Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 11:03   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Forum Suggestion: Parts Cross-Reference

Hey, I've got an idea that might save folks a TON of money.

In my recent dealings with Yanmar Marine and their archaic distribution/dealer system, I've found out that I can source parts for my engine and generator from other than Yanmar (I know, I'm slow). HOWEVER, there isn't a TON of info out there about it. Most of it either sits in people's brains, in maintenance notebooks, or buried out on the web. I now know I have 2 other choices for impellers for my 4JH-DTBE other than Yanmar. (What I'd really like to know is who makes them for Yanmar - Jabsco?). Also, Yanmar makes tractor engines - and it's possible that a tractor supply place could be an alternative, but they carry completely different part numbers.

Any chance we could set up a subforum, and then a single thread for each engine type, or something along those lines?

Just a thought...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 11:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
johnson\evinrude.....touhatsu\mariner......volvo\b osch ...search and ye shall find.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 11:27   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I think he's looking more for something like the points for an A-4 are the same as those for a 1947 studebaker, the impeller for a phasor p3-28 is really an oberdorfer 202M, etc........
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 11:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Kind of like this:

Yanmar 4JH-DTBE - 75hp

Impeller - Original: 129470-42532 ; Jabsco: 12100001
Oil Filter - Original: 129150-35152 ; Fram: XXXXXXXX
Alternator Belt - Original: XXXXXXX ; Autozone: XXXXXX
Fuel Injector - Original: XXXXXXX ; Yanmar Tractor PN: XXXXXXXX
Starter Motor - Original: XXXXXXX ; Bosch (or whatever): XXXXXXXXX
Old 27-01-2011, 13:40   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
good idea but massive indexing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Kind of like this:

Yanmar 4JH-DTBE - 75hp

Impeller - Original: 129470-42532 ; Jabsco: 12100001
Oil Filter - Original: 129150-35152 ; Fram: XXXXXXXX
Alternator Belt - Original: XXXXXXX ; Autozone: XXXXXX
Fuel Injector - Original: XXXXXXX ; Yanmar Tractor PN: XXXXXXXX
Starter Motor - Original: XXXXXXX ; Bosch (or whatever): XXXXXXXXX

good idea but massive indexing,and expensive if you get it wrong.

this is how volvo etc make their money,but if you have time on your hands can save loads of money.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 14:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Any chance we could set up a subforum, and then a single thread for each engine type, or something along those lines?
The whole after market of cross referenced parts list is a lot more than a subforum. There are entire companies devoted to just that compendium. If it were comprehensive the size alone would make it impossible to use here at CF. For basic consumable parts any parts store should be able to handle it. Unless its updated almost daily it loses it's ability to be helpful.

Consider that there are at least 3 categories. You have genuine parts, 3rd party manufactured and rebuilt. The parts business is exceptionally complicated and requires the devotion of a lot of people that get paid to do it. Some of this information is only available by subscription.

Short answer is I doubt this is going to happen here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 15:28   #7

your willingness to not support your local dealer prohibits me from furthering this request.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 16:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
your willingness to not support your local dealer prohibits me from furthering this request.
What local dealer? I have none.
Old 27-01-2011, 16:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
What local dealer? I have none.
Brownsville, Galveston or 2 dealers in Austin. Our second closest dealer is 250 miles away :shrug:
USPS, FEDEX, and UPS run 5-6 days a week.
Old 27-01-2011, 17:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Brownsville: 300 miles
Galveston: 240 miles
Austin: 90 miles (but traffic kills you thru downtown Austin)

USPS/FEDEX/UPS: Yup, that's my preference. I ordered this Monday from the "local" distributor (also a dealer). They didn't have all the parts in stock (and because I had to phone it in, I got NO notice that they weren't in stock - until I asked today), so they had to order from Yanmar. I won't get them in time for the weekend. I'm sorry, but this just isn't working for me.

If there's a Yanmar dealer that WANTS my business, and can ship reasonably quickly, and has decent stock levels, I'll buy. No, you don't have to be the cheapest -but don't rip me off either, like the OP in this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-53754.html
Old 27-01-2011, 17:17   #11

Boat: Cape Dory
This is being done on many owners groups and brand specific forums. I know the Catalina and Cape Dory owner's groups each have information cross referencing universal marine engine parts and the equivilent parts sold for kubota tractor engines. It is definitely a worthy undertaking (for instance a glow plug for a Universal Marine engine might cost $75 whereas the exact same item is marketed for tractors at $8). But I agree with the mods, it is probably best to keep these efforts within the individual owners groups where the interest in accuracy is very high. It would be too easy for errors to creep in on a forum this large -- and as soon as the info is corrupted, it is all worthless. Definitely do some searching for alternate parts before buying -- the savings, as the OP says, can be huge.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 17:20   #12

ya know, I'm not trying to be a jerk here.

If you haven't noticed. Theres a recession ongoing. Boat money is recreational money. And the boating industry as a whole has been down 60-80% for a few years. Most of us have thinned our on hand stock to bare minimums.
I'm wondering why you didn't ask if the parts were in stock when you called in the order. And why you didn't convey you were on a strict timeline to the dealer rep? There is overnight shipping and drop shipping available for additional fees. I know I and most dealers would offer suggestions or alternatives...etc If the time line can't be meet.
Old 27-01-2011, 17:52   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
I have just learned that WIX have a decent cross-reference for most filters. Worth checking out if trying to dodge the 'use genuine parts only'.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 19:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ya know, I'm not trying to be a jerk here.

If you haven't noticed. Theres a recession ongoing. Boat money is recreational money. And the boating industry as a whole has been down 60-80% for a few years. Most of us have thinned our on hand stock to bare minimums.
I'm wondering why you didn't ask if the parts were in stock when you called in the order. And why you didn't convey you were on a strict timeline to the dealer rep? There is overnight shipping and drop shipping available for additional fees. I know I and most dealers would offer suggestions or alternatives...etc If the time line can't be meet.
Hey, no problem. I'm probably coming off as a total jerk, so what the heck. Join the club!

Even when all else isn't equal, I'd prefer to support local folks. I'll pay a nominal premium for it. But, I'm not traveling 2 hours round trip to do it.

In this case, I was TOLD who I had to order from, from Yanmar. They are a freakin' Yanmar distributor - they have the entire gulf coast from the Mexico border, to the Florida border. They didn't have impeller gaskets in stock. In fact, they sent me (and charged me for) TEN, since they surmised that that was a cheaper option than me paying 2 freight bills (yeah, when they don't have stock, they expect me to pay freight from Yanmar AND freight from them...). They have my phone number and email address. And honestly, you would EXPECT that a DISTRIBUTOR would have impellers and impeller gaskets in stock...

So, yeah, I've got a bee under my bonnet about Yanmar right now. BTW, they knew I wanted it for the weekend. It will arrive on UPS about 5pm on Friday - we leave at noon on Fridays. Good thing, I don't NEED it. It's time for the yearly impeller changes on my diesel and generator.

Between this thread and my emails to them, I'm thinking I need a shipping forwarding address in another country in order to get parts in the future... But really, they (Yanmar and their distributor) have handled this VERY poorly. All it would have taken is a phone call. But, DIYers are at the bottom of Yanmar's list.
Old 28-01-2011, 05:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Most of us have thinned our on hand stock to bare minimums.
... There is overnight shipping and drop shipping available for additional fees. I know I and most dealers would offer suggestions or alternatives...etc If the time line can't be meet.
When I managed a wholesale distribution branch (WESCO-Westinghouse), I couldn’t inventory anything that didn’t turn 3 times per year (minimum). It wasn’t profitable at 3 turns, but could be stocked as a value-added service.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross-reference