Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 06:35   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Just an Idea . . .

It would be nice if some forums could have a sub forum of "Good" threads.

But rather than move any Threads nor copy them, would it be technically possible to simply index them into the new sub forum?

How to define a "good" thread is another question (by nomination? / popular acclaim - by Mods?). and in my mind these do not have to be definative, nor even full of massively useful hard info - but overall informative, on the questions raised if not the answers.

Initially I am thinking in the "Meets and Greets" section having a new sub forum called something like "New Dreams / New Boaters / New Cruisers", some of the Newbie threads are quite informative (and they don't all get posted into Meets & Greets) and IMO would be very useful for (other) new Members to read - or at least be referred to . Appreciate that they can "do a search" or click on related threads, but IMO not quite the same as a bit of human input on Thread selections being grouped together.

Thoughts?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It is possible to rate a thread but I don't know if anyone actually does.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:23   #3
cruiser

popular threads??? most viewed?
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
why ?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Excellent or extremely informative posts or threads could get "stickied" meaning they are there permanently at the beginning of a topic area. That is an ability of the VBulletin software that is used for CruisersForum.

I'm with Gord, I'm not sure why. Would someone like to elaborate?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:57   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
why ?
I agree.

The attraction of conversation is to exchange ideas/opinions in a non-judgemental atmosphere.

This forum contains viewpoints from an enormous cross-section of individual experiences.

Lets not change it as we have a great thing going here.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:09   #7

I would like to see a best of feature as well.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:21   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
why ?
You ask me Why? I asked Why Not?

I just thought it would make a useful sub-forum (mainly for Newbies, but not exclusively), but rather than creating threads specifically for this new sub-forum could instead "share" existing threads (as and when they pop up elsewhere on the Forum and are deemed "good" - which is really only polite for might be at least half worth reading in the future, not every thread meets that criteria - just like this one ). Kinda like making a book index (and book) from the chapters held within a library of other books - with Digital Data don't need to make copies of each chapter to create a new book.

Just to clarify, I don't see the point of a creating a new Sub-forum (a ghetto?) for this subject (new Dreams / Barmy plans etc) - really just a way of creating an additional point of access to info already held (and am not after to do so too carefully - to save effort ).

Really depends on the board software (as well as anyone seeing any merit in the idea ).
Old 25-01-2011, 09:22   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
My biggest concern would be putting additional demands on the staff. We've gotten so big at this point that it's all the moderators can do some days to delete all the spam. Has anyone noticed how we keep having to add moderators? That's just to keep our head above water at the current workload.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:23   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Thread rating feature

I would suggest those who would like that feature begin rating threads. This function is there for just that reason.

From the FAQ:

You may find a small menu on thread pages which allows you to 'rate this thread' with a number between 1-5.
Casting a vote for threads you view is entirely optional, but if you think that the thread is superb, you might rate it as a 5-star thread, or if you think that it's unspeakably dismal, you might choose to rate the thread with a single star.
Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you may see a set of stars appear with the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and can allow you to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy forum with a lot of threads.

Alternatively you could go on hoping someone will do it for you?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:30   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I agree.

The attraction of conversation is to exchange ideas/opinions in a non-judgemental atmosphere.

This forum contains viewpoints from an enormous cross-section of individual experiences.

Lets not change it as we have a great thing going here.
Am with you on not wanting to throw out the conversation / exchange of ideas / opinions in a non-judgemental (? ) atmosphere..........my idea is simply that those threads that are overall (at least half ) worthwhile for a future read also get indexed into the new sub-forum (but also stay exactly where they started).

The contents of the threads themselves can remain untouched (warts and all ) and as not locked can continue to grow...........am not after to create a sub-forum of only threads that have reached someone's (impossibly?) high standards - just in effect weeding out (but only within the new sub-forum) the threads that never went anywhere. Not seeking perfection on that, just that most threads having a good chance of being worth a read in 6 months+...........unlike this one
Old 25-01-2011, 09:31   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
bu8t--WHAT IFF
ye be rating poor a thread that is of very intense educational value but mixed with comic relief.....
would that be a good thread , a poor thread or a bad one-- and who is this judge-- can doj's goat be elected to chew thru this?????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:31   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Has anyone noticed how we keep having to add moderators?
No
Old 25-01-2011, 09:46   #14

Other sites I frequent use the Stickies method and are v-bulletin as well. The stickies at at the top of the topic area, as already stated. They generally feature threads that are of use to almost everyone and serve as a reference guide. They also serve as an FAQ, so some of the same questions don't get asked over and over.

I'm sure some folks will say you could just do a search before you ask a question if you are concerned about asking something that has been beaten to death, but searches, at least in my experience, are cumbersome and time consuming.

I have found stickies on other sites very useful, particularly if you are new to the site or a beginner. It doesn't change anything except it keeps highly informative threads up top as opposed to buried in the archives.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:48   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I would suggest those who would like that feature begin rating threads. This function is there for just that reason.
I know about that. Not quite what I was suggesting. that relies on weight of numbers for accuracy.

"My" answer is dependent on Software allowing a thread to appear in 2 places at the same time (without copying) just like a shortcut to a Word Document in Windows.

That and anyone being able to see the benefit (a problem us visionaries always have - you should see the problems I am having getting the concept of my Pyramid accross to folk (bigger than the Phaeroh's and to last longer .........and to make a profit ).

Fair enuf the Mods too busy (yer own fuggin fault that one ) - but (software permitting of course) no reason not to have Editor Mods whose only capacity and task is to index useful threads into the new Sub-Forum (limited tools and limited role = limited capacity to fug up ).

But anyway, have already spent too much time on this idea.........back to my Pyramid