Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 13:14   #1
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Image sizes: Blown away to Scroll City?

I've been using the forum default and selecting what sounds like it should be forcing images to downsize as needed, but every time someone posts a high resolution photo (heck, even a phone can be a huge image) it blows away my browser screen and the entire thread page goes to Scroll City and I find I can't follow a damn thing without scrolling back and forth for every line of every message.

And yes, I've tried different browsers. No joy.

So, what part of the control panel instructions isn't quite clear to me? Or is the forum software broken on that?

From the settings:
================
This forum automatically resizes images which are too large. Please choose here how you would like to view the enlarged images. (Set to default)
Images In Posts:
Images wider than this width will be resized. Enter 0 to allow all widths, or leave the field empty to use the default value of 520.

(0)
=============

They ain't resizing. What's the magic?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 15:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Image sizes: Blown away to Scroll City?

Have you set a value for both width and height?

I've got mine set to 300 width and 300 height and it works fine.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:02   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

My setting is set to Default (enlarge in same window). It displays fine for me in both Safari and Firefox. I’m using a MacBook Pro.
Old 14-03-2019, 16:28   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunno about the Mac, Mike. They were 3x the price of Wintel back when both GUIs started, and since I could (and did) outperform the early Macs for 1/3 the price...I was on Wintel. Rebuying all my software, or Mac versions, when they price difference finally got smaller just made no sense to me. Still doesn't.

Stu-
As I posted, I was set to 480 vertical (which is old VGA resolution and well within the resolution of any modern page) and as the forum instructions state, I left the other default blank, so the forum is supposed to be setting it to zero.
Old 14-03-2019, 16:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno about the Mac, Mike. They were 3x the price of Wintel back when both GUIs started, and since I could (and did) outperform the early Macs for 1/3 the price...I was on Wintel. Rebuying all my software, or Mac versions, when they price difference finally got smaller just made no sense to me. Still doesn't.

Stu-
As I posted, I was set to 480 vertical (which is old VGA resolution and well within the resolution of any modern page) and as the forum instructions state, I left the other default blank, so the forum is supposed to be setting it to zero.

I think you mean 480 horizontal

But what does "zero" do. It certainly shouldn't re-size to zero pixels high
I would assume that zero means no resizing which would give what you are seeing. Try setting a reasonable value there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:43   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno about the Mac, Mike. They were 3x the price of Wintel back when both GUIs started, and since I could (and did) outperform the early Macs for 1/3 the price...I was on Wintel. Rebuying all my software, or Mac versions, when they price difference finally got smaller just made no sense to me. Still doesn’t. ...
OK… I was just providing additional info to try and help troubleshoot the problem. No intent to try and sell you on Macs.
Old 14-03-2019, 17:29   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, Stu, you haven't actually READ those options lately, have you? Quoting from the page:
"Images taller than this height will be resized. Enter 0 to allow all heights, or leave the field empty to use the default value of 0."

IOW, by leaving the default set to zero, any image with any height larger than zero (which means all images) will be resized. And what I want is for every image to be resized from whatever the pixel count it, to whatever fits in the browser's normal page. "Zero" should be correct here, according to the instructions.

And no, I meant 480 vertical, as writ. VGA resolution is 480 rows tall and 640 columns wide. So any image on a standard web page, which is less than 640x480, can easily be displayed and mapped onto an XGA, WXGA, SVGA, or other high-res screen. Depending on what version of HTML is or isn't being used, and how the page is being coded.

The problem may be in the 2002-ish version of vbulletin using an obsoleted page description. In which case, other Wintel users will be having the same problem. Or, it could be the instructions aren't clear enough for me. As LaoTsu once remarked, there are no bad students, only poor teachers (instructions).

Tags
size