Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:36   #16
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Hey, I have a novel idea, why don't you ask the mods to raise it as an option.

I'm presuming you would want an option of donating using a credit card, or bsb transfer or BPay ?
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:37   #17
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 371
Images: 1
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

You don't use credit cards.
You don't like Paypal.
You don't want to use a company that requires you to give them your bank information.

I'm curious how you expect them to handle your payment?

When a business chooses how to accept payments it has to weigh ease of use on both sides of the transactions vs costs. Finding some obscure or inefficient way (cashing a check? meeting at a local starbucks so you can hand them cash?) to make one person happy seems to be inefficient.

I'm usually more anti-establishment and anti-big corporation but unfortunately you have to either work with the system to some degree or just accept that you can't participate in certain functions.

mountain out of mole hill
__________________

dwedeking2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Boat: Aloha 34
Posts: 124
Images: 2
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
You don't use credit cards.
You don't like Paypal.
You don't want to use a company that requires you to give them your bank information.

I'm curious how you expect them to handle your payment?
I'll say it one more time in case anyone missed it on the last page...BITCOIN
__________________
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42   #19
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yes, I did read your original post. Just by the time I read the others I'd forgotten you had advised you can't use a credit card.
Believe me wouldn't be bitching about it here otherwise. Damn busy day today. Nearly 8pm and just finished work.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43   #20
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,023
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

I share the OP's concerns over PayPal, and indeed all mammoth organizations that make their business out of getting into my private parts . I also object to CF's insistence on making the Supporting Member payment auto-reoccuring.

My solution is simple: I don't pay.

I appreciate CF, but I support them by contributing my time, comments, thoughts and ideas. IOW, I give them free content, which is the actual way CF owners make their money.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:45   #21
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I share the OP's concerns over PayPal, and indeed all mammoth organizations that make their business out of getting into my private parts . I also object to CF's insistence on making the Supporting Member payment auto-reoccuring.

My solution is simple: I don't pay.

I appreciate CF, but I support them by contributing my time, comments, thoughts and ideas. IOW, I give them free content, which is the actual way CF owners make their money.
I like Guinness.
I would accept payment on my site in Guinness vouchers.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:46   #22
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
You don't use credit cards.
You don't like Paypal.
You don't want to use a company that requires you to give them your bank information.

I'm curious how you expect them to handle your payment?


When a business chooses how to accept payments it has to weigh ease of use on both sides of the transactions vs costs. Finding some obscure or inefficient way (cashing a check? meeting at a local starbucks so you can hand them cash?) to make one person happy seems to be inefficient.

I'm usually more anti-establishment and anti-big corporation but unfortunately you have to either work with the system to some degree or just accept that you can't participate in certain functions.

mountain out of mole hill
Shows you live in North America. There it is impossible to rent a car, for example, even IF you have sufficient funds in the bank to buy it outright…UNLESS you have a credit card. Nice coercion that, eh? Fortunately the rest of the world deals pretty happily with something called a debit card. Works exactly the same way, using the same marques/systems such as Visa etc. only they don't screw you at every turn, and you spend your actual money, not borrow to get nudged into debt slavery. Amazing concept, eh? Money as credit (debt) is ruining the world, noticed that yet?
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58   #23
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Shows you live in North America. There it is impossible to rent a car, for example even IF you have sufficient funds in the bank to buy it outright… Fortunately the rest of the world deals pretty happily with something called a debit card. Basically the same only they don't screw you at every turn, and you spend your actual money, not borrow to get nudged into debt slavery. Amazing concept, eh?
Before this gets ugly.

Im into problem solving.

Write to any of the mods....... and ask them if another form of payment can be made.
They are approachable as is the site owner, and an answer will be forthcoming either yea or nay and a reason for it.

I dont bitch about payment companies because it gets my blood pressure up. Shower of absolute fatherless sons. That said, maybe the Mods will find a way to accommodate you.

Best of luck

A two Guinness answer.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:59   #24
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Just thought I would let you all know that we have kicked this upstairs to the Admin department to see what can or cannot be done.

We'll get back to you when the dust settles
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:00   #25
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 371
Images: 1
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

I'm with you on not being in debt slavery. My debit card doubles as a visa card (no debt just clears as a credit card for those that don't accept off system debit cards). But I realize I'm in the minority by the choices i make in regards to how I utilize the system and don't expect merchants to jump through hoops to cater to me (unless there is enough percentage of users to justify the extra work/costs). It's not that you have a "feature request" for other payment plans, it's your rant about how everyone else needs to change how they do business to meet your agenda (probably augmented by your argument how everyone else needs to change their knot tying to meet your specifications). lol
dwedeking2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:10   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee
Boat: Aloha 34
Posts: 124
Images: 2
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Just thought I would let you all know that we have kicked this upstairs to the Admin department to see what can or cannot be done.

We'll get back to you when the dust settles
If you want easy mode, try this.... WWW.bitpay.com

Just setup an account and paste their widget on your site, they'll handle the bitcoin for you.

Their basic service is free for the first $500,000 or something...should cover CF and sure beats credit card and PayPal fees.
__________________
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:36   #27
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I'm with you on not being in debt slavery. My debit card doubles as a visa card (no debt just clears as a credit card for those that don't accept off system debit cards). But I realize I'm in the minority by the choices i make in regards to how I utilize the system and don't expect merchants to jump through hoops to cater to me (unless there is enough percentage of users to justify the extra work/costs). It's not that you have a "feature request" for other payment plans, it's your rant about how everyone else needs to change how they do business to meet your agenda (probably augmented by your argument how everyone else needs to change their knot tying to meet your specifications). lol



Umm… ok. Well most sites actually do not insist on paypal. And… I am exactly not the person insisting on anything vis a vis knots. If you meant the whole "zeppelin" thing… Status quo is all good with me, and that's exactly what i said. Can't see how saying that one of the most widely taught and used basic knots in the world was, in fact, quite useful amounted to saying "everyone needs to change their knot to meet {my} specifications"??? I think you are confusing me with someone else.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46   #28
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
If you want easy mode, try this.... WWW.bitpay.com

Just setup an account and paste their widget on your site, they'll handle the bitcoin for you.

Their basic service is free for the first $500,000 or something...should cover CF and sure beats credit card and PayPal fees.
TY. Will look into this.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:49   #29
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Before this gets ugly.

Im into problem solving.

Write to any of the mods....... and ask them if another form of payment can be made.
They are approachable as is the site owner, and an answer will be forthcoming either yea or nay and a reason for it.

I dont bitch about payment companies because it gets my blood pressure up. Shower of absolute fatherless sons. That said, maybe the Mods will find a way to accommodate you.

Best of luck

A two Guinness answer.
Thanks. TBH I did not know that the mods on this site were specifically the ones to approach. Should prolly have done that first. Sorry I ruffled any feathers.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:57   #30
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I share the OP's concerns over PayPal, and indeed all mammoth organizations that make their business out of getting into my private parts . I also object to CF's insistence on making the Supporting Member payment auto-reoccuring.

My solution is simple: I don't pay.

I appreciate CF, but I support them by contributing my time, comments, thoughts and ideas. IOW, I give them free content, which is the actual way CF owners make their money.
Good points. All. Well perhaps I'll just stay with "registered"…
__________________

__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
red tape

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Tape and Boating Licence laforge24 Seamanship & Boat Handling 18 30-10-2012 07:55
Buying, registering, and red tape in Sint Maartens Bluefuss Monohull Sailboats 1 10-07-2012 21:55
New Red Tape for Caribbean Cruisers Hud3 Cruising News & Events 69 17-02-2010 18:24
The Ultimate in Red Tape! ssullivan Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 23 18-10-2009 02:04
Red tape for buying boat in USA Daisydog Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 7 19-06-2008 16:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.