Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: should the bumfuzzle thread be locked
yes 8 9.88%
no 40 49.38%
who cares? 33 40.74%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31   #31

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I haven't been in this forum for around 6 months, maybe a little bit less and yet the topic of the "bumfuzzles" or whatever seems to have eternal life. I would say from an editorial point of view and keeping a site active, kind of like keeping readers of a newspaper that the topic should be allowed to roll along for the next decade or two. Obviously it fulfills some dark need by some as it continues to not die.

I did read something about this couple because of the flack in these forums, however what struck me, like the many forums I belong to, was an over reaction to a non-event, blown out of proportion. This happens all the time in the photography and model railroading forums I frequent. These kind of threads I see as the "spice" of a forum and make them more interesting as long as they don't get too heated; however, why folks would get themselves in a slather over another couples sailing around the world is a mystery to me. Seems there are so many evils and negatives in the world, the "bum who evers" must surely be down there with the "dog pooh in the parks" debate.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:01   #32

I wonder if the new owners are planning on maintaining a web site and doing a circumnavigation:

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/b...g_id=74864&url=
Old 04-06-2007, 12:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Then for cryin out loud, DISCUSS THE BUMFUZZLES!! No ones stoping anyone discussing the Bumfuzzles.
The reason we lock these threads is because they get totaly off topic and start raving on about how the "forum" (read..the hard working for no reward mod team) control threads and pick on young cruisers doing something wrong and balh blah.
By all means, go ahead and contribute. But contribute please. Don't add to the noise.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:44   #34

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Quite a listing on YachtWorld.
Under "Safety Gear", I did not see a MOB pole (grey) listed. Hmmmmm.
Pat must have that up on the wall somewhere !

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
Old 12-06-2007, 19:16   #35

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
pirate Maybe that is why it's locked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Yeah. Keep it locked. Why would we want to discuss successful circumnavigators on a cruising forum?
Cruising is adventure, fun, risk, and learning. The 'bums' did it and are moving on to some land based adventures.

I just never figured out HOW they afforded to do it. Their own website doesn't go into that.

Silver spoons?

So is it jealousy that locked the thread?

just my 1/50th of a dollar.
Old 12-06-2007, 20:26   #36

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
I found these interesting quotes that remind me of the 'bums' also, and I cannot be critical of them... they DID and are doing their adventure!

The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.
Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)

I have found adventure in flying, in world travel, in business, and even close at hand... Adventure is a state of mind - and spirit.
Jacqueline Cochran (1910 - 1980)

The most beautiful adventures are not those we go to seek.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894)

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller (1880 - 1968), The Open Door (1957)

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London (1876 - 1916), Jack London's Tales of Adventure

When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Closed Thread