Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-04-2011, 08:10   #31

Boat: Aries 32
Re: Singlehanding Sub Forum Possible?

Can we make a subsub-forum about singlehanding Aries out of SF Bay? If that's too specific, it could be about double-ended Gilmer designs. But maybe exclude the Southern Cross riffraff - you know how they are....

Seriously, I hate the subfora. They're easy enough to ignore when browsing, but when I have a question....does this go in "monohulls" or "electrical" or "wiring" or "refitting" or ..., knowing that whatever choice I make is going to exclude the folks who peruse the "wiring" but not the "electrical" fora. Those design decisions are not made by people who know how the Internet works. Imagine if Google made you pick a single nonsensical exclusionary category before publishing your information!

Anyway, enough pointless rant: to search CF - or any other site on the web - prefix your Google query with "site:{the URL}." Searching Google for "site:cruisersforum.com singlehand" finds "singlehand" and "singlehanding" and "single hand" and ....

Old 13-04-2011, 15:38   #32

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27
Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

I for one would love to have a single-handed sub-forum. It has been done since man has been going to sea. And, it continues to this day in all forms either by choice, organized racing (trans-atlantic & around the globe), or the way of the clipper routes as an individual achievement.

It would be nice if there was a dedicated forum for the challenges and steps to safely complete extended voyages. These thread topics are already being discussed- they are just scattered about the various sections on the forum. Give it a 6 month trial to see if it has merit.

It would give those of us who planning such a journey a nice place to talk in a more "peaceful" forum versus getting dumped on by those who see it as a great sin as these topics appear in other forums.

Regards,
Dale

Old 14-04-2011, 09:51   #33

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey

I confess that I'm somewhat baffled by the hand-wringing. What is the downside of creating this subforum? Why attempt to anticipate in advance the scope and scale of use? It should not create additional Moderator oversight or operational costs. The Liveaboard forum is not wildly active, but is certainly seen as useful by those who use it and has some incredibly valuable information and active discussions. I'd argue that a Singlehanded sub-forum is even more squarely within the mandate of a forum dedicated to "Cruisers and Sailing".

As with any other software product or service, if your users are finding workarounds and tying themselves into knots doing something that they think is valuable (see comments above re search strategies, tagging, etc.) then it's probably a pretty good sign that there's value there and the feature is warranted.

My $0.02 (Canadian).

Cheers!
Old 14-04-2011, 10:09   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

If you think of it like a directory structure then the more high level divisions you have the harder it is to categorize a document.

If you want to discuss something to do with sail trim, now, you can decide is this a systems question or a seamanship question and choose your forum. If you are interested in the specifics of it from a solo perspective you can add that to the title of your thread.

With a solo forum you now are deciding between three forum. If the solo forum seems appropriate your post now is put in with all solo sailing posts although it has nothing to do with solo anchoring, solo cooking, solo engine repairs etc., unless you further subdivide solo sailing. Meanwhile your post is becoming organizationally more marginalized.

For most subjects the challenges of sailing solo are a subdivision of the challenges of sailing.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 10:21   #35
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The question in my mind is how many actual subjects are unique to singlehanding? There are issues like standing watch, sail handling and perhaps some psychological issues but if we're only talking a few threads it hardly warrants a subforum.
other topics might include: how to set a boat up for singlehanding; how to handle downwind sails; sleeping strategies; first aid considerations; and, of course, how to cope when you start hearing voices.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:25   #36
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
.......and, of course, how to cope when you start hearing voices.
And even worse, how to cope when those on-board friends STOP talking to you no matter what you say to them
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 11:39   #37

Quote:
If you think of it like a directory structure then the more high level divisions you have the harder it is to categorize a document.

If you want to discuss something to do with sail trim, now, you can decide is this a systems question or a seamanship question and choose your forum. If you are interested in the specifics of it from a solo perspective you can add that to the title of your thread.

With a solo forum you now are deciding between three forum. If the solo forum seems appropriate your post now is put in with all solo sailing posts although it has nothing to do with solo anchoring, solo cooking, solo engine repairs etc., unless you further subdivide solo sailing. Meanwhile your post is becoming organizationally more marginalized.

For most subjects the challenges of sailing solo are a subdivision of the challenges of sailing.
This is true, of course (though is a functionality limitation that may deserve more long-term attention - there are ways to use check-box functionality to simultaneously post to multiple fora when composing the post; this is actually the perfect solution, though implementing may be less than simple). However, I would argue that this is more of a theoretical problem than one that would be a practical issue for this specific example. Many people have already indicated that they use the search function or the new posts stream exclusively already. But aside from that, if my problem is singlehanded anchoring specifically, it wouldn't take a great deal of thought to know to look in that forum.

Two sides to every argument, of course, but why wrestle with forecasting behavior? This request seemed to strike a chord with many, so why not set up the forum and if it languishes that will be apparent fairly quickly.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:48   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Undoing it once it is done would be a PITA. What appears to the members as little trouble doesn't neccessarily appear that way to the forum staff.

If this thread is an example then your supposition that the request strikes a chord doesn't seem be supported with evidence.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 12:17   #39

Quote:
If this thread is an example then your supposition that the request strikes a chord doesn't seem be supported with evidence.
If what you mean by this is that you disagree, I suppose you're right. I'll move on.
Old 14-04-2011, 12:51   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Lol

Or CF could sniff half a business opportunity and see how it goes?
Old 14-04-2011, 15:26   #41
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Singlehanding Sub Forum Possible?

Quote:
I agree... solo sailing is no different from sailing with one or two others...
Just infinitely more peaceful...
No sub-forum needed..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:06   #42
vjm

Seems to be quite a lot of support in favor of such a subforum on the thread that was split off from this one.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:45   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Given that the "Powers that be" seem reluctant to set up a Singlehanding sub Forum (maybe they fear it would detract from contributions to / readership of the "Pets on the BBQ" and "Wot's a dinghy?" sub-forums?).........howabout a compromise? "Shorthanded Sailing" under the General Sailing sub-forum.......given that many folks are defacto singlehanded, even with extra bodies onboard - might be a useful way to exchange ideas or discuss approaches (and - yikes! - maybe even swap opinions ).
Old 21-04-2011, 11:56   #44
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I like that, David Old Jersey. A shorthanded sailing forum would engage more cruisers, and be less likely to provoke endless debate about the morality of singlehanded passage making.
Old 21-04-2011, 12:08   #45
vjm

Are you saying just as a thread? If so, that was exactly why I asked. There are many threads, but no dedicated place to compile them all and sort out the noise.

Certainly better than nothing, but given the level of interest I am sure CF could do better.

Tags
singlehanding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: