Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 13:53   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
A juant through the Carribean

I'm planning on an early spring departure, in between cold fronts, (after they become less severe).

From: Palm beach to Freeport,Bahamas - to Nassua hopping through a couple of the outer islands. (what is a good checkout port?)

TO: Turks & Caicos - Dominican Republic, (it's kinda in the way, I'm going to assume check in puerto plata, check out punta cana)
TO: Puerto Rico, also in the way TO: St Croix

Then: ??? Anguilla looks a little out of the way, St Kitts?, Montserrat?

Antigua & Barbuda look a little out of the way, any reason to go there?

Basse-Terre - Dominica - Martinique - St Lucia - St Vincent - Granada - Tobago

It looks like a minimum transit time of 60 days, (perfect weather, no stops).

A more realistic transit time means, it looks like I'll barely make Tobago before Hurricane season.

Wait out the storms, below normal tracks, then beeline back to Florida before the next season.

I welcome any critiques pointers, etc...
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:28   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen
Re: A juant through the Carribean

I would suggest that you just buy Bruce Van Sant's book and follow his advice for going south (The Gentleman's Guide for Passages South).

Anguilla is right on the course when you leave the BVI's for St. Martin/Sint Maarten so it is not out of the way.

Antigua and Barbuda are fantastic places to visit but if your time is limited you can skip them because they are more difficult to get to anyway (further east).

Your transit time will probably take a lot longer than 60 days unless you just skip a lot of the islands along the way.

Best of luck with your plans!
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 12:34   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I was going to go straight to st kitts, but I guess it will only add a couple of days to visit st marten, and anguilla. Anything special to see there?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:06   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

St. Maarten/St. Martin has one of the 4 non-rolly anchorages that can be found in the Eastern Caribbean. Besides it is a duty free port, 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 French and the marine services are among the best in the Caribbean.

Anguilla is good if you just want to visit and see a nice island. But don't expect many services- just nice beaches, friendly people and an x-British colony. The anchorage tends to be rolly.

Cruisers tend to look for certain things when cruising in the Eastern Caribbean: Non-rolly anchorages, good provisioning, excellent repair services, WIFI and friendly places to visit.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:36   #5

St Martin and Antigua are great places. I like the french culture in St Martin. A lot of fun... but then I like espresso and french pastries in the am and Cheese, Pate' and a fresh baguette later...! I really depends on what you like... for snorkeling etc I would stay longer in the Bahamas.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 05:23   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Capn_billl.

Invest in three cruising guides---Nancy Scott's for the Virgin Islands, and two by Chris Doyle for the Leeward Islands and the Windward Islands. They cover most of the things you need to know, and the sketch charts and sailing instructions are good enough that you could get by without chartplotter or paper charts if you wanted to.
Old 17-12-2011, 16:22   #7

Boat: Shearwater 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
Capn_billl.

Invest in three cruising guides---Nancy Scott's for the Virgin Islands, and two by Chris Doyle for the Leeward Islands and the Windward Islands. They cover most of the things you need to know, and the sketch charts and sailing instructions are good enough that you could get by without chartplotter or paper charts if you wanted to.
You mention a passage time of 60 days given perfect weather! I think you should accept that if you're going to do the "thorny path" and have fun doing it, it is going to take longer. It's against the weather and this time of year you may have to wait for long periods to be able to make Easting.
M Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 16:53   #8

I think a jaunt through the Caribe is a fabulous adventure... Having spent several sears cruising the entire windward island... not all of them.. I can tell you that each and every one is worth spending time... There are some amazing things to see on shore... up in the rain forests... and incredible anchorages and people... including yachtsmen...

All of the information you need is available in cruising guides... but heck you can google each island and learn lots. Asking here is a hardly going to get you the information you need to make informed decisions.

I would definitely consider:

Antiqua
Barbuda
Monserrat (may still have volcano issues)
Guadaloupe include Les Saintes
Dominica
St Lucia
St Kitts
St Vincent
Nevis
St Barths
St Martin
Martinique
Grenidines
Grenada
Saba
Trinidad...

and on and on they're all wonderful
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 16:58   #9

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

Friends tell Montserrat still has volcano issues and to be careful when transitting the area. Sounds like an interesting trip, but very well may take longer than you have allowed.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 17:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
I think a jaunt through the Caribe is a fabulous adventure... Having spent several sears cruising the entire windward island... not all of them.. I can tell you that each and every one is worth spending time... There are some amazing things to see on shore... up in the rain forests... and incredible anchorages and people... including yachtsmen...

All of the information you need is available in cruising guides... but heck you can google each island and learn lots. Asking here is a hardly going to get you the information you need to make informed decisions.

I would definitely consider:

Antiqua
Barbuda
Monserrat (may still have volcano issues)
Guadaloupe include Les Saintes
Dominica
St Lucia
St Kitts
St Vincent
Nevis
St Barths
St Martin
Martinique
Grenidines
Grenada
Saba
Trinidad...

and on and on they're all wonderful
I've done all of those Islands and yes - of course it's great; "It's the Caribbean mon"! All I'm saying is your estimated time allotment is way way off. For doing all the islands you mention (unless you want to rush through) you need more than one full cruising season- especially since you've got to get there (eastern Caribbean) first! Better to limit your ambitions a bit and enjoy yourself.
Old 17-12-2011, 17:27   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Murphy

I've done all of those Islands and yes - of course it's great; "It's the Caribbean mon"! All I'm saying is your estimated time allotment is way way off. For doing all the islands you mention (unless you want to rush through) you need more than one full cruising season- especially since you've got to get there (eastern Caribbean) first! Better to limit your ambitions a bit and enjoy yourself.
We heading for the Caribbean now ... Doing north Brazil and angling for Grenada ... Can you advise on safety in the islands ... Any tips?

Another question .... At the end of season, where can one cruise during hurricane season until the next season begins?

We really don't want to hang around in marinas and want to keep seeing new places....
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 17:54   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm planning on an early spring departure, in between cold fronts, (after they become less severe). . . .
TO: Turks & Caicos - Dominican Republic, (it's kinda in the way, I'm going to assume check in puerto plata, check out punta cana)
. . .
Be advised that you cannot take a private recreational vessel into Puerto Plata harbor, Dominican Republic. BUT you can stop at OCEAN World Resort/Marina just a mile or so west and outside of Puerto Plata. See: http://www.oceanworldmarina.com/
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:59   #13

We spent one season sailing from Fl to Grenada, used the boat for three years in the Eastern Caribbean during vacations and then spent Nov 2010 to June 2011 sailing to Panama, through the canal and to Pacific Costa Rica.
During all of this we did not have even ONE incident. We "heard" of some, but nothing personal. We loved every place we visited, including the Venezuelan out-islands, Colombia, etc. Every place has something different so I agree with reading the guides. Looking for peace and quiet? Well, don't go to Aruba! However, we were there during carnival and that was a big party. Love scuba or windsurfing? - don't miss Bonaire.....and so on.
Stay away from Los Testigos, Margarita and the Venezuelan mainland - then just be as vigilant as you would be anywhere else and you should be ok. Yes you could simply be unlucky, but most likely nothing will happen- just like in any big city, unless you look for trouble.
We found officialdom universally friendly, If you allow them... Don't be the big shot- you are visiting their country and even if you think it is a banana rep.- it is theirs, they feel important (and are) and will often make sure you are aware of that.
The only place we found the officials obstructive and inflexible, was Curacau. We had some surprisingly positive experiences with officials- for example the army and coastguard in Blanquilla (Ven). They boarded, spent almost 45 min going through every locker, cabinet, even the bilge. They asked to see our PAPER charts, checked if they were up to date, checked PFDs, fire extinguishers, CO alarms etc.etc.Throughout however, they were extremely professional, polite, and left us with a very positive feeling regarding the Venezuelan forces, our welcome in their country and our security, which might be a surprise to some.

As for hurricane season and where to cruise- it depends if you want to be back in the Eastern Carib the next season. If so, stay at Grenada, Trini(we never went there), or even West as far as BonAire and Curaçao (these have lots to offer). Next season go North to the Virgins and start the loop again