Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 21:36   #1

Forum Fundamentalism

Hi

I read with surprise the recent exchange "Looking for like minded sailors'. in the Multihull section between Factor and the moderator Andy R. and the subsequent closure of the discussion thread.

A couple of points to note:
These Forums are elective; members join freely.
Many (most) members are also members of other forums, including the one mentioned.
Exchange of information is generally encouraged between forums.

While I understand the need for a forum mediator to step in when needed (we've all seen other discussion groups degenerate into conversational anarchy, hijacked by opinionated thugs), I would caution against the frequent use of the 'big stick'.....probably better to speak softly!

Please read the exchange and decide for yourselves.

Regards

Joe
Seismic Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 22:06   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Decided.
Looks to me the site moderator applied this sites rules 100%.
Well done Mr Moderator.
JOHN
Old 04-06-2008, 22:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Please read the rules and then decide for yourself. Joe, this here place is not a Public Forum. Cruisers Forum is owned By Andy R. You and all other members are invited guests. The rules are to ensure that all here have a good time. I think we do a very good job at being fair. Members don't always understand the the decisions made because sometimes there are things going on in the background and a history is building up. Often the "big stick" is waved well after many other discussions in the background have been tried and failed. We do the best job we can at being fair and slow to anger. The only time you will ever see any of the Mods use due haste and anger is when hunting down a spammer.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hooray for the moderators! Long live the moderators!

(can I have another cookie now?)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:03   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
(can I have another cookie now?)
Sure! Here, have a bunch on us!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There is one thing that would be great to do, but impossible due to our size, but to make a member an honorary moderator for a day. Then they can see what really goes on in the background. It always puts a smile on us longer serving mods faces when a new guy comes in and say's, WOW!!! Is that what you guy's have to do and put up with.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 13:43   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Alan, you've just typed a biased post against multihullers

We're not all that bad...honest

I'll give my cookies back now (sigh)
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 13:51   #8

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
You know the Moderator's Motto?:

"No good deed goes unpunished................"
(THANKS for the time, thought, and work you put into this volunteer effort)
Terri
Old 05-06-2008, 14:17   #9
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seismic Joe View Post
A couple of points to note:
These Forums are elective; members join freely.
Agreed
Quote:
Many (most) members are also members of other forums, including the one mentioned.
Agreed
Quote:
Exchange of information is generally encouraged between forums.
Agreed
Quote:
While I understand the need for a forum mediator to step in when needed (we've all seen other discussion groups degenerate into conversational anarchy, hijacked by opinionated thugs), I would caution against the frequent use of the 'big stick'.....probably better to speak softly!
Thanks for the advice. As I posted when the thread was returned to the public area, the link was removed because of our community policies. Here is the policy that was in violation.
Quote:
Participants may not post to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest
As you can see from the following quote by the thread starter he was in agreement that the site was indeed hosted on a commercial website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
Thanks for that - I read the rules before posting the link, I am a member of a board in the UK which is incredibly strict and I respect that guys rules and wanted to do the same here. I read them carefully, the multihull forum is NOT a commercial enterprise (its hosted on a commercial domain as the guy who is putting it together is using his own business to support it - you did well to find the link to his business.
I am not trying to discourage competition but I want to encourage our team to protect our community from becoming a resources that is harvested. Links to other forums are fine. I can see a scenario where a member is not active here and seems to come here only to post links back to his/her forum. This would be considered a violation of our rules because it's obvious the person is not here to participate in our discussions but really trying to harvest our member base. Our moderators are ultimately responsible for interpreting the rules here and if you don't like the way we do thing, then by all means I would suggest finding another forum.

I also want to applaud our moderators for doing a fine job. We have nearly 13,000 members who all have various opinions on many topics. As you have seen with various cruisers/sailors forums that have melted down keeping all these opinions & personalities in check is very difficult. I know our team tries very hard to be amicable and fair and for that I am sure most of the community is very grateful.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 15:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
There is one thing that would be great to do, but impossible due to our size, but to make a member an honorary moderator for a day. Then they can see what really goes on in the background. It always puts a smile on us longer serving mods faces when a new guy comes in and say's, WOW!!! Is that what you guy's have to do and put up with.
So what does go in in the background without naming names?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 16:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

A LOT of time consuming review, reading, discussion, checks, more discussions, and more reading.

It requires a willingness to spend a lot of time in areas that you may not wish to. It helps if you have nothing better to do ... or care about having a good forum.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 17:43   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
There are a great many posts either in the Mod section or between individuals that you don't see. In most case we solve a lot of things that only get seen between us and the parties involved. We try to choose that route. I think most prefer it that way too. Frankly, it's easier and far less confrontational to work that way. Most things are not difficult. Sometimes things spill over and you can see some of that. Only the big stuff makes the headlines and it isn't just because it's so serious just the way it happens.

We can't do everything in real time with staff and members scattered around the planet in every possible time zone and Alan having the advantage of a whole day ahead. This international stuff gives you a nose bleed from time to time. It's a dimension that is hard to deal with 24 x 7 everyday.

This place only works because most people want it to what it is. We can't make this place into something members do not want it to be. We can remind the few about the many but that really is as much as we can do. If members are friendly and engaging this place is is on a beam reach with a fresh breeze. We still, increase our rate of growth every month. Check out the numbers on the portal page and see for yourself. Just now the next person to join is number 13,000! As a membership we are doing some things right and we want to remind you all of that too. This place is as good as it is because we have a lot of committed members.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 18:02   #13
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Don't forget the "Spammer Spanker" part of the team! The Hudster is a machine when it comes to knockin' off the spammers that invade our lil' part of the Internet. S/V Elusive has more knotches in his belt we had to buy him a new one!

Sometimes, usually just before major holidays, Xmas, Easter, etc. when the spammers need to make some more money to buy the kiddies X-Box's, Ipods, Wii's etc. they hammer the crap out of these bulletin boards to post their junk. It takes a keen eye, and there's a few outside the mod team that spot them, FrankZ seems to have a keen spammer eye and spots them as they take a dump in the forums. Others as well have let us know when there's a mess being made and we appreciate that help.

So in the background we (mod/admin) team immediately suspend the spammers account permanently then have to go clean up the mess. Occasionally they get in 3 or 4 posts before we stop them in their tracks. We then move the junk and ensure they're permanently banned. Sometimes we'll spot trends in their profile that lets us know they're returnees and we can, if we decide to, ban their IP addresses which essentially shuts them down.

The mod/admin team also respond to a lot of PM's about various goings on on the forums and unsolicited PM's etc.

It's a lot like refereeing a hockey game. Thankless job and you never know when you're gonna get blindsided by something out of the ordinary.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 21:36   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post

It's a lot like refereeing a hockey game.

Yep - and the locker room is none too spotless....
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 23:57   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Andy R, all the Administrators and Mods, you know I am a fan and have complimented you many times, but in this case, I respectfully think that….. you can’t see the forest for the trees!

The attraction to this site which is dedicated to all things relating to boats is not only about the camaraderie but also sharing a vast knowledge base…. that the combined members possess.

To waste knowledge or prevent it from being shared with others is a Sin.

When someone offers a link to another Forum where they had for example a great discussion on, “Noise and Vibration on yachts” that is not “harvesting” your members and frankly Andy, that term offends me. I am not a liver or kidney to be harvested.

Why be so restrictive in acknowledging the competition?

In business the cream always rises to the top and with your great Mods who ensure a friendly environment and resource super-researchers like Paul and Gord, ….that is the reason you are successful.

However, if you draw a silly line in the sand about linking to other Forums, you have only indicated to us “sentient” members, that you are afraid of the competition and we should look elsewhere.

Andy R…You’re better than that!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote