Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 12:36   #1

Pop Up cycling continuously

The wonderful, most loved Cruisers Forum popup is misbehaving big time on my android tablet.

Closing the popup by tapping the X works but it pops right back up. Over and over. Only way to stop it is by refreshing the browser page.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:46   #2

Re: Pop Up cycling continuously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
The wonderful, most loved Cruisers Forum popup is misbehaving big time on my android tablet.

Closing the popup by tapping the X works but it pops right back up. Over and over. Only way to stop it is by refreshing the browser page.
This started with no change implemented by me to my browser. So, I assume C.F. has added a step or two related to the pop up stage that is causing this. Mind revealing what it is?
Old 16-07-2015, 12:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

It does the same thing with mine. I have to put my tablet into desktop mode to get rid of it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 18:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
It does the same thing with mine. I have to put my tablet into desktop mode to get rid of it.
Mines in desktop mode... Is always in desktop mode, but the problem is still there. C'mon guys & gals in Tech., you're not telling us what you've done to cause this. Another tracking methodology?
Old 16-07-2015, 18:08   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Similar problem here, but only three times before it let me log in AGAIN !
Yes I click the remember me box but it appears to be irrelevant. I doubt that it is a problem with my settings as even flea bay can remember me!
Not happy Jan.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:40   #6

The fact there has been no response by tech. to posters experiencing this problem does not instill a great deal of confidence by users who value their privacy on the internet.
Old 19-07-2015, 08:12   #7

Boat: Coast 34

What's going on with this "Cruiser's Daily" popup and how do I stop it? I can't even read a thread because it keeps popping up when I X out. If it helps to put my tablet in desktop mode, can someone tell me how to do that?

I've also noticed I can't access the portal anymore ithour signing in, but I've adapted to that.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:

I will pass this over to Tech Support in case they have not read this thread.

If you are seeing the pop up while logged in, then delete the pop up option in your User CP.

If you are seeing it while not logged in it is possibly either because you are clearing cookies constantly, or not accepting CF cookies.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I will pass this over to Tech Support in case they have not read this thread.

If you are seeing the pop up while logged in, then delete the pop up option in your User CP.

If you are seeing it while not logged in it is possibly either because you are clearing cookies constantly, or not accepting CF cookies.

SWL
Most significant fact. This started happening out of the blue without any changes at all to my browser extensions, which points to a change incorporated on this site. Nothing is affected by using the CP because the popup looks for cookies and apparently remains unaffected by changes made to the CP. Changing the CP should DISABLE THE POPUP ENTIRELY, or at least tell it to discontinue looking for cookies. We should have the option to delete cookies without having to suffer this kind of nuisance! Crazy.
Old 20-07-2015, 16:11   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

The user CP setting and the x to dismiss the newsletter modal both use cookies to retain those choices. If you purge all cookies at the end of your browsing session, they reappear. Have you tried changing your cookie handling preferences to "allow" CF cookies and this should solve the issue?

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 07:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The user CP setting and the x to dismiss the newsletter modal both use cookies to retain those choices. If you purge all cookies at the end of your browsing session, they reappear. Have you tried changing your cookie handling preferences to "allow" CF cookies and this should solve the issue?
The CP should permanently disable the popup, period.