Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2008, 05:10   #1

Boat: searching
Thinning out the weeds?

Just some feedback in the form of a question. Do the admins or mods normally take out post that are off subject. Came to me while reading the thread on diesel electric hybrids. All of the sudden its about nuclear subs shutting down the reactors and whose wife does what and who retired from the Navy. Seems off to me. My guess is it would keep you too busy as I have noticed this quiet a bit.

And what about those "evil doers", now they know how often those reactors are shut down, darn it!

The Herbster
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 08:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Herb - we don't read EVERY thread - we rely a lot on the members letting us know if there is a problem. I'll stop by the hybrid thread and see if I can post a 'return to your regularly scheduled program' post.

Thanks

Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 08:55   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think the threads can get interesting when they drift. They can always be brought back to the original point. It's like any conversation in real life. They drift too.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 11:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Imagine - true in general, and true in this case.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 12:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The pint thread drift occurs, is usually the point where the topic has done it's dash and has nothing more to say on the topic. Weeding the excess will not help the topic.
Please understand that this Forum is unique. It is not just about the Topics as such. It is about building relationships. As the Name implies, it is a "Cruisers Forum". Although the subjects are what make this place, the true heart is that this place is for those that the boating life is the passion, not just the topic of Boating. We do try and keep off topic on topic, hence even the Off topic rules saying the off topic conversation should still remain loosely related to boating. But if we cut all off topic out, we cut the very soul of the Forum.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 15:47   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
The pint thread drift occurs, is usually the point where the topic has done it's dash and has nothing more to say on the topic. Weeding the excess will not help the topic.
Please understand that this Forum is unique. It is not just about the Topics as such. It is about building relationships. As the Name implies, it is a "Cruisers Forum". Although the subjects are what make this place, the true heart is that this place is for those that the boating life is the passion, not just the topic of Boating. We do try and keep off topic on topic, hence even the Off topic rules saying the off topic conversation should still remain loosely related to boating. But if we cut all off topic out, we cut the very soul of the Forum.
I am glad to read this. I get bummed out when someone's post gets deleted because it strayed off topic. The community is probably the only reason I'm on this forum vs. other forums of the same nature. Without that community and lively conversation and jokes... well... why would anyone want to stick around?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 16:18   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Gardening ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I am glad to read this. ..... Without that community and lively conversation and jokes... well... why would anyone want to stick around?
OK, I am glad too....but wondering how "thinning out the weeds" by a
"herbster" found its way onto a boating forum - miss-posted from a gardening forum maybe.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 22:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It does require a balance however. So it doesn't mean open slather. As I said, we still require a loose theme to cruising in some way. We do have to have some constraints or things will get out of hand.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote