Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2006, 00:50   #31

Boat: Looking for a new boat
damn you are crafty with words. The whole thing about newbies forum being cruisers forum...I can't compete . It does seem though that most newbies do start out dingy sailing/racing. I don't know. If someone wants to take a poll feel free. I hope to graduate from dingy's sooner rather that later so it is really not too important to me.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 04:31   #32

It is funny, being a blow boater I rarely thing of stink pots as cruisers... but many are. So this is not strictly a sailor's forum, although sailing "options" seem pull more sail boaters to the cruising them than anything else... maybe even more than club racing. And indeed for many cruising is the last step in a progression which may have started with small sail boats for racing. I suppose motored cruisers have have an analogous path.. but I don't see the discussion of "run-abouts" and so forth as relevant to this board and so why would dinghy sailing be? Or am I being irrational again?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 10:16   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah we made a "playpen" for you stink potters so as it kept you away from us more grown up kids. ;-)
oooowww, that was low ;-) :-)

Please please take that as a leg pull, not seriouse.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 10:53   #34

Boat: Looking for a new boat
you answer your own question here

"but I don't see the discussion of "run-abouts" and so forth as relevant to this board and so why would dinghy sailing be?"

"And indeed for many cruising is the last step in a progression which may have started with small sail boats for racing."

Some of the people on this board are still sailing dinghys in an attempt to move up to cruising.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 13:06   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The general idea is we started with a small set of sub forums and we can add as many as we like. We want each section to have regular activity so we group things so that can happen under the current structure.

I think it's fair to say we won't be starting any empty forum sections soon unless new traffic patterns warrants them. So if for example a dinghy group emerges with a membership that participates regularly then the steps will happen to make them a new section.

To a great extent we took the approach that size of vessel does not matter and the topics are generic to all. We made exceptions for special mono hull and multi hull discussions because they are sometimes very different though not that much. Many of the topics apply to power boats too just as much as sail.

Quote:
Some of the people on this board are still sailing dinghy's in an attempt to move up to cruising.
Some dinghy sailors are still sailing the boats they prefer. People don't always "move up". I also cruise with folks that only two years ago only raced. They raced for 20 years and actually are very new to the whole concept. I also know people that sail dinghy but cruise power. Also people that cruised both. There isn't one pigeon hole that fits all boaters but many if not most of the topics can be shared.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 13:07   #36
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
And some of us sail dinghys just because we like to. As a liveaboard, I don't always feel like securing the boat to get under way - can take up to an hour .. then there is the hour or two putting the boat back together for live aboard. So... I have a nice little sailing dinghy that I can row, motor (really ought to fix the damn outboard), or sail. I started with dinghys and whilst I've moved UP to bigger, it does not exclude the smaller.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote