Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 12:26   #1

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52
VERY VERY ANNOYING REQUESTS TO REGISTER

I "joined" this forum some years back. Every day I get TWO emails, both the same, listing new threads. HOWEVER, if I click on any of the subjects, I get repeated and ENDLESS "invitations" to subscribe, which prevent me from reading the topic. For PETE'S SAKE I AM REGISTERED.
AND I HAVE THE APP - but if I use that, I have to do detective work to find the topic advertised in the email.
1. How do I make the system allow me to follow a link without being blasted by "invitations" to subscribe?
2. How do I reduce the daily emails from two to one without totally de-subscribing?

Additionally, why does the forum prescribe super-fancy passwords when, for the sake of the aforesaid gentleman, it's just a """" chat line!!!??????

Keithw88
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 12:45   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: VERY VERY ANNOYING REQUESTS TO REGISTER

Assuming you are looking at this in a browser on a computer (because, as you said finding the link in the app is more difficult) then you need to login using your username and password. Once you login the invitations should stop popping up. If you don't login then they'll keep coming. Depending on how you use your browser you can keep yourself logged in, or store your credentials so logging in is one-click.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 13:11   #3

Browser works fine. App is a pain.
Check your settings for notifications and get rid of all of them.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 05:33   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

The app is the worst one I have come across. If I am not on a wireless network, I cannot gain access to the app.
Old 24-09-2017, 05:47   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I stopped using the app when I noticed that ads were presented as if they are forum topics. Totally annoing, you need to be suspucious every time you click on a new topic. Not for me!!!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:56   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I haven't changed my settings, but I notice that when I click on a digest topic, I used to be recognized by (presumably) my IP and passed straight through. Now I have to log in, and, once in, have to click a second time on the digest topic to get to it.

Clearly, something's changed at the CF end.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
....Clearly, something's changed at the CF end.
....and for the worse! Damned app/software engineering geeks -always needing to change things....whether improving or not....to justify their existence!

[On Android phone] Used to be, click on a topic in a CF email digest and that thread would open in the CF app....but for a while now, clicking instead opens to the main "Browse" page. Useless waste of time! So I select to open in a browser - but then the stupid thing starts to open and the redirects back to a request for me to choose again (!) what app or browser to use....before finally opening in the browser selected the 2nd time.

This is the only app I have these kinds of stupid issues with, though my rants about app developers in general apply to many. ...
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
....Clearly, something's changed at the CF end.
....and for the worse! Damned app/software engineering geeks -always needing to change things....whether improving or not....to justify their existence!

[On Android phone] Used to be, click on a topic in a CF email digest and that thread would open in the CF app....but for a while now, clicking instead opens to the main "Browse" page. Useless waste of time! So I select to open in a browser - but then the stupid thing starts to open and the redirects back to a request for me to choose again (!) what app or browser to use....before finally opening in the browser selected the 2nd time.

This is the only app I have these kinds of stupid issues with, though my rants about app developers in general apply to many. ...
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:58   #9

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

That happened to me until I started not logging out. Now I just close the tab/browser and the site remembers me next time I open it. This works even if I'm just following a thread and I get the notification via email. You need to make sure that you "ask" the site to remember you before you click "log in" initially.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:50   #10

Boat: 36' Hartog ketch

IMO, you have configured your computer to reject all cookies. If you allow them from this site, your computer and the Forum's will do the old 'machine handshake' and recognize each other.
ThresherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:58   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post

The people making changes to justify their jobs isn't limited to apps..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:13   #12

Boat: Pearson 424

I only receive email notifications if I've contributed to a thread topic and a new post is made to that thread, otherwise I do not receive anything from CF. I am always logged in on my phone and laptop. I have no complaints about this free app. Especially after all of the great information I've garnered from all of the contributers. Thanks CF.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:33   #13

Boat: Moana 33

I'm the world's most technologically-challenged, computer-illiterate human and yet it all works just fine for me... no idea how or why, CF just works as it should. (My wife set it up - maybe that's why???)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 12:39   #14

I, too, get repeated invitations to join. Annoying, but not enough to start a thread. Annoying enough to respond to one, tho. It does seem that some web guru could put in a filter to stop those for people already members. Just sayin'
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:33   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
I'm the world's most technologically-challenged, computer-illiterate human and yet it all works just fine for me... no idea how or why, CF just works as it should. (My wife set it up - maybe that's why???)
Same here ! Maybe the 2 ladies should set up a business /