Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 04:35   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belgrade,Serbia
Boat: Jeanneau gin fiz,38ft
Posts: 8
MMSI number for international cruising

Hi all,
I have question.
My boat is US registered on LLC Delaware. I am foreign national and I am cruising internationally. My present position is Johor Bahru Malaysia.
In order to purchase AIS transponder I ned to obtain MMSI number for international cruising (from FFC) I have FRN number.Please can anybody help how I can do it online (FCC site is very complicated and I spend several hours browsing but I could not find how to do it).
Thanks in advance
basjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 05:04   #2
Registered User
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 2,005
Re: MMSI number for international cruising

Your MMSI will be issued by the country your vessel is registered in.

US boat owners operating in US waters only can obtain an MMSI from BoatUS. Very convenient but not applicable to you.

leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 05:16   #3
Senior Cruiser
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,817
Re: MMSI number for international cruising

Hi Nesh,

It can be a bit confusing but I managed to do it twice (once for me, once for a relative). I think I can remember the details.

First go to this link for the basic instructions.

Log in to ULS Online Filing with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password.
On the left-side of the screen, click Apply for a New License.
From the drop down box, select the Radio Service for the new license.
Click Continue to navigate through the application.
Sign your application and click Submit Application.

The instructions will take you to this page where you start the actual registration process. At this page you log in with your FRN and password

At this point my memory gets a bit fuzzy but as well as I recall the process there are two main step.

1. Apply for your personal license. This will mainly require your name and similar details.

2. Apply for the ships license which will include the MMSI. This step requires answering several questions, some of them not clear. The main thing is you are applying for "Ship Recreational or Voluntarily Equipped (SA)" license. When you get to the section for what services, SSB, radar, etc just apply for them all. Doesn't cost extra or add any extra liabilities.

Hope this helps.
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMSI Number & Change in Boat Ownership SoonerSailor Marine Electronics 17 05-08-2017 23:41
Raymarine AIS650 - Change MMSI number... AFKASAP Marine Electronics 12 05-06-2016 01:25
MMSI International Number NatchezFirst Marine Electronics 7 12-01-2016 17:59
Registering new owner for MMSI number ii337 Marine Electronics 4 11-02-2014 09:33
MMSI Number for AIS with Future Foreign Travels ? SvenG Marine Electronics 7 14-01-2010 07:08

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.