Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 06:41   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Phlishing or ?? emails coming in.

Here is an email I got purportedly from CF Forum. I think it is a bogus email fishing for information or spreading worms and virus: Be warned if you see anything like this.
>>>>>>>>
[CF #UHU-560931]: Re: New Private Message at Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:17 AM

"CruisersForum.com Support" <support@cruisersforum.com>
Add sender to Contacts

To: [moderator edit]

Your ticket has been received, one of the staff members will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this ticket, Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.

Ticket ID: UHU-560931
Subject: Re: New Private Message at Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Department: CruisersForum.com
Priority: Medium

You can check the status or reply to this ticket online at: http://www.socialknowledge.com/support/
Email: moderator edit
Password: moderator edit

Please do let us know if we can assist you any further,

Social Knowledge, LLC <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have trashed/deleted the email . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 07:28   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Since the "add sender" link goes to a Yahoo! account, the odds are it is phishing. If I may suggest, if you can pull up the entire email in plain text form (including the header information) and send it to Yahoo!, they will terminate the users account(s) there.

Unless "sender" refers to your own account there?

Either way, you've now published your Yahoo! account name here, in a public forum. It will indeed be spammed to death unless a moderator kindly censors that out for you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 07:30   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
This is a legit e-mail. You received it because you responded to an e-mail notification of from the forum that you had received a PM.

Those notifications are automated and when you respond to them (by hitting the reply button) your response goe to our helpdesk. The help desk is for tech support issues like account changes. When we receive a message at the help desk we issue (again automated) a reference number (ticket number) to help us track your issue. This number is sort of like taking a customer service number at the bakery or licensing office.

You can ignore all this - but the mail is not malicious, nor spam. Social Knowledge Networks is the parent company of this forum.

I removed your e-mail address from the post you made. When you post your e-mail address online, you open yourself to all kinds of spam.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 14:23   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Thank you JanetH - With all the unusual names in it and the strange wording it sure looked suspicious. I do not remember hitting any button that would have triggered this which does not mean that I did not actually hit a button - just don't remember doing it. I have replied to other PM and never has this pop up. I guess my mouse is faster than me.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote