Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 15:14   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seeing Stars

Helloo,

I am seeing stars.

I noticed some small stars near the avatars. What do those signify? Some members have one star, others have more.

Just curious.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 15:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Seeing Stars

They indicate the number of times a member has posted, not how good they have been .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 15:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
They indicate the number of times a member has posted, not how good they have been .
Shhhhhhh...don't tell santa that!
Old 23-12-2014, 03:59   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

They really just mean that some of us have too much time on our hands (we don't spend enough time maintaining the boat or sailing (sigh)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 04:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
They really just mean that some of us have too much time on our hands (we don't spend enough time maintaining the boat or sailing (sigh)
Shhh... Don't tell the Mrs. that...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 08:07   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
More accurately stated if you see when the member joined and how many times they have post during that time and how log their posts are, can really give an indication of too much time on their hands.
I remember selling one of my past boats...seemed every tire kicker that came by to look at it had a 3 hour life story to tell. I now know why brokers can be so insensitive.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

TO: Seaworthy Lass, Carstenb, and HappyMdRSailor:

I have been amazed at the number of members here who have posted thousands of posts and some while in what I would have considered remote locations or while on a boat in some place.

For me, it shows that even if one is in a place far off, or far from an ocean, (or even far from a boat) there is a common interest in the subject, a sense of community that can be global, and some enjoyment of the time spent sharing our mutual love of boats and sailing.

I know where I am now and have been for the last few years (with cowboys on remote ranches in Texas and other Western states), it is hard to find sailors on a ranch where the common interests are horses, cattle, dogs, and hunting.

I am very happy to have found a community of friendly, welcoming, and helpful sailors via the net!

I find it rewarding, educational, and often fun (due to the good humor I see from several folks here, including you three), to spend some time here connecting with other folks who share my interest in boats, including my interest in those mundane subjects like maintenance.

As I hope to buy my first big boat in 2015, I have spent many hours here in the last 6 months reading as much as I could to glean some of the wisdom from you folks.

Thank you all for participating and contributing and for being friendly too!

Have a Happy New Year too!
Old 26-12-2014, 11:37   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You've never seen Roger Rabbit, have you?

"I said STARS, not TWEETY BIRDS! STARS!!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:41   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It shows how much power you have and proves you are more right and informed than the guy/gal with less stars.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 01:37   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

TO: Seaworthy Lass, Carstenb, and HappyMdRSailor:

I have been amazed at the number of members here who have posted thousands of posts and some while in what I would have considered remote locations or while on a boat in some place.

For me, it shows that even if one is in a place far off, or far from an ocean, (or even far from a boat) there is a common interest in the subject, a sense of community that can be global, and some enjoyment of the time spent sharing our mutual love of boats and sailing.

I know where I am now and have been for the last few years (with cowboys on remote ranches in Texas and other Western states), it is hard to find sailors on a ranch where the common interests are horses, cattle, dogs, and hunting.

I am very happy to have found a community of friendly, welcoming, and helpful sailors via the net!

I find it rewarding, educational, and often fun (due to the good humor I see from several folks here, including you three), to spend some time here connecting with other folks who share my interest in boats, including my interest in those mundane subjects like maintenance.

As I hope to buy my first big boat in 2015, I have spent many hours here in the last 6 months reading as much as I could to glean some of the wisdom from you folks.

Thank you all for participating and contributing and for being friendly too!

Have a Happy New Year too!
Steady Hand,

On behalf of the MOD team - I thank you for the kind words.

Happy New Year to you - and I hope you find the boat of your dreams (that doesn't need too much maintenance)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 08:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Steady Hand,

On behalf of the MOD team - I thank you for the kind words.

Happy New Year to you - and I hope you find the boat of your dreams (that doesn't need too much maintenance)
SH...

You should include yourself in the pack patting.... Your contributions are very thorough!

Happy New Year Friend...
HS

Old 28-12-2014, 08:37   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You've never seen Roger Rabbit, have you?

"I said STARS, not TWEETY BIRDS! STARS!!"

I got this!

I remember the line and movie too.

And I always enjoy the good humor I find shared here on this forum, from you and others.
Old 28-12-2014, 08:40   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
It shows how much power you have and proves you are more right and informed than the guy/gal with less stars.

Sounds like you were in the Navy.

I was hoping it meant one gets a cookie! More Stars = More Cookies

Have a happy New Year!
Old 28-12-2014, 08:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
SH...

You should include yourself in the pack patting.... Your contributions are very thorough!

Happy New Year Friend...
HS
Thanks! You made my day!

But, I suppose you have a typo in your line above. I suppose you meant: "...in the pack ratting" and not "in the pack patting."

I admit, I am a "pack rat" when it comes to boating stuff. I think that if I don't have it (e.g. tool, gear, etc.) with me when out on the big blue, when I REALLY need it, I would regret it. Anyone else know about DWL moving due to too many tools and too much water? I am trying to cut down on this, and have made remarkable progress in traveling lighter.

In fact, knowing my inclination to carry more stuff (just in case), is one reason I am more of a cruiser than a racer, by nature. And I like some measure of comfort too.

Have a Happy New Year!
Old 28-12-2014, 09:06   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Thanks! You made my day!

But, I suppose you have a typo in your line above. I suppose you meant: "...in the pack ratting" and not "in the pack patting."

I admit, I am a "pack rat" when it comes to boating stuff. I think that if I don't have it (e.g. tool, gear, etc.) with me when out on the big blue, when I REALLY need it, I would regret it. Anyone else know about DWL moving due to too many tools and too much water? I am trying to cut down on this, and have made remarkable progress in traveling lighter.

In fact, knowing my inclination to carry more stuff (just in case), is one reason I am more of a cruiser than a racer, by nature. And I like some measure of comfort too.

Have a Happy New Year!
HA HA!!!

I'm leaving the typo for SURE now!
(and you know I meant "back patting")

One tip, and ONLY MY personal opinion... Your posts are SUPER informative... But... If you were to split them up into a couple shorter back to back posts of a few points each they would be easier to read...

(plus your star count goes up)

But then again... I have a short attention spa....