Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2006, 06:29   #1

Send a message via AIM to MaineCub Send a message via Yahoo to MaineCub
New forum: Place for Newbies?

Greetings;

First of all, I love this forum.

But I as a newbie feel slightly uncomfortable posting a post on a forum that is so much 'above' where I am at in knowledge right now.

I would avise setting up a "Newbies Corner" where newbies can post questions regarding:

1. All the lingo
2. The parts of a boat and their functions
3. Learning skills
4. Training resources (books etc)

I know I would live on this forum if it were there.

Best,

--Dave
MaineCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 10:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No I have to greatly protest this Idea. Dave, don't ever put yourself down. You will have area's of expertese that I and others have no clue. If there is one thing I have learn't over the years, it's that everyone has things to offer, no matter what stage in their career they are at. Only a fool say's he know's it all and only an arrogant fool could say they have nothing to learn from someone of less experiance than they.

I hope none of us here would ever "look down our nose" at any comments made here by "newbies". I have much to learn from the discussions set up by questions ones like yourself may ask. Look at this another way, how can I ask a question, if I don't know there is a question to ask.
Simply put, I think everyone as an equal here and would love to hear more from supposedly "newbies".

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 11:03   #3

I second Alan's comments.

If you are a "newbie." The only true way to learn from this forum. Is simply by mingling with us here. And ask questions and participate on this forum.

That's the only "sure-fire" method of learning anything? Just remember back to your years in school. Did you ever ask questions in the classroom? Did ya felt odd cause you weren't sure that the question you were about to ask, is a stupid question?

The only way to find out if it's a stupid question is just to say what your question is going to be. That way you'll learn more by asking questions. Rather than just reading about them all the time here on this forum.

I have noticed everyday. If you look at the bottom of the screen on the main menu page of this forum. This forum on average has over 100 guests at any given time. Imagine all the possible contributions of questions & answers existing among those "guests?" This forum could really benefit from more people like yourself MaineCub. If ya just "introduce yourself. Let the forum get to know you. And then start participating into the various topics on this forum.

That's how I got my start (five) months ago. And I haven't stopped asking questions since then. Participating into discussions. And having fun with the other contributirs in here!! And on top of all that. I have made quite a few friends here, since I started on this forum. Just this past December. I just happened to have met in person. One of the main contributors on this here forum. And he is a fountain of knowledge. And he is a good friend of mine now. All because I stuck my neck out. And asked questions. And participated here on this forum.

If you want advice. Then if ya read everything I just worte here. Than ya have just gotten that advice from me, personelly!! And I hope that on top of what Alan had mentioned to you. I hope that I have insipired you, in some form here? I would love to hear your comments on this forum. And would love to ask you questions? That's what this here forum is here for.

This is where the TRUTH is? Have a nice day MaineCub!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 13:31   #4
cruiser

I also agree. Nobody in here will call you "dumb" or insult you in any way. I know that's rare in online forums, but this is a very different type.

I've asked plenty of basic questions, even after 20 years of sailing, and was offered ideas/help without anyone looking down on me.

Just post away. Many of us enjoy answering questions and would be happy to talk about anything and everything related to cruising and sailing.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 17:21   #5
Kai Nui

And, as a "Fountain of knowledge" (I think that is the first time anyone has ever called me that), I will say that you have usefull knowledge regardless of the subject. We recently had a thread on taxes. We have had threads on cooking, engines, carpentry, computers, even TV shows. If you know anything about anything, your contributions will be welcome and of benefit. Of course, if you do not know anything about anything, that means you have plenty of questions to ask. That is every bit as usefull as posting the answers. We welcome you to this great meeting of the minds
And, FWIW, I hate the term "newbie".It has been appearing lately quite a bit. Just an opinion
Old 28-02-2006, 17:30   #6

Your quite welcome Kai!!

Not only just for you. But to all the other wonderful contributors. Who have helped given me alot of insite on sailboats. Somtimes, you just cannot get this kind of knowledge from nautical books? Also a big thanks to GordMay!!

As of today I hit my 1,000th post as of today. If ya ask alot of questions. And of course joke around as well with the others here on the forum. And on occasion get into heated arguements, with the "Trolls." YOU TOO, can reach this number!!

Oh gee!!

If this is the boaters Academy Awards. I believe I just made a speech here?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 28-02-2006, 17:34   #7
Kai Nui

If you are going to give a speach, just make sure there are no wardrobe malfunctions. THere are some things I just do not want to see
Old 28-02-2006, 17:39   #8

Ha ha Hee hee!!

Old 01-03-2006, 02:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
On Knowledge & Experience

An engineer is a person who goes to school a long time, graduates knowing a great deal about very little - and over time, gains enough experience that (eventually) he knows everything about nothing.

An architect is a person who goes to school a long time, graduates knowing a little about a great many things - and over time, gains enough experience that (eventually) he knows nothing about everything.

A contractor is a person who drops out of school, and nonetheless starts out knowing a great deal about almost everything, but eventually (through his contact with architects and engineers), ends up knowing almost nothing about almost everything."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:02   #10

Gee Gord.

You just happen to mentioned almost half of the office (carpet people), that works up front. Of where I work at!!

Old 01-03-2006, 03:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A little more about ‘knowledgeable’ people.

A sailor took the witness stand in the trial. "Would you please tell the court," said the attorney, "if you recognize either the defendant or the plaintiff."

"Beg pardon, sir," said the sailor, "but I don't know what those terms mean."

The lawyer's eyes narrowed. "Shame on you! How can you come to testify at an important trial and not even know those basic terms?"

"Sorry, sir."

The lawyer said, "OK, where were you when the accused is said to have struck the victim?"

"Sir, I was abaft the binnacle," said the sailor.

"What?! Where?" demanded the lawyer.

"Shame on you! How can you try a case about a boat and not know those basic terms?" said the sailor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:20   #12

Shoulda put that one in the jokes thread, Gord. Nice one!!

Old 06-03-2006, 15:25   #13

Boat: Got none but want one.
Ah very good joke there got a good laugh outta it
I too am a newbie and find this site very helpful... ive read several dozen threads so far.... I dont like the idea of a newbs corner either... all the people here seem like friendly folk and I find the best way to learn is just to dive right in. When I was younger and used to ask my parents questions they would never tell me the answere. Instead they would tell me what kind of book would have the answere and send me off to find out myself. Its among the best advice ive ever been given and after a while its other people asking you the questions!
Cavecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02   #14

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Watering down the interest

I have moderated a forum related to model railroading for about 5 years now (but am withdrawing slowly). The format of the forum is much like this, many categories to chose from; too many in my opinion. And the most successful forum in model railroading (the Atlas forum) has four categories; that's it.

Most of us who are high users on forums - not the type that join, post three times, then leave never to be seen again - like to post, read, react, and learn. If you have a very few categories, everyone posts in only one or two categories. This makes the forum feel busier than a forum spreading out those very same threads.

Lets say this forum had only four categories 1) sail 2) power 3) electronics & mechanical and 4) administration. All the threads spread out would appear really in only two main categories - sail and power. This means when you open up the "sail forum", you would find a high level of activity. Introductions such as yours, questions about boat choice, equipment problems, recipes, job shopping, crew seekers, etc would all appear on one forum.

This busyness makes a forum feel exciting. Initially it makes sense to have many categories, however I know the forum I was most active in was not the forum I moderated. I like to go to a forum, see many new posts, new threads, new responses, and unfortunately the occasional spark. I don't like searching for new threads.

In the above forum I mentioned, "Atlas forum", there has been much pressure on them from participants to expand the categories. They didn't cave in and have one of the busiest forums around.

For example, I have a tendency to ignore the "Introductions" forum here, but if the same intro were included in the "sail" forum I would respond more; and I think others would respond more as well. Another problem is that some individuals will settle on one or two categories, in a forum with many categories, and only post threads and responses within their selected choices.

So adding another category - the "Newbie Cockpit" lets say, would water down the other categories even more.

Cheers
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:19   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Personaly, I like the number of topics. I don't have time to sit here and look through everything. So I brush past the ones that don't interest me and cach up with them when I have more time. There is nothing more "off putting" than wading chest deep through a load of posts you have no interest in.
To add another slant to this, the reason why this forum is working, when compared to a few others that aren't, is that it tends to be a Forum of knowledge, mixed with some general banter. Many other Forums become a place of general banter and mix in a little knowledge. I also think the "openness"of this layout aids the "newbies" to make a post. Because it isn't so "busy" feeling, theyare more likely to get involved.
Hey, that's just my opinion. I love this BB. It's my home page and the first place I check into every morning and when I get home at night.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote