Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 12:44   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 53
Disabling advertising?

New here.

Is it possible to avoid the display of the advertising on the right hand column? Pay a fee or whatever?

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
NicolÚ Crispi
Nicocrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 13:34   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 18
Re: Disabling advertising?

this is what i use..
https://pi-hole.net/
__________________

__________________
jim321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 17:41   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,633
Re: Disabling advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicocrispi View Post
New here.

Is it possible to avoid the display of the advertising on the right hand column? Pay a fee or whatever?

Thanks.
Yes. Become a CF Supporter:
User CP
- Miscellaneous - Account Upgrades

Cost $15.01 per annum recurring and you can get rid of all those annoying ads.

I reckon it saves me more than $15 a year in bandwidth costs through not downloading and displaying the ads
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 17:44   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 53
Re: Disabling advertising?

Much appreciated.
__________________
Nicocrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 19:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: North End Marine - Stellar 30
Posts: 111
Re: Disabling advertising?

So I "upgraded" back in March, thinking it would get rid of the advertisements.

I still have them.

I re-read the benefits of upgrading, and the list does not say that you no longer get ads, so I figured "oops, should have read more carefully."

Now you're telling me that the ads are supposed to be gone once I pay my $15?

Well, I paid $15 on March 31,2017 - and I still get ads all over the site... Is there a mod or admin that can fix this?
__________________
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 20:01   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12,945
Re: Disabling advertising?

Try using your browser settings to block JavaScript. I think that's the one that coincidentally blocks most ads on most sites for me. There may be some collateral damage because it may also block web site videos, but it is simple enough to try.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 20:07   #7
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,007
Re: Disabling advertising?

I use adblock and ghostery on my laptop browsers (safari and firefox) and see no ads I don't want to. Adblock lets you selectively remove offending scripts. Works great on my Mac.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 00:07   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,633
Re: Disabling advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
So I "upgraded" back in March, thinking it would get rid of the advertisements.

I still have them.

I re-read the benefits of upgrading, and the list does not say that you no longer get ads, so I figured "oops, should have read more carefully."

Now you're telling me that the ads are supposed to be gone once I pay my $15?

Well, I paid $15 on March 31,2017 - and I still get ads all over the site... Is there a mod or admin that can fix this?
You need to adjust your preferences:
Got to User CP - Settings & Options - Edit Options
Scroll down the page and set:

Miscellaneous Options - "Turn Off Right Column" to "Off"

Show Less Ads: Tick "Remove the Sponsor Ads at the top of the Forums/Discussions"

Vender Ads Toggle - Set to "Off"
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 02:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,507
Images: 240
Re: Disabling advertising?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NicolÚ.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 06:26   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Disabling advertising?

Thank you this was really helpful. Hopefully I can remove the ads from my view too.
__________________
James567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:33   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: North End Marine - Stellar 30
Posts: 111
Re: Disabling advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You need to adjust your preferences:
Got to User CP - Settings & Options - Edit Options
Scroll down the page and set:

Miscellaneous Options - "Turn Off Right Column" to "Off"

Show Less Ads: Tick "Remove the Sponsor Ads at the top of the Forums/Discussions"

Vender Ads Toggle - Set to "Off"
Thanks, this removed about half of the ads.

Still getting about half though.

And the ones that are still showing up are far and away the most annoying ones: in the middle of a thread in mobile view. I go to swipe up to scroll the thread, and it thinks I clicked on the damn ad. Not to mention that it's the mobile view, so I'm on a mobile and paying for data.

I'd pay even more to get rid of these stupid things - I've been considering just abandoning the site (and have gone weeks without checking in a few times) just because of this.
__________________
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 13:09   #12
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,007
Re: Disabling advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
Thanks, this removed about half of the ads.

Still getting about half though.

And the ones that are still showing up are far and away the most annoying ones: in the middle of a thread in mobile view. I go to swipe up to scroll the thread, and it thinks I clicked on the damn ad. Not to mention that it's the mobile view, so I'm on a mobile and paying for data.

I'd pay even more to get rid of these stupid things - I've been considering just abandoning the site (and have gone weeks without checking in a few times) just because of this.
Iím telling you, Adblock and Ghostery are your friend. Makes the whole web a lot more functional and a lot less abusive of my time and bandwidth. Allows you to selectively remove scripts that force those annoying ads on us.

The ads I appreciate are the ones from helpful commercial sponsors who actually contribute to the community. Those are the people I try and support when Iím looking to spend my boat bucks.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: North End Marine - Stellar 30
Posts: 111
Re: Disabling advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Iím telling you, Adblock and Ghostery are your friend. Makes the whole web a lot more functional and a lot less abusive of my time and bandwidth. Allows you to selectively remove scripts that force those annoying ads on us.

The ads I appreciate are the ones from helpful commercial sponsors who actually contribute to the community. Those are the people I try and support when Iím looking to spend my boat bucks.
1. Do they work on Android?

But much more importantly:
2. My point is that I should not have to rely on third party vendors to get a benefit for which I've already paid.
__________________
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:13   #14
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,007
Re: Disabling advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
1. Do they work on Android?



But much more importantly:

2. My point is that I should not have to rely on third party vendors to get a benefit for which I've already paid.


#1. Don't know. Surprised if they're isn't some ad block solution for you.

#2. Agree, but sometimes life isn't fair. You can bang your head against the wall, or you can choose to go around it. Your choice.
__________________

__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar panels disabling tach mrybas Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 3 29-06-2014 09:37
targeted advertising never monday Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 03-04-2006 18:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.