Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2005, 19:29   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mayday - Help Me ...

Would anyone be willing to accept occasional Faxed diagrams from me, and (do whatever magic is required to) post them to the forum for all to review?

There are times when I could be more informative, if I could post diagrams. Unfortunately, I don’t have a scanner nor pdf (gif, or other) manner of posting such (nor the skills).

Some of you may have noticed that I’ll never use five words, when it can be stretched out to fifty-five. I have a great deal of difficulty in stating ideas, especially more complex concepts , in a clear & understandable (concise) fashion. I have equal difficulty in following written descriptions of technical subjects like wiring connections.

Regards,
Gord May

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 20:10   #2
cruiser

I could help out...

Gord,

I'd be happy to help. Only one question though... is there still going to be a 1K limit to any attachments on the board? This limitation is quite small to be able to take a full page fax and display it with any accuracy.

Thanks,

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 00:25   #3

You need to post them in the photo section of the forum and use the IMG button to insert them into the post.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 05:23   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Gord

Do you have a digital camera with the close up feature?
Using a tripod and the natural daylight, it works real nice. I do a lot of copying of documents that way. A scanner uses up too many bits.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 11:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for the comeback(s) Sean, exposure, & delmarrey.
FYI
~ I’m a computer-illiterate dummy. I can barely use Word Perfect.
~ My (company’s) digital camera doesn’t take an adequate close-up photo, and I wouldn’t know what to do with it if it did. I have no software for it (a draftsman copies photos to file for me).
~ I’m not a “real” Forum administrator - just a sort of “hall monitor”, in Gisle’s temporary absence.

I apologize for requesting “help for the helpless” - but, here I am.

Any simple guidance or assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 13:32   #6

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
HANDLING DIAGRAMS

Good morning Gord.
Anything I can do just send the file to me but preferrably in an e-mail or by SKYPE.
A faxed diagram has a very poor resolution which can not later be improved.

Another thing. I have requested from the moderator whether it would be possible to set up a special section on the forum for Cruising Trawlers & Motor Yachts. As we even have a section for Flying Boats it should not be so impossible?
sinbad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 12:13   #7

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
hooray for sinbad7!!!

I think a thread devoted to trawlers and motor yachts would be great. I like all you sailor types just fine but we aren't always in the same camp. ( Except when the wind isn't blowing )

Greg 48' Jefferson CPMY
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 16:46   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
as has already been stated, the faxed picture will be of poor quality (improved if fax is set to send grey levels rather than just black and white)

digital camera is the easy way to take a picture and then have an image available for the computer.

One of my ISPs allows me a special fax service that allocates a specific phone number for you to send a fax to me, and that is then turned into an image and emailed to me. However I would think that an international call would be a tad expensive for you just for this service -- if not, let me know and I will send you my phone number!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:48   #9
Captain

Agree with you Gord – a drawing/picture is so much easier to “read”.
Aw shucks, you’re not the only one who doesn’t get along with computers! Makes people waste too much office time. Sue Bill Gates!
My experience from working with these contraptions is like already stated, the fax distorts anything. Scanning to .pdf distorts it even more. Scanning to .jpg is preferable. Why, lesser quality is better than nothing, if only it’s readable.
Let’s give it a try: I have access to fax/scanner at work. Then I can upload to the photo gallery and make you a simple checklist for adding them to your posts. We’ll find some way anyhow. Will PM my number.

sinbad7 and Greg B:
The section for Flying Boats was a gift from webmaster (former wannabe seaplane pilot) to this moderator. I had hoped that sailors would be curious and drop by, but not many did. Mostly a few sailor pilots. If it’s gonna draw adverse type attention, may as well remove it.

Webmaster is very busy and has left monitoring of the site to Gord & me. We don’t have access to set up new sections. Will relay your request to Gisle when I take him for a seaplane ride after the summer holidays – planning to dock outside his office and kidnap him…