Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 12:24   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
I wonder if this is maybe something better dealt with in the Wiki.

Anyone can start a section in the Wiki for, say, radar discussions, and then link to any and all threads they think relevant. Then others can add or edit.

Just a thought.

As a programmer, I can't imagine coming up with an automated rating, categorizing feature that would work very well.

-dan
__________________

dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 14:39   #17
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Relax... you won't get fired.

DOJ... I sense a bit of insecurity on your part here. Do you work for a government or large corporation in your other life?
Oldest survival trick in the book... think of something creative and irrelevant, get a kernel of interest then form a committee to discuss it, then a sub committee to research it and report back, then a small trial. As long as it doesn't rock the main boat and isn't labelled R & D, where there is a requirement to report back, you can keep a shroud of mystery over it. Nobody will ever fire you because nobody understands it. Kinda like a ponzi scheme without money... or a pyramid!

Stick to the funny stuff. It's what you're good at... and crackpot ideas
__________________

__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 14:46   #18
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
DOJ... I sense a bit of insecurity on your part here. Do you work for a government or large corporation in your other life?
Oldest survival trick in the book... think of something creative and irrelevant, get a kernel of interest then form a committee to discuss it, then a sub committee to research it and report back, then a small trial. As long as it doesn't rock the main boat and isn't labelled R & D, where there is a requirement to report back, you can keep a shroud of mystery over it. Nobody will ever fire you because nobody understands it. Kinda like a ponzi scheme without money... or a pyramid!

Stick to the funny stuff. It's what you're good at... and crackpot ideas
I was just running an idea up the flag pole - to see if anyone saluted it

Apparently you are all luddites
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 15:04   #19
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I was just running an idea up the flag pole - to see if anyone saluted it

Apparently you are all luddites
Luddites? Are those people who require bribes before they will pretend to go along with an idea? If so ... absolutely!
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 15:37   #20
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate

The 'Goats' bored and wants something to do.....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 15:59   #21
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The 'Goats' bored and wants something to do.....
a bloke does one thing with a goat - will I never get to hear the end of it??
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 17:07   #22
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
a bloke does one thing with a goat - will I never get to hear the end of it??

That's what the Kiwi blokes say about their sheep!
Don't knock the goat,DOJ, he's the one who thinks this is a good idea
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:13   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bundaberg, Australia
Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
I would like to see a best of feature as well.
And at christmas we could release a CD of classic threads with some family favourites such as should we all have guns, you know your a liveaboard if... and why wont my damn anchor hold.

All proceeded could be donated to a struggling cruiser near you.

Damien
__________________
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:27   #24
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
All proceeded could be donated to a struggling cruiser near you.

Damien
"SH#T.... there ain't no one 'Near Me'..... wrong place... AGAIN.....sigh
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:43   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Posts: 461
Images: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I wonder if this is maybe something better dealt with in the Wiki.

Anyone can start a section in the Wiki for, say, radar discussions, and then link to any and all threads they think relevant. Then others can add or edit.

Just a thought.

As a programmer, I can't imagine coming up with an automated rating, categorizing feature that would work very well.

-dan
Hey Mr programmer which radio station are you on?
__________________

__________________
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What About This Idea? Canibul Boat Ownership & Making a Living 50 15-08-2009 11:41
Here's an idea Little Otter Engines and Propulsion Systems 14 10-07-2008 13:09
Just an idea........ David_Old_Jersey Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 22-04-2008 12:51
Just an Idea seafox Other 13 24-06-2007 15:41



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.