Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: should the bumfuzzle thread be locked
yes 8 9.88%
no 40 49.38%
who cares? 33 40.74%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 17:58   #1

Boat: now floating easy37
should the bumfuzzle thread be locked?

this is only my second poll so i really am not to sure how to make these things well, and actually my last poll was on whether you liked the bumfuzzles and i coppped a little falck for this but hey, i reckon theyre prettyy cool
Old 05-04-2007, 18:14   #2

If a thread becomes overly abusive, or completely off topic it might as well be locked. I don't know if the Bumfuzzle thread went that way, but it sounds like it may have, and if it did, then locking it was fair enough.
Old 05-04-2007, 20:28   #3

Boat: Trawler
Thumbs up I vote-leave it locked

What makes you think a forum is a democracy. It is owned, sponsored and run by those chosen by the owner. If they choose to close a thread, so be it. It is their decision for what ever reason. They keep this place pretty clean compared to other sites I've seen. If a few toes are stepped on, so what. The over all system is running smooth.

The members choose to be here on their own, it's not required. So take what you get, it's free. Nothing loss, except words. And from what I read most of the words were speculation and useless.

Have a beer and relax, stirring up the silt just dirties the water.
On second thought, maybe it is the beer. Have a drink of silty water, so you can have a bad taste in your mouth.

Yours Aye!
Old 06-04-2007, 00:34   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

I voted not to lock the thread.........

My view on the Bumfrazzles was fair go to anyone with the gumption to do what they have done. Notwithstanding that perhaps they set off with less knowledge / preparation than would have been ideal..........but if folk always waited for the perfect time, many would never do anything.

Their attitude is certainly different - but i read them as being brutally honest, with hamming their stories / attitudes up for increased effect - but not so much as to be unbeleivable..........I have been around the globe a bit in my time (sans Boat) and attitudes they express by visitors to places foreign are by no means unusual. I used to think they were "wrong" and "missing out" - but my view has changed over the years to "live and let live", plus the realisation that I am not really that different in my enjoyment of my (western orientated) lifestyle - no matter where in the world I actually am........or what I may say / claim or delude myself about...............

BUT having said all that, the Bumfizzle thread is IMO now a complete waste of space for any meaningful comment or discussion - but apart from any censorship issues (of course this is NOT a democracy ), I figure keeping it open serves the practical purpose of having a spot for those who want to vent their spleens.........kinda like a wasp trap in real life or practical the purpose of Free speech.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:59   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I voted "who cares?" It is all a tempest in a tea pot. I quickly grew tired of all the sniping and quit reading it. If there are those with so little important issues in their lives that they become embroiled in this, let them go.

I admire the spirit of adventure of the subject boat and crew and think many of the things they do are foolish, but as I said, WHO CARES?

George
Bob Seger
Old 06-04-2007, 06:13   #6

i emailed the bumfuzzles about a year ago, wishing them luck and giving them some of my famous non-solicited sailing advise. since that time, we have become wonderful friends and correspond very frequently. i love pat and ali and await the day that we can meet in person. they are a very sweet, funny couple and their energy and enthusiasm inspires me. we will never agree on some things..(they find sailing boring, and really just enjoy travelling), and i detest fast food, haha!, but we do agree on the pompousity of many 'cruisers' and the absolute audacity of their nosiness and judgemental behaviour. those of you who haven't had the opportunity to befriend these cool kids, as i have, are missing out on a truly fantastic chance of friendship. i certainly treasure ours.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:05   #7

Voted "Who Cares". David O-J and Sunspot Baby sum up my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-04-2007, 14:47   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The idea that the Bummfuzzle topic was banned is incorrect.

Just start a new thread!

If it turns into a brawl we can close it down as we would any thread that goes in that direction. The poll that really counts was very unanimous among the staff.

It wasn't locked because of the topic but the mess that it created. Any thread that gets out of hand will be locked. We will generally lock a thread before we delete it unless it is spam. Spam goes on sight by any staff member that sees it. It does not last very long here.
Old 06-04-2007, 18:28   #9

I'd like to have it opened. I used to admin a message board, and it's worth remembering that sometimes new people show up, who weren't a part of old drama, and might want to comment.

As far as starting a new thread is concerned, if they do, they'll just get told to shut up and get linked to the old thread, with someone saying "we already talked about that."

Beyond that, why should I have to start a new thread that is directly related to comments and ideas from an existing one? Simply from an information architecture point of view that's a pretty inefficient system.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:48   #10

Boat: Stevens 47
I actually FOUND this site through some other controversy on some other site about Bumfuzzle...it was referenced and so here I am....something to thank them for....
Old 07-04-2007, 12:26   #11

Now See!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo
I actually FOUND this site through some other controversy on some other site about Bumfuzzle...it was referenced and so here I am....something to thank them for....
The birds have gathered on the pond and the fisherman are come'n over to see what for.

Locking a thread can have it's advantages. It hasn't been censored or deleted , just locked. 441 posts is enough! That's more of a blog then a forum thread. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/69004-post441.html
Lets move on to bigger and better things, rather then bickering over something that can still be viewed. As if anyone would want to go through that whole menagerie.

Yours Aye!
Old 07-04-2007, 18:18   #12

Boat: Corsair F-27 "Varakai"
advantages to locking?

I guess there might be advantages to locking certain types of threads, but the Bumfuzzle thread doesn't seem to need it, to me. If you see such an advantage, please put forth your logic.

But please don't blame flaming. It has been pointed out by one of the moderators that private emails to flamers almost always gets them to stop. In fact, I think it's actually a good thing to allow a bit of flaming now and then. It lets us all see who the knuckleheads are so we can ignore their posts in the future. It's not hard to see the name of the poster over there on the left and just jump right by the whole message.

So what if the thread is 441 posts? So what if it grows to 4410 posts? The amount of space these threads take up in server space or transmission bandwidth is negligible. It's just text.

Locking a thread just starts another thread and that makes it harder to follow the train of thought.

If you don't like long threads, don't read them. Read every other post. Read just the ones written by women or one-armed pirates. Whatever you like.

If you only like short threads, just read short threads. If I want to read every bit of a long thread, what possible problem is that to anyone else? If I want to add a comment to a very long thread, what possible problem is that to anyone else?

Finally, I'd like to echo Rangiroo's comment: I found Cruiser's Forum by stumbling on to the Bumfuzzle site. I'm glad I found Cruiser's Forum. I'm a firm believer in variety spicing up life. I've gotten a few tips from some of the other sailors here like Alan Wheeler in other threads, and I learned a few things about human nature and life on a sailboat from Bumfuzzle chronicles and other cruiser's pages. It's all good in one way or another.
Old 07-04-2007, 18:21   #13

Boat: Corsair F-27 "Varakai"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilgeRat

Lets move on to bigger and better things . . .
BilgeRat,

Go for it! Start up another thread of something interesting to you. Maybe it will draw a crowd and we'll all gain from it.

Charlie Magee
Old 07-04-2007, 20:04   #14

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Maybe some people on the forum enjoyed that thread. It's simple, if you don't like the thread don't click on it and stay out of it, don't censor it. But who am I to say, that is just my opinion. But the powers that be, that is thier decision, not mine. So so be it.
Old 07-04-2007, 22:36   #15

OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemagee
BilgeRat,

Go for it! Start up another thread of something interesting to you. Maybe it will draw a crowd and we'll all gain from it.

Charlie Magee
Something of importance to Cruiser's.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post76532
Closed Thread