Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 16:12   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Owners of the Schenker Smart 60 water maker & installation tips

Hi, I just purchased a Schenker Smart 60 Water-maker 2nd hand 2017 vintage. I’m waiting for its arrival early next week. I want to be prepared for its installation.

The last flush I’m told by the owner he made a freshwater flush before removing it about a year ago since then it's been in storage. It has not had much use. This being the case my question is would a freshwater flush be sufficient to protect the membrane for the year it has been stored?

Also, how to tell if the bacteria has grown inside the membrane having had a freshwater flush? If so, how to treat it or do I need to replace the membrane?

I would be grateful if any owners of the Schenker Smart 60 water maker, can share their experiences with installation and management tips.

Finally, I wonder about the running noise is loud or not as advertised as I plan to install it in the main salon.

Kryg
Happy Navigation Experiences,
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 16:34   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Owners of the Schenker Smart 60 water maker & installation tips

The fresh flush is really supposed to be run every few days, so there’s a good chance your membranes are compromised.

We bought a used and non-functional modular 35, I stripped it down and rebuilt it. Then proceeded to remove every electronic control from it and install the individual components where I could for them.

The noisiest part is going to be the diaphragm pump, I installed ours in the cockpit locker on additional isolation feet. It’s roughly on par with the refrigerator sound, just a different noise. In the salon it’ll be louder, and if the pump is mounted on a cabinet that is connected to the salon it will amplify the sound.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 16:50   #3

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Hi, Sail Monkey,

I suspect your right this unit has two pumps.

Thank you for your reply.

Kryg
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:50   #4

Boat: Hylas 44

Hi kryg,
Most new users of Watermaker have lots of concerns about the condition of the membrane when they buy a used system.
Although, the membrane is an important component of the system, it is not so expensive to replace and it is much more resistant than it appears at first glance.
The best ways to destroy a membrane are to let it dry, to burn it with chemicals like chlorine, bleach, hydrocarbons (oils) and clogging it with silts.
Obviously, it is better to keep your membrane stored in sodium mata bisulfites solution or in glycol. The fact that the membrane has been stored in pure fresh water doesn’t mean the membrane is gone.
A good way to see the level of contamination is simply to remove it from the membrane housing and take a look at it. If it look like the following picture, obviously, it should be cleaned and chances are you need to replace it. Otherwise, try it and monitor the flow and the salinity level and if it is in accordance with the specs, don’t worry [emoji6].
I agree with Sailmonkey in regards with the noise, the diaphragm Pump is the noisy parts in this system, the other component, the booster ( hydraulic intensifier), is not really noisy and among the watermakers available on the market, Shenker and Spectra are, in my opinion, the quietest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3636.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	202051
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, water