Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2008, 08:10   #1

Boat: Privilege 39
2008 Strictly Sail Pacific

We're heading over to the show tomorrow. What are the highlights this year? Anything you consider a "must see" or a "don't bother"?
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 20:50   #2

Boat: Privilege 39
OK, since apparently I'm the only one who's been to the boat show here's my report and show highlites:

We had a delightful and lengthy conversation with Charles and Corinne Kanter on our way out. They are really wonderful and neat people.

Boats were pretty much the same as always. They actually got the Lagoon 420 Hybrid there this year, even. We had a good time checking out all the various high-end, well appointed boats.

The booths seemed to be less this year, but maybe that's just because things were more spread out than last year, with two tents and then lots of separate booths outside the tents? I could be mistaken. Got some good info from various vendors and contacts at companies of equipment we own.

Make sure you stop and buy some raffle tickets from Lin and Larry Pardey's booth to benefit Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors. This is a really great cause! We've been talking about going and donating some time when we can to help out for a day, if anyone else from this forum in the area is willing, let's try to organize something to help out. This is an incredible organization doing great things for people who otherwise could probably not sail. More info BAY AREA ASSOCIATION OF DISABLED SAILORS

A minor lowlight: The Strictly Sail website says you can park in the nearby garage all day for $7.50. However, this is incorrect, and they will not/cannot validate parking. They said the city reneged on the deal. We ended up grabbing a bite at one of the local eateries that validated and only spend a couple bucks more than that for 4 hours, but just so you know...

Another lighlight: The whole boat show "price is only good today, if you call us tomorrow it will cost you twice as much" line. This gets old and tiresome when booth after booth says the same thing. If you really want me to buy your product...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 22:11   #3

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Lee Chesneau's one hour weather seminar was superb.

Sal at Sal's Inflatables gives great advice on liferafts --- not recommending specific ones, but really telling you what his experience shows are the considerations to give weight to, and the ones you might not want to let rule your choice as much. We also saw the rear pushpit rail mod on the smaller Hylas sailboat on the center dock that is a slick mod to mount a big liferaft on that doesn't take up any deckspace and looks pretty secure.

Quantum sails has wine and cheese at 4p. Time your visit then.

John of "Sailing Grace" is a joy to talk to at the author's table, and his presentations are certainly humble and uplifting.

We ended up finding better parking way at the north end of the show at the lot that I think is used for exhibitors.....in fact, on street parking way down there was free as well.

Overall, seemed smaller and more subdued than last time I went ('97) but maybe that's b/c I missed the weekend.