Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 14:42   #16

Re: Is there no end to the ad madness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Ads are now a part of life. The only way to avoid them is to live in a cave without outside contact. Even the halftime show at of the football game is now the "Verizon half time show".

Try your best to ignore them.

I use adblock plus. I don't see ads, anywhere. On TV, I use a DVR, so I jump past all of the commercials or watch it on Netflix, no commercials.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 14:55   #17

I seldom get ad's now.... and never get pop ups or video. I have free Avast security if that means anything....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:39   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Happy you're going about this all wrong. You need to use this to your advantage. Since most of the ads are targeted, be sure to visit some entertaining web sites and then the ads that come up will be much more pleasurable.

On the other side of that if you are bored, go onto a friends computer and be sure to look up embarrasing grotesque sites that their mother would be ashamed of. Then sit back and watch why they can't figure out why all of the ads coming up might get them arrested in some countries
otr... I think you're right man... I need to visit some more whiskey, gun, and pr0n sites!

On your second note... I used to do something pretty funny to my uptight friend... A hardcore and fairly vocal GOP man.... I would sign him up to receive democratic party literature and gay apparel catalogs in the mail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
This may be true for most sites, but I am a member of a very good motorcycle site that has no adds, or membership fees.

Supported by voluntary contributions.

Oh man... There is definitely worse stuff going on... I was on truck website trying to post a tech question.. and the ad was COMPLETELY blocking the "SUBMIT" button... Had to reduce zoom to like 6 font to move the ad enough to press the button...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Perhaps turn this around and describe what kind of ads are acceptable to you? "No ads" of course is not a realistic answer. It takes time and money to run a website.
David... "auto start" video ads with sound are the only ones that are completely annoying...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17   #19
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
"No ads" of course is not a realistic answer. It takes time and money to run a website.
It doesn't cost much to start up and run a v-bulletin site. I've checked. Sean Sullivan started cruising.stuffimiinto.com and ran it for quite a few years. He ran it out of his own pocket with absolutely no ads. Was great while it lasted.

The ads are annoying, especially now that there is one smack dab in the middle of the page. Can't you guys just put them at the top, bottom, or on the sides of the page?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote