I am sitting here trying to come to grips with this. It is a very sad day.
Someone in our community has been threatened and people have been hurt.
I am not just talking about the Captain
and Crew of Rule62 but the organizers of the 1500, the family
and friends of Laura.
I cant imagine what Richard Ross is going through right now, His wife, or the other crew, Steve Black, or anybody involved in this venture.
Is it correct to say that they should have gone another way, that maybe boats should or shouldn't have gone, or why are some boats out there now, that is all we can do now.... speculate.
We are thinking of going on the Caribbean 1500
next year, we participated in the Atlantic cup as crew for friends last year, and went to the offshore course in Norfolk this fall. I remember it was said time and time again, prepare, prepare, prepare, make your boat comfortable and go.
I see the departure was delayed for a week already, 70 boats on the line, 30knot winds 30 foot seas for days, but 70 boats were going so why cant we? That decision must have been difficult. Can you imaging 70 boats willing to go but you think it might be too rough for you? Safety
in numbers....... but look at the consequences. Should we go in our Bendy toy? in the right weather
To sit back and speculate is easy, but those moments in shear terror and then grief, it would have been a completely different outcome if they had made it......we wouldn't be speculating right now.
Look at the Catalina 34, or the caliber 33 or some of the 36's they are all still maintaining way on the finish, but now since this will it be any easier for us to next year?
All I can say is that decision is going to be difficult. We have to remember the reasons we do this and the factors involved.
And ultimately pray for those involved in this unfortunate accident