Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2006, 18:13   #16

If the post displays differently than I type it, it's a modification, no matter how it's explained away. You can say attach, edit, modify, change, whatever you want; I still don't like it.

Please, there is no further need to try to explain to me. I know you will just by trying to help, but I understood perfectly the first time. It's not that I don't understand; it's that I don't like what I type being changed in any way.

And I'm still grateful that the site's strategy spares me that indignity.

Fair Winds to All,

Jeff
Old 24-10-2006, 14:46   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jeff-
"If the post displays differently than I type it, it's a modification, no matter how it's explained away."
I can appreciate your view on that. If you feel that way, you may have to stick to BBSes and not use the common web forums, since they use HTML.

Or, post your replies as graphic images if you want them to be in a "fixed format". That's the way HTML accomodates what you want.

You are seeing "hypertext markups". That's what HTML and the common format on the web is all about. And, one of the basic precepts behind HTML is that it is displayed according to the settings of at least two parties--the author AND the viewer. What I set in my browser, will override what you set in your post. And what a host (i.e. the forum) sets in *their* HTML hosting software (the forum) again will override what you post.

This is the basis under HTML and the web as we know it. We don't have to like it, but that's the way it was designed to run. Complaining about it is like complaining that horses leave horse pies behind when they pass. Yeah, that's the way they work. Sure, it smells. Don't like it? Stay away from the horses, they're not going to change.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 18:22   #18

Hello,

Don't want to seem terse, but it appears that what you giveth with the right hand, you taketh away with the left.
Old 10-11-2006, 14:16   #19

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Ok Andy,

I am logged in and I STILL see all the little words underlined in green...

Did something change?

2divers
Old 11-11-2006, 05:15   #20

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Now they are gone. Thanks!

Did something glitch momentarily? They are gone now.
Old 26-11-2006, 08:05   #21

Those underlined words and thier popups

What is going on with all the double underlined words in the text of postings? When you hold or move the cursor over one you get an advertising popup that will not go away until the little movie it plays is finished. Others bring up a "Microsoft Live" web search.

This is extremely irritating and I asssume it is on your end. If so will you please do away with this. If on the other hand it is some stupid applet I have picked up can you help me ID it and get rid of it?

thanks
Alan Perry
Old 26-11-2006, 10:27   #22
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Alan - read the above and now attached thread.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 10:45   #23

Well, I understand the need to pay bills however this particular "device" is irritating in the extreme. I am a registered user and I am supposed to be automatically signed in, but I occasionally get these ad generators. My vote would be to take them off and find another way of gerating income.
Old 27-11-2006, 00:12   #24

I just found this forum yesterday, and just joined in hopes that being a registered user would make the InteliText Ads go away. But no glory... I don't read with my mouse but I use it to scroll the pages, and every time I bump into one of those irritating ads, it balloons out, distracts my reading, if not covering up the section I'm reading completely. I know certainly that I'm not alone in feeling this way either, and I understand wanting to cover server cost and maybe a few extra dollars, but an annoyance such as this I don't feel is worth it.

edit: now I don't see them? is there a 1 post min to disable them? or is it bugged or just random...
handoverfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 03:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I suspect that you logged out and logged back in, once you had registered, and it THEN recognized that you were registered and set what every flag so those things don't show up.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:18   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
I suspect that you logged out and logged back in, once you had registered, and it THEN recognized that you were registered and set what every flag so those things don't show up.
They just magically reappeared for me. I logged out and back in. No joy.

I wonder if the message nagging me to post has anything to do with it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:24   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Looks like they disappear after a single post.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:10   #28

if you have firefox you can download a plugin called greasemonkey which is a scripting software that allows you too change a webpage as you see fit.

I personally use it for removing advertisments of all types from all websites including intellitext.
Its a great plugin and well worth a look!
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:46   #29

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
I'm sure it has to do with time between posts. I now have these appearing. They showed up about the same time as I got the message that I haven't posted in a while. Hopefully with this reply they will disappear.

Is it possible to change the setting for the "It appears that you have not posted on our fomums in several weeks" message? It has not been that long since my last post....less than 4 weeks, I think. I started getting the message at week 3, and the linked words at the same time.

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45   #30
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Those ads do not appear for active posters. If you do not post then the ads will start to appear again.

If you want to disable them at any time all you have to do is click on the question mark and then scroll to the bottom of the next page. You will then see an ad that says click here to disable them.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote