Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 14:43   #16

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: pin hole in my inox diesel tank

I recently had the same issue with my BMW car. A new tank was going to cost $A5,000 so forget that! Every chemical product tried, though promising at first, did not work so I had to remove the tank then evacuate it by pumping exhaust gases from my other car into the tank. This made it safe to weld. Problem solved, however it left me with a distrust of the so called fuel tank repair kits. Caveat emptor.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:48   #17

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

As stated before, make an access to the tank, pump out all fuel, clean tank very well and apply with brushPPG PR-1440 fuel cell sealer. Permanent fix with least work. Done it before and still no leaks.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 13:00   #18

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubino View Post
Pin hole in the bottom side welding of my boat diesel inox tank.The leaking is about 100 grams /week.Very difficult job to remove the tank. The tank has not inspection port and it is impossible emptying the tank 100% out and clean the bottom.
It is impossible to reach the tank from above :it is located under the cockpit sole and the steering pedestal .Need suggestion to carry on at least for the summer.
Thank you
I don't know the material, or if you can access the area without removing the tank. I had a friend with a stainless diesel tank that was seeping from a weld. He was trying to get by until he hauled next and would just replace the tank. We emptied the tank, drilled a very small hole where the leak was and screwed in a very tiny SS screw coated in Marine Tex. It worked well. Good luck to you.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:33   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A stainless self-tapping screw with a small fuel-rated o-ring or similar is a good fix if you can't clean the area off. But if you can remove most of the fuel, and then careen the boat, that may put the leaky spot above the fuel level long enough to allow you to clean it off and then apply a good epoxy over it. If possible, the machine screw first and the epoxy over that, generously, as well.

Given that there may be more pinholing developing, there's some good reason to do whatever has to be done to get that tank physically out, now, to be inspected and repaired or replaced.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel