Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 22:55   #16

Re: Why Only Paypal and Not Any Credit Card ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
For reasons political which I will not get into on this forum. Suffice it to say I believe they are an unethical predatory company, as well as politically involved. I tend to reward companies who have the interests of their clients at heart with my business as much as I can; I don't think Paypal is one of them.
+1 on all of the above. Looks like minaret is either also in computer industry or in banking...
Plus, PayPal is a hackers favorite.

I am one of those old-fashioned people who buys stuff mostly in person or using cc over internet. So far CF is one of three websites that asked for only PayPal payments in my internet wanderings. And, I choose not to use PayPal (moral and safety reasons aside, it takes too much time to set up just for one payment). So I just don't buy from these sites.
Old 09-11-2011, 00:37   #17

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

+1 for most of the negative comments above.
Paypal is NOT well liked in Australia where direct bank transfer is preferred but credit cards OK.
Paypal has given me no end of angst because I maintain bank account in Australia but live in Hong Kong (wow, how unusual in this day and age!!). Has cost me several hundred dollars in lost deposits and days of wasted time trying to get a response to well documented complaints to the company. Will never use the company again. Is a major PITA cos alot of Americans use it to the exclusion of other methods - like CF. Very parochial I think.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49   #18

Anyone who doesn't like PayPal please send me your bank details so I can transfer your donations through my Bank of Nigeria account for a small processing fee.

On a serious point I suspect Paypal is less accepted by older gen. I recently did about 30 eBay sales and 2 people wanted to direct deposit. They were both country based older gents. All auctions were PayPal only. But from my little sample seemed to be well accepted.
I thought you could do 1 off credit card payments where PayPal handle the card details. I prefer that to giving to websites of unknown security, no need for merchant to have my card details.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:08   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
For me it's one more damn account and one more username and password to remember
+1

A few years back I actually did have (still do?) a paypal account - but didn't find it that easy or quick (to use). Nowadays no idea what my password or login is. Won't be using it again.

Paypal's T & C's are not very freindly.

And reputationally wise I get the impression that folk will have no problem with Paypal, as long as you have no problem with Paypal Hell, I am presently having enough problems with my bank over a lost transfer (inter account ), and I can visit them in person - and if push comes to shove know by name who can get put in a box . (over here I probably won't - but it's always nice to be able to ).
Old 09-11-2011, 02:21   #20

Dear CF Mods,

If you already accept Paypal donations, and have a paypal account, it is relatively trivial to have Paypal also process credit card transactions directly.

For David, above, it would look like a standard CC transaction (Name, number, expiry date, and 3 digit number on the back), its just that for Cruisersforum it would be Paypal processing the card.

not too hard ... lots of websites do it (including my company's).
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by triakis View Post
I also will not use PayPal. Some years ago they facilitated a scammer obtaining $700 from me. Long story, but if anyone wants details I can provide.

I researched Paypal practices afterwards. They are a scary company. If you use Paypal I would recommend never giving them a credit card number. Use only a dedicated bank account, with a very small balance, and a strict no overdraft facility.

Paypal is fine if no problems occur. Otherwise you had better have been pro-active in protecting your $$$$s
I have used paypal a lot until I have been set up for thousands of USD for watches supposedly delivered to me in California from Taiwan (I live in Miami...) and never able to get my money back
And why should I go through an intermediary just to use my Credit Card..??
with a credit card merchant account I can use whatever card I want , directly, without intermediary, and not the one card entered in a paypal account...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:56   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It sounds like it comes down to the hassle and expense for a merchant to set up a credit card account versus the hassle for an individual to set up a Paypal account.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:04   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It sounds like it comes down to the hassle and expense for a merchant to set up a credit card account versus the hassle for an individual to set up a Paypal account.

Then unfortunately I'll keep my 15.01 USD until this is solved... and I think a lot of people are in the same case

(I really love that 1 cent!!)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13   #24

While I understand the too many passwords argument, I consider Paypal "safer" than having my personal information stored at CF or at an unknown credit card processing company (no offense guys).

Paypal is part of Ebay which is a large NASDAQ listed company with a lot to lose if they defraud people. While I don't consider any large corporation my buddy, they are at least as trustworthy as my bank or credit card companies (which is not saying much but is the only alternative).

Carl
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Then unfortunately I'll keep my 15.01 USD until this is solved... and I think a lot of people are in the same case

(I really love that 1 cent!!)
I wasn't siding with anyone, just stating what I think are the reasons.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:49   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

PayPal can be used as a simple credit card processor and there is no need to set up an account if this is your goal.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:51   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
And the modern approach to business is to dump the hassle and expense onto the customer.

Me is not playing
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I wasn't siding with anyone, just stating what I think are the reasons.
I know, and my comment was not against you
It was just giving my conclusion
Old 09-11-2011, 08:43   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
PayPal can be used as a simple credit card processor and there is no need to set up an account if this is your goal.
Normally yes.. but not here
And why shoud I use an intermediary between the supplier and my credit card? when none is necessary

Too many bad experiences with Paypal
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59   #30

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

I had a Paypal account but cancelled it because of all the spam that came saying there were problems with my Paypal account.
As soon a I cancelled the account the spam stopped.
Closed Thread