Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: 1000 DAYS AT SEA - How long do you think they will be able to stay at sea
0 to 6 months 40 40.40%
6 to 12 months 24 24.24%
12 to 18 months 5 5.05%
18 to 24 months 10 10.10%
24 to 30 months 2 2.02%
30 to 36 months 1 1.01%
THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE IT! 17 17.17%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 21:06   #31

I have voted for 18 to 24 months beacause of the simple reason that "To many enthusiasts, Sailing goes beyond being a form of recreation. It is not just an Outdoor Activity or form of leisure. It is a way of life. To some people, it has become a life-long addiction. Sailing is so exciting and enjoyable that once you have tried it, you will want to try it again. Many people have been enjoying it since they were children and they are into Sailing until now. - It is a way of life!", taken from Why Go Sailing

Cheers!
evaldez
evaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 17:23   #32
learningcurve

This guy is a nut case. The girl is a complete novice. That boat looks really scary (judging from the pictures on the website). The guy is taking handouts so he can pull this stupid stunt. I don't care how much experience he has. My guess he was just lucky in his past voyages. I predict the girl will turn psycho like the Billy Zane character in "Dead Calm".

I suspect he finally left because the NY Port Authority was getting ready to force him out as he has been squatting on waterfront.
Old 13-06-2007, 03:42   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 8 boats, to many to name
I think this guy is a few cards short of a full deck.
edboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 09:33   #34
jzk

He has already collided with a frieghter. Who would want to spend 1000 days at sea?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36   #35

I voted for 12-18 months,made a crack at being at sea with a very nice looking female,but,after reading the replies I think most of the members hanging crapp on these two people are the wankers.
When people say"It's been 5,7,9yrs but we are finaly cutting the lines,It's time,we are going!"Everybody says,"Great to hear" "Go for it,youv'e earned it"Or "Lucky bugger,wish it was us,2yrs to go ,hopefully."I never see crapp being voiced towards them in such a manor.I really wonder why that is.Some people to me seem to be so set in their own insecurities as to think that something like this is so ludicris,unacheivable,or even not practicable.
It's akin to the Bummfuzzle thread all over again,remember them,They did what they set out to acheive,against all the knowledge that was bestowed on this forum.I bet if he makes it ,the "Knowledgeable people"will undoubtably will put it down to luck.Just like they did with Pat and Alli.These are the same people I would like to see one day saying"It's time,we are cutting the lines were out of here"But sadly there will only be praise for them.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:46   #36

There's a difference between going cruising to far off places, and sailing around in circles for 3 years just for it's own sake though.......
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:42   #37
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
I voted for 12-18 months,made a crack at being at sea with a very nice looking female,but,after reading the replies I think most of the members hanging crapp on these two people are the wankers.
No doubt mariners in the "olde days" sailed the high seas on long voyages in less seaworthy vessels (by today's standards)... and "succeeded". So, in that regard, he has history on his side.

But, when you consider...

- first mate is a total novice (a "professional" photographer at 23? when did her career begin? when she was 10?)
- captain has offshore experience sailing in the shape of turtles, or hearts, or...

Would mariners of olde take off on a 1000 day voyage with no landfall with that sort of experience?

But the kicker is "He fricking COLLIDED with a huge freighter (so he claims) within a couple weeks of departure because no one was keeping (proper) watch!" Now what kind of "seamanship" is that? Even the "knowledgeable armchair sailors" know the importance of keeping watch.

He doesnt have/cant afford radar (nobody "stepped up" to donate one, geesh, his words, not mine). He has no/cant afford a liferaft (oh, but he has an inflatable dinghy!). He was given bottom paint (expensive stuff I might add) but did not apply it cause he couldnt afford the haulout (??). I doubt he has an EPIRB. Most, if not all, electronics he does have was "donated". Reading the history of the boat, built by he and his brothers in the 80s, it looks like the boat is the only thing he has got. Clearly this guy has no money and no means of making an income except asking for donations.

Maybe sailing for 1000 days in shapes of turtles and taking peoples money is all he can do.

If he sticks to the mid lattitudes, they will probably be ok.

It will be interesting to see how things go if/when his "mission control" volunteers loose interest.

I can think of better ways to spend 3 years of my life.

$.02
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00   #38

I Lost

It only took 35 posts for the first Bumfizzle reference to appear. That means I lost my own private poll (I had put my money on 24).

The schooner ain't much to look at, but it doesn't seem to be in derelict condition. The skipper's passive attitude may, however, result in less-than-proactive activity (to note: the nudging of the freighter. Thankfully, the angle was acute enough for a glancing blow, but if he'd been just a few seconds faster, he'd have been run down). If he were single-handed, this incident could conceiveabley be forgiven, but with a crew of two, and no one seasick or injured, what excuse is there? Let's hope he learned.

All the yoga and meditation in the world will not take the place of prudent seamanship. He can philosophize all he wants about astronauts and the nature of the Universe, but if he's down below typing it all up on the laptop when the next container ship ploughs by, we'll never get to read it.

God takes care of babies and fools. Maybe someone should give them Pat and Ali's e-mail address, so they can coach them along…
Old 07-07-2007, 02:57   #39

Ok,so he might not have a few funermental things needed for complete safety while at sea,granted,but I bet they have contraception of some sought.<GR>.

I even think myself that there is something a little weird about the bloke,but,not every sailor that sets out to sea is prepared to the same degree.Sailing around in circles,as I have read into it,is to stay out of site of land totaly.If it be by way of Turtle/heart shapes,then so be it,that is the plan.And I really agree that with two people aboard,the freighter thing should not have happened,hope it dosen't happen again because that would be a lesson not learned.

I'm still sticking to 18mths max as I couldn't see two people staying sane for much more than that given the circumstances,I hope they find whatever it is their trying to arrive at.Mudnut.
Old 07-07-2007, 20:15   #40

I would like to know why the word" sea" in my post is red,I never did it,wouldn't now how to do it?Mudnut.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:32   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Words, used as search terms, appear in red. If you go directly to your post, there are no red words.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:41   #42

Thanks for that Gord,I checked,your right.mmmm.Never knew thats how it worked.Mudnut.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:33   #43

Boat: Sabre 42
So... they are still going... and they aren't posting anything about having any issues. I voted that I think they'll make it, partially because I want them too, and partially because I am naive... and partially because most people think they won't.

I tend to agree with Mudnut in that all the people tossing bad vibes their way are wankers. Who cares if they wanted to sail in circles... who cares about climbing Mt. Everest, or going to the South Pole... its not my place to judge their goals for them. It sounds kinda cool actually... because of the challange of it all. Its not a physical challange, but a mental one, as most great challanges are.

It is easy for me to look at them and think they are fools for not having a radar onboard... thats something I think I would have. But, they are sailing, and having a great time, which might turn horribly bad... or might not... and I am typing these words from my cube, in a building shaped like a box, with tinted windows where I can see other box shaped buildings, and cloud covered sky, in the conditioned air, far from my boat... which in its own way is horribly bad to begin with.

No doubt they are crazy, and not completely prepared, and in-experienced... thats what makes it possible. If they waited till they had enough experience, enough funding, enough preperations... enough sanity... they wouldn't be doing it.

I once knew a girl who asked me why I wanted to go to Italy when I could just stay home, and rent a movie. Some people will just never get it.
Old 08-08-2007, 14:58   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo
I am typing these words from my cube, in a building shaped like a box, with tinted windows where I can see other box shaped buildings, and cloud covered sky, in the conditioned air, far from my boat... which in its own way is horribly bad to begin with.
It's probably tougher to do 1,000 in a cube farm. My heart bleeds for you.

I don't think they will make it because it is really tough to do. Just being locked up with someone for that amount of time on a boat is incredibly difficult. They handled their first adversities OK so that bodes well but 1,000 days is an incredibly long time. Sickness, injury, yada, yada...

Does it count if she leaves the boat and he finishes on his own?

I forget. Are they allowed to anchor or is it 1,000 days underway?

In any case the difficulties are huge and the odds are against them.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 19:57   #45

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Anyone know if they are still alive?

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll