Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2012, 12:13   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: A View On International Travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganministry View Post
I have friends in Scotland. They even have guns, so I will probably be safer there. Scott
Are you kidding, do you know how many calories there are in a deep fried Mars Bar with batter?

I like: What does a deep fried Mars bar taste like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deep-fried-mars-bar.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	35959  

Old 14-01-2012, 12:18   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Are you kidding, do you know how many calories there are in a deep fried Mars Bar with batter?

Right there is the reason the Scottish have the shortest life expectancy in the EU!

Old 15-01-2012, 10:13   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Well just getting the calendar organized for US tax reporting. Last year I travelled 230+ days out of Singapore. Mostly in Asia. 26 days in Thailand. 9 days in Colombia. 14 days in the Philippines.

Maybe I am dead and should just lay down in a box somewhere.

The funniest warning was after Katrina when DoS was recommending avoiding travel to the USA due to interruption of services, localized looting and violence. I almost didn't go to Cincinnati I was so scared...

The devil is in the details and learning how to be a traveller.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 11:19   #64
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A View On International Travel

gun control, drugs, deep fried mars bars, has CF gone soft, hang on wait a minute just let me get my snacks in, a few drinks etc and settle in for a nice flame war

dave
Old 18-01-2012, 20:22   #65

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Send a message via Skype™ to Morganministry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Well... If you are going to die anyway why not die happy

Scott
Old 22-01-2012, 07:22   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: a view on international travel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The current US govt. advice for US citizens is to avoid travel to the UK. Yes, the UK : the country where you have 10% of the chance of being shot, compared to the US. . .
Quote:
The per capita probability of being killed by a firearm, in the UK, is about 10% of that in the US. . .
These are two very different statements and I suspect the second one is the actual quotation from the source.

I would say the first posted one is a fine example of how reporting and reporters twist a technically correct statement (the second post) to innocently mean or infer something entirely different. The first statement seems makes the U.K. to be a dangerous place whereas the second statement says that you are 10 times safer traveling in the U.K. than the U.S.A.

In the second post's statement the relevant portion is underlined. For example, if the chance of being shot in the U.S. is 10%, then the risk in the U.K. is 10% of 10% or 1% NOT 10%. Even that number is not common sense as it infers that 1 out of 100 people are getting shot. Not very likely. There is probably a lot more "qualifications" attached to the statistic from the original report. Or, somebody is hiding an awful lot of bodies.

But anyway, when anybody uses the words "chance of" they are talking in a realm of fantasy. "Chance of" means you might or you might not - the arguments about the validity of the use of "chance" go all the way back 1000's of years. In reality, either you did or you did not "get shot" which could be said to be a 50/50 chance.
Old 29-01-2012, 19:39   #67

Re: a view on international travel...

Quote:
The per capita probability of being killed by a firearm, in the UK, is about 10% of that in the US.

The per capita probability of being murdered by other means is about the same.

Rather a telling argument for gun control, isn't it?
The statistics are misleading.
In the USA, the cities with the highest crime rates and murder rates all have strict gun control laws. The states with the lowest crime rates have the least gun control.
Sweden has the lowest murder rate, but they have the highest rate of gun ownership; including fully automatic weapons.
Old 29-01-2012, 19:50   #68

Quote:
The states with the lowest crime rates have the least gun control.
That is not true. The lowest crime rates in general are in the Northeast where gun control is stricter in general, with Vermont an exception. This is from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Crime rates vary greatly across the states. Overall, New England had the lowest crime rates, for both violent and property crimes. New England states also had the lowest homicide rates in the country.
A closer look at per capita homicide rates for each state from FBI Uniform Crime Reports Bureau of Justice Statistics indicate that Louisiana's per capita homicide rate has ranked 1st every single year from 1989 to 2010, which is 22 consecutive years.
Southern states had the highest overall crime rates. Crime can also be isolated to one particular part of a state. Lafayette, Louisiana, for instance had 6 murders per 100,000 people in 2004, while New Orleans, Louisiana, had 56 murders per 100,000 people according to Bureau of Justice Statistics for the same year.[50]
Old 30-01-2012, 08:37   #69

Boat: Advance Flying Junior, 13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Az View Post
In the USA, the cities with the highest crime rates and murder rates all have strict gun control laws. The states with the lowest crime rates have the least gun control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
That is not true. The lowest crime rates in general are in the Northeast where gun control is stricter in general, with Vermont an exception. This is from Wikipedia:
Quote:
...from FBI Uniform Crime Reports Bureau of Justice Statistics...
Taken directly from the above listed reference...

Quote:
Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.
Just sayin'. There's more to crime statistics than mere gun ownership.
Old 30-01-2012, 09:00   #70

Quote:
The lowest crime rates in general are in the Northeast where gun control is stricter in general, with Vermont an exception...
Montana's rate is lower and they have very few restrictions on ownership of firearms.

New York City has very strict gun laws and an extremely high crime rate.

Washington D.C. has very strict gun laws and an extremely high crime rate.

Chicago has very strict gun laws and an extremely high crime rate.

In England, gun ownership is severely restricted. Did their crime rate decline? No. Now they have banned knives over 2 inches.

Sweden has the highest gun ownership rate of any country (mandatory for males 18 to 45), yet their violent rate is among the lowest.

Guns are merely a tool. Tools can be used for good or evil purposes.
The first murder was committed centuries before gun powder was invented.

It is foolish to blame an inanimate object for crime. The crimes are committed by sick and evil people, so let's not debate whether or not the tool should be banned or restricted. None of my guns have ever hurt anyone.
Old 30-01-2012, 09:18   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Az View Post
In England, gun ownership is severely restricted. Did their crime rate decline? No. Now they have banned knives over 2 inches.
In this little outpost of the (remaining!) English Empire we never went down the gun banning route - indeed, some folk have stuff that needs a tripod and others enough to equip a small army.....albeit that doesn't mean it's legal to wander down the highstreet brandishing an AK47 or a Samuri sword .

What stops the streets being full of dead people is simply that the locals are civilised. Not that others may be better armed.

FWIW I do have some funny stories from elsewhere in the world as a comparison - but can't share as they don't all translate into funny in this part of the world ......but as I have got older I do appreciate living somewhere where you don't even need to consider whether your disputes / actions (or non actions) could end up with getting dead.....and having to reciprocate, in advance. and BTW I have never owned a gun - never needed one. and I'm still here.

Living civilised has a lot going for it - Folks should try it .
Old 30-01-2012, 11:33   #72

It's been awhile since I lived in Europe, but I hit all the free ones and even some citizens could not go to in my military days. Gun ownership was and is strictly controlled. A long gun in England is a single shot or double barrel shotgun. It's very hard to have any rifle other than a bolt action single shot. I use to shoot in tournaments there and I was afforded many "passes" due to my military work and still had issues.

I doubt anyone owns an automatic anything other than law enforcement types.....legally. I have also read that it's illegal to have a knife in your bedroom in Swedan (thinking was someone would be stabbed as you wake up in the dark or something) so I can't see a silly law like that and then saying it would be OK to have an assult rifle in the kitchen.

I was shot at twice in Germany and I was not armed, but was "working" and that is something a traveler would never be exposed to, IMO.

I would walk down the worst street in London anytime as opposed to Queens at 2 AM. I stayed in a motel in NJ and was awakend by a drug deal going down at my door and they were having a disagreement!

Gee, this thread comes up after watching "TAKEN" on the movies last night. The world has changed, but common sence should keep you out of trouble....

There are thosuands of people who have taken a class and think they can use a gun in a confrontation, my bet is that they can not and may loose the weapon! Few military types are trained anymore in close combat with a weapon, to think you can go to a conceal and carry class and walk out an expert is a big mistake, hardly proficient in my book.

Anyway, enjoy.....your travels and just be aware of what is going on around you....situational awarness.
Old 30-01-2012, 14:32   #73
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are thosuands of people who have taken a class and think they can use a gun in a confrontation, my bet is that they can not and may loose the weapon! Few military types are trained anymore in close combat with a weapon, to think you can go to a conceal and carry class and walk out an expert is a big mistake, hardly proficient in my book.
+1:
As a target shooter, this is the main reason why the idea doesnt work

Dave
Old 30-01-2012, 16:00   #74

Quote:
Montana's rate is lower and they have very few restrictions on ownership of firearms.
Crime index per 100,000 residents base on FBI statistics (higher number is worse) from here:

2010 New York State = 2333.3
2010 Montana = 2816

And the state of New York has about 20 times the population of Montana, including New York City with more than eight times the population of Montana.
Old 30-01-2012, 16:47   #75

Boat: Advance Flying Junior, 13'

Quote:
Crime index per 100,000 residents base on FBI statistics (higher number is worse) from here:

2010 New York State = 2333.3
2010 Montana = 2816

And the state of New York has about 20 times the population of Montana, including New York City with more than eight times the population of Montana.
What does that mean, when the overall violent crime rate is like 50% less in Montana, the murder rate is double in New York, but the "crime index" is greater in Montana?

post script: Wow - first post that I needed to have cleared by the moderators. My apologies for going so far off the OP's topic that it needed such approval.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: