Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: 1000 DAYS AT SEA - How long do you think they will be able to stay at sea
0 to 6 months 40 40.40%
6 to 12 months 24 24.24%
12 to 18 months 5 5.05%
18 to 24 months 10 10.10%
24 to 30 months 2 2.02%
30 to 36 months 1 1.01%
THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE IT! 17 17.17%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-09-2007, 04:03   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Those interested in (or with current information about) Poste Restante (Fr), Posta Restante (Sp), or General Delivery (USA) mail holding might goto:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mail-2237.html

The topic about Duty-Free Shipping & Poste Restante Snail Mail never really got off the ground.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 08:15   #62

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Mystic, they said they were going to sea for a 1000 days, not joining a monastery. If you check their site and look at all the photos of friends, etc; I can see why they communicate a lot. The one set of parents I saw looked like they were starting to get long in the tooth and I couldn't help wonder what they would do if one of them past away.

Even if they were to quit now, they have accomplished more than most boaters in the world. Most of us think a month is a long voyage and they've been out for a while now. And when I saw his pics of his boat in Antarctica I realized this guy has some serious sailing under his belt to have gone to those extreme lattitudes which aren't easy lattitudes to sail, again read "Godforesaken Sea" by Derek Lund.
Thats true... I can understand wanting to communicate with friends and family along the way. I choose to do that when I backpack, even though I can choose to not if I want... my mum freaks out though when I don't.

Old 01-10-2007, 19:49   #63

New 1000 days of hell blog

An alternative blog to the 1000 days journey blog by Reedhovian Jessie has been started at 1000daysofhell.blogspot.com and it is nearly the funniest thing I have seen on the internet. It is kind of sad because though it contains a fair amount of parody, it is founded upon truth.
Old 01-10-2007, 23:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailflat View Post
An alternative blog to the 1000 days journey blog by Reedhovian Jessie has been started at 1000daysofhell.blogspot.com and it is nearly the funniest thing I have seen on the internet. It is kind of sad because though it contains a fair amount of parody, it is founded upon truth.
Oh... And I probably should have mentioned the rescue Mission.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:27   #65

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
That is pretty funny, though they are going to have a hard time topping today's real posting for humor. I mean, going on an on about how great a knife is, and how you have waited 10 years to use it, and then... I don't want to spoil the punchline.
Old 02-10-2007, 14:16   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WOW: 1000 Days of Hell
This site contains information about reid stowe and his 1000 days at sea journey. All of the posts found here fall into one of three categories:
- "the man" Factual posts about Reid, "the man" .
- "seamanship" Commentary on Reid's skills as a sailor, generally factual.
- Parody: Posts biased more or less loosely upon material found on his own web site.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 22:49   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailflat View Post
And now you know the rest of the story - or at least an alternate viewpoint.

Wow - Reading that and then following links into sailinganarchy was an interesting adventure last night.

This is one seriously weird dude. I always had the impression that this was some sort of well founded, well organized semi-commercial venture.

It looks more like a loony, pestering people for 10 years until he gets evicted from his dock so he goes.

I mean some of it is ok but things like

- Not getting the bottom paint done or sealed
- not really having a proper liferaft and storing your inflatable somewhere in the bilge under piles of crap.
- throwing away food that's gone bad - primarily bad from being stored wrong for up to 10 years
- not even know what some of your provisions are because they were on board so long
- having hundreds of pounds of seeds on board that won't sprout?

And finally - he is now asking for maintenance advice and advice on his seeds from the outside world - isn't getting help a bit of a cheat?

They may as well air drop groceries on them.

Now having said all that in full cynic mode - they are out there (allegedly - LOL) doing it, so hat's off to them.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:35   #68

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Okay it was funny, now the parody seems to be the usual internet nastiness and name calling on every side. Seems like a lot of people should maybe sail more and type less, until they can not jump into mean spiritedness, quite so fast. Reid and Soanya are out there (albeit meandering) on their dream. Most everyone who steps out of the rank and file either gets yelled at or laughed at or both. I wish them the best, as I do everyone out on the water, and will continue to smile at their unique prose and perspective. Let's hope that Reid turns out to be more Bernard Motessier and less Donald Crowhurst.
Old 23-10-2007, 05:34   #69

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Let's hope that Reid turns out to be more Bernard Motessier and less Donald Crowhurst.
That was funny as well as mean spirited.
Old 23-10-2007, 11:31   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Another case of self-inflicted misery in order to get media attention. The best thing would be for the media to completely ignore this.

If he was really serious he could have anchored himself out in some busy harbor on a small barge inside of a steel cage with metal bars...like some circus animal on display. The zookeepers boat could come by every day and throw him raw meat and bottled water. It could become a real spectacle for everyone, especially for the media.
Old 24-10-2007, 16:03   #71

Boat: NONE yet
You know all the crazy ideas that people have this might be one of the best. I mean getting out on the water for 100 days alone would be better than rotting at work and home to me. I wish them the best of luck, not something I personally would do, I would rather have a destination in mind, regardless of how long it takes to get there.

I would probably get pretty sick of salted fish but hey there are worse places to spend 1000 days than on a boat in the ocean with your wife.
Old 22-02-2008, 22:22   #72
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word that poor Reid Stowe is now a single-handed sailor:

"Soanya Ahmad Jumps Ship

"February 22, 2008 Near (but not in sight of) Australia

"When Reid Stowe and Soanya Ahmad left Hoboken, New Jersey, on April 21, 2007, their plan was to sail Stowe's 70-ft schooner Anne out of sight of land for 1,000 days non-stop. Stowe, 56, had been dreaming of the voyage for many years and dubbed it the Mars Ocean Odyssey, referring to the time it would take for a round trip to the Red Planet.

"During the planning, preparation and fundraising stage of Stowe's 'Odyssey', the then-19-year-old Ahmad was introduced to the skipper. A romance blossomed and she was soon invited to become crew for the trip. As of their departure date, Ahmad had never sailed more than a few daysails on the Hudson River. . . . "

Soanya Ahmad, 25, who's lost an alarming amount of weight since the beginning of the trip, waves goodbye as she prepares to leave Anne.
Photo Courtesy Anne
2008 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc.

For the rest of the story, go to: Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

By the way, pretty good self-portrait there, Reid.

TaoJones
Old 23-02-2008, 12:22   #73
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I only recently became aware of this couple. I think in the past couple of months. When ever I would check in on their site. Her reply was always the same.....I am not feeling well, and it is another day. It sounded like it took her sometime to make the decision. I could not imagine being seasick for months.
Old 23-02-2008, 12:43   #74

I believe they will make it 18 to 24 months. I'm sure either their psychologies will break, or the boat will break, sooner or later.

*Edit: Oops, looks like the girl gave up after months of sea sickness. Now it's just him. I'm sure he will crap out within 6 months. I can't imagine a man being alone on a vessel out of sight of land for that long without going insane. But still, I wish him well. Tests such as these will be important when future explorers are going on decades-long trips out into the universe.
Old 23-02-2008, 12:48   #75
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
liberty,

It looks like seasickness has already claimed her.

Tags
poll

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: