Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 05:36   #16

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Hey, I have a novel idea, why don't you ask the mods to raise it as an option.

I'm presuming you would want an option of donating using a credit card, or bsb transfer or BPay ?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:37   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

You don't use credit cards.
You don't like Paypal.
You don't want to use a company that requires you to give them your bank information.

I'm curious how you expect them to handle your payment?

When a business chooses how to accept payments it has to weigh ease of use on both sides of the transactions vs costs. Finding some obscure or inefficient way (cashing a check? meeting at a local starbucks so you can hand them cash?) to make one person happy seems to be inefficient.

I'm usually more anti-establishment and anti-big corporation but unfortunately you have to either work with the system to some degree or just accept that you can't participate in certain functions.

mountain out of mole hill
Old 03-06-2015, 05:42   #18

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
You don't like Paypal.
You don't want to use a company that requires you to give them your bank information.

I'll say it one more time in case anyone missed it on the last page...BITCOIN
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:42   #19

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yes, I did read your original post. Just by the time I read the others I'd forgotten you had advised you can't use a credit card.
Believe me wouldn't be bitching about it here otherwise. Damn busy day today. Nearly 8pm and just finished work.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:43   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

I share the OP's concerns over PayPal, and indeed all mammoth organizations that make their business out of getting into my private parts . I also object to CF's insistence on making the Supporting Member payment auto-reoccuring.

My solution is simple: I don't pay.

I appreciate CF, but I support them by contributing my time, comments, thoughts and ideas. IOW, I give them free content, which is the actual way CF owners make their money.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:45   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I share the OP's concerns over PayPal, and indeed all mammoth organizations that make their business out of getting into my private parts . I also object to CF's insistence on making the Supporting Member payment auto-reoccuring.

I appreciate CF, but I support them by contributing my time, comments, thoughts and ideas. IOW, I give them free content, which is the actual way CF owners make their money.
I like Guinness.
I would accept payment on my site in Guinness vouchers.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:46   #22

Quote:
You don't like Paypal.

When a business chooses how to accept payments it has to weigh ease of use on both sides of the transactions vs costs. Finding some obscure or inefficient way (cashing a check? meeting at a local starbucks so you can hand them cash?) to make one person happy seems to be inefficient.

I'm usually more anti-establishment and anti-big corporation but unfortunately you have to either work with the system to some degree or just accept that you can't participate in certain functions.

mountain out of mole hill
Shows you live in North America. There it is impossible to rent a car, for example, even IF you have sufficient funds in the bank to buy it outright…UNLESS you have a credit card. Nice coercion that, eh? Fortunately the rest of the world deals pretty happily with something called a debit card. Works exactly the same way, using the same marques/systems such as Visa etc. only they don't screw you at every turn, and you spend your actual money, not borrow to get nudged into debt slavery. Amazing concept, eh? Money as credit (debt) is ruining the world, noticed that yet?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 03-06-2015, 05:58   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Shows you live in North America. There it is impossible to rent a car, for example even IF you have sufficient funds in the bank to buy it outright… Fortunately the rest of the world deals pretty happily with something called a debit card. Basically the same only they don't screw you at every turn, and you spend your actual money, not borrow to get nudged into debt slavery. Amazing concept, eh?
Before this gets ugly.

Im into problem solving.

Write to any of the mods....... and ask them if another form of payment can be made.
They are approachable as is the site owner, and an answer will be forthcoming either yea or nay and a reason for it.

I dont bitch about payment companies because it gets my blood pressure up. Shower of absolute fatherless sons. That said, maybe the Mods will find a way to accommodate you.

Best of luck

A two Guinness answer.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:59   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Just thought I would let you all know that we have kicked this upstairs to the Admin department to see what can or cannot be done.

We'll get back to you when the dust settles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:00   #25

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I'm with you on not being in debt slavery. My debit card doubles as a visa card (no debt just clears as a credit card for those that don't accept off system debit cards). But I realize I'm in the minority by the choices i make in regards to how I utilize the system and don't expect merchants to jump through hoops to cater to me (unless there is enough percentage of users to justify the extra work/costs). It's not that you have a "feature request" for other payment plans, it's your rant about how everyone else needs to change how they do business to meet your agenda (probably augmented by your argument how everyone else needs to change their knot tying to meet your specifications). lol
Old 03-06-2015, 06:10   #26

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Just thought I would let you all know that we have kicked this upstairs to the Admin department to see what can or cannot be done.

We'll get back to you when the dust settles
If you want easy mode, try this.... WWW.bitpay.com

Just setup an account and paste their widget on your site, they'll handle the bitcoin for you.

Their basic service is free for the first $500,000 or something...should cover CF and sure beats credit card and PayPal fees.
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:36   #27

Quote:
I'm with you on not being in debt slavery. My debit card doubles as a visa card (no debt just clears as a credit card for those that don't accept off system debit cards). But I realize I'm in the minority by the choices i make in regards to how I utilize the system and don't expect merchants to jump through hoops to cater to me (unless there is enough percentage of users to justify the extra work/costs). It's not that you have a "feature request" for other payment plans, it's your rant about how everyone else needs to change how they do business to meet your agenda (probably augmented by your argument how everyone else needs to change their knot tying to meet your specifications). lol

Umm… ok. Well most sites actually do not insist on paypal. And… I am exactly not the person insisting on anything vis a vis knots. If you meant the whole "zeppelin" thing… Status quo is all good with me, and that's exactly what i said. Can't see how saying that one of the most widely taught and used basic knots in the world was, in fact, quite useful amounted to saying "everyone needs to change their knot to meet {my} specifications"??? I think you are confusing me with someone else.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
If you want easy mode, try this.... WWW.bitpay.com

Just setup an account and paste their widget on your site, they'll handle the bitcoin for you.

Their basic service is free for the first $500,000 or something...should cover CF and sure beats credit card and PayPal fees.
TY. Will look into this.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Before this gets ugly.

Im into problem solving.

Write to any of the mods....... and ask them if another form of payment can be made.
They are approachable as is the site owner, and an answer will be forthcoming either yea or nay and a reason for it.

I dont bitch about payment companies because it gets my blood pressure up. Shower of absolute fatherless sons. That said, maybe the Mods will find a way to accommodate you.

Best of luck

A two Guinness answer.
Thanks. TBH I did not know that the mods on this site were specifically the ones to approach. Should prolly have done that first. Sorry I ruffled any feathers.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Good points. All. Well perhaps I'll just stay with "registered"…

Tags
red tape