curious about how this kind of injury may develop over time and recommended treatment if anyone knows.
Ahoy All Sailors! Do you need experienced crew for a long voyage either Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean in 2016-2017? I am available on short notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 16-10-2016, 12:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I am curious about the medical diagnosis of the injury. If anyone comes across mention of the specific injury, please post here. Bill Shaw wrote that the dropped dinghy did not break bones or the skin and he had no initial bruising.

Would it be a deeper broken blood vessels beneath the skin, a contusion? From which the blood came to the surface and formed the blister wound?

I am curious about how this kind of injury may develop over time and recommended treatment if anyone knows.

I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like compartment syndrome to me. If so, Bill is to to have kept his foot. A friend lost his arm to compartment syndrome, as did Miles O'Brien from CNN.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 16-10-2016, 13:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like compartment syndrome to me. If so, Bill is to to have kept his foot. A friend lost his arm to compartment syndrome, as did Miles O'Brien from CNN.
David,
Thanks for posting that. I am not a medical professional either, and I had never heard of "Compartment Syndrome."

I did a quick google search and read some articles and it does seem to fit the description of Bill Shaw's injury symptoms. Also, it fits his statement that he feels lucky to still have his foot/leg because of medical treatment.

I am going to post the following as a new post in another forum, so others can see the importance of medical treatment for what may at first appear to be a simple swelling of a limb after some injury.

Here's a few links for others to read (worth reading):

SOURCE: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment_syndrome#

ACUTE Compartment Syndrome:

"Acute compartment syndrome occurs after a traumatic injury such as a car crash. The trauma causes a severe high pressure in the compartment which results in insufficient blood supply to muscles and nerves. Acute compartment syndrome is a medical emergency that requires surgery to correct. If untreated, the lack of blood supply leads to permanent muscle and nerve damage and can result in the loss of function of the limb.[1]"

"Because the fascia layer that defines the compartment does not stretch, a small amount of bleeding into the compartment, or swelling of the muscles within the compartment, can cause the pressure to rise greatly. Common causes of compartment syndrome include tibial or forearm fractures, ischemic reperfusion following injury, hemorrhage, vascular puncture, intravenous drug injection, casts, prolonged limb compression, crush injuries and eschars from burns."

"Failure to relieve the pressure can result in necrosis of tissue in that compartment, "

"If left untreated, acute compartment syndrome can lead to more severe conditions including rhabdomyolysis and kidney failure potentially leading to death."

"Until definitive fasciotomy can be performed, the extremity should be placed at the level of the heart. Hypotension should also be avoided, as this decreases perfusion pressure to the compartment. "

"compartment syndrome can be treated by a surgery known as a fasciotomy. Surgery is the most effective treatment for compartment syndrome. Incisions are made in the affected muscle compartments so that they will decompress. This decompression will relieve the pressure on the venules and lymphatic vessels, and will increase bloodflow throughout the muscle. Left untreated, chronic compartment syndrome can develop into the acute syndrome and lead to permanent muscle and nerve damage."

"PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien suffered a compartment syndrome and had to have his left arm amputated.[21] According to his blog, O'Brien was securing cases filled with camera gear on a cart as he wrapped up a reporting trip to Japan and the Philippines. One fell on his arm. The arm was sore and swollen the next day but worsened on the next, Feb. 14, 2014, and he sought medical care. At the hospital, as his pain increased and arm numbness set in, a doctor recommended an emergency procedure to relieve the pressure within the limb, O'Brien wrote. The doctor made a real-time call and amputated his arm just above the elbow."

This is the commonly used treatment (surgery) used to reduce the pressure from swelling.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciotomy#

The attached photo is from Wikipedia article, and the blisters match the description given by Bill Shaw of his large foot blisters (blood and plasma).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	132968  
Old 16-10-2016, 15:11   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Just a thought but I wonder if a broken bone (26 in the foot) could spill bone marrow into his tissue and blood system causing complications. Just speculatory I know, but you asked.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 17:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

CS, read up on Compartment Syndrome. Scary. The pic is good because it shows you what you never want to see--just look at those blisters!

I'm glad Bill gets to keep his foot. Bad enough to lose the boat.

Ann
Old 16-10-2016, 18:09   #27

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
CS, read up on Compartment Syndrome. Scary. The pic is good because it shows you what you never want to see--just look at those blisters!

I'm glad Bill gets to keep his foot. Bad enough to lose the boat.

Ann
Ya, I saw that after I post what i did. That stuff look scary. I really hope there is a happy ending...especially Bill getting his ride back.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 18:17   #28
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I'm thinking the best medicine for Bill now would be for some good Samaritan to save his boat and give him the option to reclaim his home.

The fact that he is prepared to loose his right in order to save her, tells me he loves that boat.
Old 24-10-2016, 07:52   #29

Boat: Boatless 4Now

Any word on if his boat was found yet??
Old 24-10-2016, 08:23   #30

I don't know about Bill's boat, but I've been "stalking" his Facebook page to see how he is doing. He's steadily improving, and should be leaving the hospital in Las Vegas soon. And his sense of humor is most definitely unaffected! Even though I've never met the man, I think I'd enjoy sharing a few beers with him .

-David

Tags
Fiji, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: