Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: 3 ARC boats divert to Cape Verde with damage/injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Many people spend much more money than you and I. Not only in cruisng but in general life.

A flat mate of mine (female) would only drink red wine if it was more than $40 per bottle... And she was near alcoholic... Another friend, also female, would only drink Dom at $90, in restaurants, per bottle.

To them $2,000 for 4 free booze parties is nothing.

Friday lunches even when the company isn't paying, can wipe out a months cruisng kitty for you or I. To them 4 lunches = 4 parties.

But if I had the money, sure it would be some fun things like that where the money would go
Ah yes. As often happens, it comes down to filthy lucre. Sure if I had an extra $2000 gathering dust in my bank I would drop it on the ARC and join in the festivities.

But if I had enough money to do that I would also have a newer boat and a much shorter to-do list (or I would be paying a boat yard to do the to-do list for me).

By the way, where can you get a bottle of Dom in a restaurant for $90 (is that US $90)? I bought a bottle for a present (someone did me a huge favor and would accept no compensation so that was my solution) at a discount store in the states and paid $115 pus tax. Order one with dinner bet it would be double that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not clear what you get for 2 thousand bucks. If its full survey and weather routing its not a bad deal for the fun. If its a list of stuff you need to have and weather routing plus a dinghy race probably could do better with your dollars. 200 boats and 2000 dollars is 400000 dollars. Any one want to race there dinghy and have me provide weather routing for 30 days I will do a 1 hour walk through of your boat and provide a detailed cursory evaluation. Cost 1800 dollars.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:28   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440

Not your worry then BUT a lot of people evaluate the benefits and join up, CF members on this years ARC have done very well, maybe you do your sailing alone and privately well good for you!
Cheers
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44   #19

One interesting thing pops up when you hear about these: Spade Rudders. We often have discussions on whether you should sail around the world in a Catalina or a Beneteau etc. on this forum. The amount of rudder damage reports on these long distance races should tell us the answer. NO!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:45   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
A million flowers to the Harbour Master a very real human, god bless her :flow ers:
Quote:
Agree totally David, all to often someone does a fantastic deed only to be rewarded with a loss, this Harbourmaster's name should be spread far and wide as a humane being, how many others would have acted that way, harbourmaster or not.
Cheers to her!!!!
The only details the skipper reported about the good samaritan:
"Johanna, the thirty year old female German port boss in Mindelo on the island of Sao Vicente"

Adding my thanks as well

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46   #21

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47   #22

Cheechako.
It has to be a design weakness or a collision to fail otherwise no problems, vulnerable yes BUT there are other ways of steering for f'sake!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54   #23

Quote:
Cheechako.
It has to be a design weakness or a collision to fail otherwise no problems, vulnerable yes BUT there are other ways of steering for f'sake!
To some extent I agree with you, but I have seen bent shafts etc. Anything that fails could be considered a design weakness I suppose, but then not mounting the rudder on a skeg is a design weakness to some! I would imagine slamming to one side or another is a concern. I like light boats, but not sure I would be real comfortable doing RTW with a spade rudder....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
Not your worry then BUT a lot of people evaluate the benefits and join up, CF members on this years ARC have done very well, maybe you do your sailing alone and privately well good for you!
Cheers
No worry. so what is the benefit for the dollar. Can you get the same value for a better dollar.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
No worry. so what is the benefit for the dollar. Can you get the same value for a better dollar.
Yes absolutely BUT in life we do things that may seen irrational to others because i guess we don't answer to others nor should we.
People enter ARC for some of the following:-
Security.
Companionship.
Fellowship.
Tribal feelings.
Security.
Fun.
Guidance.
Competition.
Organisation.

At least they are out there having a go, for us we are heading that way on our way home and will enjoy components of the above BUT as i said prior we are responsible for ourselves.

Some friendships made on ARC and similar are made for life, invaluable. If money mattered to me to the amount of 2,000:00 i would not be sailing as any improvement on a boat is usually measured in thousands. As Bob Ebaugh rightly say's "a boat unit"!.......
Old 08-12-2012, 10:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
To some extent I agree with you, but I have seen bent shafts etc. Anything that fails could be considered a design weakness I suppose, but then not mounting the rudder on a skeg is a design weakness to some! I would imagine slamming to one side or another is a concern. I like light boats, but not sure I would be real comfortable doing RTW with a spade rudder....
Design, where does it stop and where does it begin? Every man made thing will break, nature is the great equaliser.

A skeg or end of keel mounted rudder is only as strong as the bottom bearing attachment and shaft structure whilst a spade is only as strong as the structure of the spade, hull bearing and shaft.

Weight of the boat equates to the Kinetic Energy involved in destroying any such weakness.

The Vendee boats for example are Skiffs, flat bottomed, spade ruddered, planing hulls, sailing on the edge with enormous back up and state of the art support. That's not cruising BUT it is evolution.

A fast boat gets out of weather quicker but is susceptible to damage..

We have had all configurations of boats in our life and i have built all configurations. We have retired and are quite happy with our choice, i could not be bothered building an interpretation of my 'BEST' boat as i'm too busy enjoying end of days.

People sit and criticise but they need to walk the walk. Viv la difference is the go.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31   #27

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: 3 ARC boats divert to Cape Verde with damage/injuries

Quote:
The Vendee boats for example are Skiffs, flat bottomed, spade ruddered, planing hulls, sailing on the edge with enormous back up and state of the art support. That's not cruising BUT it is evolution.

It sure looks like a wild ride. If I could afford one I'd name it :

FILTHY LUCRE
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:38   #28

So still what exactly do you get for your dollar. Not trying to pick a fight but looking for a contract that explains what it is purchased. So far I get a dinghy race weather routing maybe you also get companionship [ think that's illegal in most places], something Tribal, uhh sense if security [ can't be measured}.somewhere 400 thousand is spent. Please explain.
Old 08-12-2012, 13:02   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Fun.

It is fun.

It is great fun.

It is terrifically great fun.

Old stories. No dinghy race anymore in the ARC programme!

Fun? Maybe, but when I looked at their flags parade I somehow got the impression of very sad, very tired people marching. Local band was the only funny part, I think.

b.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 13:08   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

And to all those who are innocently mistaken: NO, the ARC never claimed they would support whoever gets into trouble out there. The company (if it is a company) takes care mostly of the socializing & entertainment part in LP and then in SL. They chuck in some emergency training, some help with rig check, some wx support, yellowbrick tracking, etc..

It is a rally, not a race.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Cape Verde