Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2012, 17:48   #31

Re: a view on international travel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
You can order it but it will not be delivered to you. You must pick it up at a licensed dealer, fill out the paperwork with proper ID and fingerprint etc. Plus a nice fee for the gvt.

And "Assault Rifle" is a misnomer. Widely used. Widely undefined. My plain old .22 you would not think of one but if I put a "military looking" stock and bi-pod on it you would call it an assault rifle. Same gun different "beholders" eye.

And any hunting (or not - NATO round is popular) long gun with a scope is a sniper rifle if used to snipe.
An Assault Rifle might be difficult to define, but I know one when I see one!

Old 09-01-2012, 17:55   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: A View On International Travel.

Always made me smile that Thailand is regarded by many as a very "safe" country - murder rate 50% higher than the USA .

But as said, same for most countries - the chances of being deaded depends where you go, what you do and who you interact with (plusses and minuses to that latter one)........blind luck also helps and also being in areas where you are protected by family or a public private business partnership.......which in Thailand also helps explain the high rate.

Old 09-01-2012, 17:57   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
An Assault Rifle might be difficult to define, but I know one when I see one!

My example was to expain that I disagree with you. There is no definition and I don't think from 15 yards you know one gun from another.

This is all my opinion of course as I have no idea what type of exposure to firearms you have had.

Those with training and knowledge do not use the term as they know it means nothing. It is a term used by the media and multitudes of others.
Old 09-01-2012, 18:35   #34

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
The current US govt. advice for US citizens is to avoid travel to the UK. Yes, the UK : the country where you have 10% of the chance of being shot, compared to the US. Why? Chance of terrorism. When did we become so risk averse?
I see a U.S. State Department Travel Warning for Mexico, but not for UK. I was not able to find any U.S. Government advice against travel to UK.

The woarning for Mexico states:
Quote:
[...]Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems and can occur anywhere. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well. It is imperative that you understand the risks involved in travel to Mexico and how best to avoid dangerous situations. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where criminal activity might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable. [...]
Seems to me like sensible advice.
Old 09-01-2012, 19:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
My example was to expain that I disagree with you. There is no definition and I don't think from 15 yards you know one gun from another.

This is all my opinion of course as I have no idea what type of exposure to firearms you have had.

Those with training and knowledge do not use the term as they know it means nothing. It is a term used by the media and multitudes of others.
According to the Wikipedia entry,

"An assault rifle is a selective fire (selectable between semi-auto and fully automatic) rifle (capable of being fired from the shoulder) that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1][2][3][4] Assault rifles are the standard infantry weapons in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge"

They seem to have defined the undefinable!
Old 09-01-2012, 19:47   #36

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
HUSH!!

You're giving away one of my favorite secret spots.

Let's talk more about gun violence.
Don't forget knifed or beaten to death. A Canadian women was recently found at a resort bound and stabbed in the throat. It took her ex boyfriend to come down from Canada to find her body as the locals were of no help. Not only did he find her, but two other unidentified victims. I may be jumping to conclusions but in Mexico at least it seems you can expect no protection from the police or help from their government as it appears to be more important to protect the "cash Cow" resorts reputation than to fulfill their oath to "serve and protect"
Old 09-01-2012, 19:48   #37
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Hi,

Just was reading the paper and saw this in a column... Thought it was a well expressed viewpoint that is valid in many places that cruisers travel.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Hi Sarah,
Generally speaking, I think there is a subliminal reason why the embossed dots of fear in travelling overseas are now causing more people to stay at home.

The countries of the world are becoming less trustful of each other as the mantra of isolationism becomes popular in hard economic times.
Would you rather be attacked and injured at home, where you know the support infrastructure, or elsewhere where you can be seen as an intruder and parasite to social services?

Fear mongering has become a useful tool with Governments and a self-fulfilling prophesy, unless we get out there to become friendly strangers in a strange land.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:00   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:

"An assault rifle is a selective fire (selectable between semi-auto and fully automatic) rifle (capable of being fired from the shoulder) that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1][2][3][4] Assault rifles are the standard infantry weapons in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge"

So they are trying to get it defined now since so many are using the term and think they know what it is. Good to see as it is a new word.

FYI These can bought by US citizens also. No mail order and lots of paper work, background check, and of course lots more money. Each individual "assault weapon" is tagged to a specific person. Can be checked on anytime if I recall.

Far cry from your original "mail order" statement.

But I am done here and this thread will be closed soon anyway.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:03   #39

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Sarah,

Fear mongering has become a useful tool with Governments and a self-fulfilling prophesy, unless we get out there to become friendly strangers in a strange land.
Sure don't want to be seen as the ugly American in today's climate. That is why I mentioned that "secret" spot in Baja the other cruiser that goes there wants me to "hush", so I will on the spot, but will mention our interaction with the locals. We as cruisers in this area have hosted fund raisers for the town's water pump and valve replacement, fly in refrigerated medical vaccines, play football (soccer) on the local team, well to make a long story short, we respect and enjoy the locals in a small, isolated town, and they in turn give us a warm reception.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 20:08   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah Mexico is crazy dangerous, whatever you do don't go. In fact sell your boats and take up golf.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:09   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And by the way: awesome that by page three the wikipedia article to describe an assault rifle showed up. How in the hell did you guys get into a gun argument?
Old 09-01-2012, 20:18   #42

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:

It is illegal for a civilian to posses or buy an assault rifle in Michigan and most of the US. You must be law enforcement or have some official status to posses an automatic weapon. This law has been in effect since the 30's I suspect.

As it was pointed out earlier there is much confusion associated with the term assault weapon. The press and anti-gun lobby like to keep the water muddied for its emotional impact on the ignorant masses.

To be clear, what is generally called an assault rifle by civilians is a semi-automatic rifle that may resemble or look exactly like a military weapon.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:25   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
As it was pointed out earlier there is much confusion associated with the term assault weapon. The press and anti-gun lobby like to keep the water muddied for its emotional impact on the ignorant masses.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:35   #44

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Sure don't want to be seen as the ugly American in today's climate. That is why I mentioned that "secret" spot in Baja the other cruiser that goes there wants me to "hush", so I will on the spot, but will mention our interaction with the locals. We as cruisers in this area have hosted fund raisers for the town's water pump and valve replacement, fly in refrigerated medical vaccines, play football (soccer) on the local team, well to make a long story short, we respect and enjoy the locals in a small, isolated town, and they in turn give us a warm reception.
There are as many ugly Americans as ugly British, ugly French, ugly Australians....etc....etc
Do carry on your travels, but remember to tell the folk back home what you see. The more of us out there breaking down these false barriers and misconceptions, the less power governments have to scare us with the foreign bogyman. Our governments thrive on our paranoia and every trip abroad we make chips away at their control.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:50   #45

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

As with many people on here, I've had the pleasure to visit many countries and have never had a problem and with the exception of Israel, never felt uncomfortable.

Why Israel? Seemed like everyone but me had a gun! I did ask about crime and was told it is negligible.

To answer Sara's original question, the article was well written and sensible.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: