Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 08:51   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Yearly CF Support

I would like to make the $15.01 yearly contribution to the CF site but not if it is automatically re-occuring from my debit account. Is there a way around this feature. I like to control my accounts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:58   #2

Re: Yearly CF support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I would like to make the $15.01 yearly contribution to the CF site but not if it is automatically re-occuring from my debit account. Is there a way around this feature. I like to control my accounts.
Boy oh Boy....... I hear ya on not doing auto payments!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 09:03   #3

Boat: Rhodes 32

Agree with this too - cannot stand auto debit.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 09:04   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
You will get a notice that your account upgrade status is expiring. There will be a link to click to unsubscribe. Support is voluntary and in either case we're glad to have members logging in and helping each other out.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 09:41   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

OK now I feel stewpid. I didn't know there was contribution fund. I guess it's past time I pony up. Let me know how. ...and for the other massive posters here, do I really have to point out the obvious?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 10:31   #6

Re: Yearly CF Support

Well...slice it any way you want. I never allow anyone access to my funds. There have been two attempts in the last few years by individuals with nasty motives. Luckily, my bank alerted me. It's my deal. I would love to contribute but there has to be another way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-10-2011, 21:44   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I'm not so concerned with auto payments, my bank always seems to catch anything untoward. However, I HATE Paypal and refuse to use them ever again. Anyone know of another way to make an upgrade payment? As far as I know Paypal is the only option. Would have upgraded years ago if I knew of another option....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Even if I fully respect the decision of the moderators, I'm quite disappointed that the other thread I've opened about the contribution to CF through paypal (which is a problem to a lot of person not wanting to use Paypal) has been close after only a few posts. Why on earth the discussion has been stopped: every body was polite and the discussion was going on smoothly. I should have title the thread : Anchoring with paypal, or even better: Paypal is buying Rocna so that we would have get hundreds of posts........
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The thread was closed because the question was answered and there are several discussions on this same topic. We have looked at some other options for supporting upgrades and given software limitations, available resources and various security concerns paypal is currently the best option for CruisersForum. We understand that some folks don't like paypal and appreciate what ever support folks are comfortable with (including just good posting).

Whatever your choice we're glad to have you as a member
Old 09-11-2011, 10:50   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Since that leaves those of us who won't use Paypal out in the cold, how about if we just snail mail you 15 bucks? No security risk there...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The thread was closed because the question was answered and there are several discussions on this same topic. We have looked at some other options for supporting upgrades and given software limitations, available resources and various security concerns paypal is currently the best option for CruisersForum. We understand that some folks don't like paypal and appreciate what ever support folks are comfortable with (including just good posting).

Whatever your choice we're glad to have you as a member
Thanks Janet for the answer
Any address where I can send my 15 USD AND ONE CENT to CF as a support?
I'll be glad to do it if possible

Alec
Old 09-11-2011, 11:00   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Since that leaves those of us who won't use Paypal out in the cold, how about if we just snail mail you 15 bucks? No security risk there...

Cruisers Forum is part of a small network of forums owned by one guy; we are a tiny, tiny organization. The Board owner (Andy R) travels extensively and processing checks is just not practical. They can languish, unattended for long periods, members accounts have to be manually upgraded leading to mistakes and it's just hard.

I understand your frustration but for now paypal is the best choice for us.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:30   #13

Quote:
You will get a notice that your account upgrade status is expiring. There will be a link to click to unsubscribe. Support is voluntary and in either case we're glad to have members logging in and helping each other out.
Well Janet, I understand the dilemma. I guess I will pony up and pay with Paypal my support for a great forum. Just one last point. Since a notice has to go out with a "unsubscribe" option, would it be any different from a Please "re-subscribe" option? These are automated notices anyways aren't they?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well Janet, I understand the dilemma. I guess I will pony up and pay with Paypal my support for a great forum. Just one last point. Since a notice has to go out with a "unsubscribe" option, would it be any different from a Please "re-subscribe" option? These are automated notices anyways aren't they?

The notice is automated as you have noted and I not sure what's involved in a change but can do some research on this.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... We understand ... and appreciate what ever support folks are comfortable with (including just good posting).
Whatever your choice we're glad to have you as a member.
IMHO: "Good posting", by thousands of members, is what has made the CruisersForum worth supporting, in whatever manner with which one is comfortable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote