Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 14:18   #1
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Difficulty paying for membership.

I would love to give you $15.00 and become a member, because I think CF is the best thing since sliced bread, for sailboaters worldwide.
However, you don’t make it easy. I have not used my Paypal account for many years, so the credit card they have on file is defunct and I cannot get it changed. I cannot get through their damn robot answering woman—who I have just given a piece of my mind!
Give me an easier way, and I will happily join the club.
__________________

__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:33   #2
Moderator
 
Janet H's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Boat: Cape Dory 27
Posts: 6,081
Images: 5
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Thanks for your kind words about CF. Unfortunately Paypal is the only option we have at the present time but there is an option that does not require a paypal account. Paypal can be used without an account just to process the credit card transaction, just like any other merchant. You should have the option to enter any card info you like.

When you get to the paypal log in screen look under the login boxes to see the link (it's easy to miss).

Click image for larger version

Name:	cfpaypal.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	69627
__________________

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:44   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
AfterHoursNLCT's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
Posts: 190
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

If you can log into your Pay Pal account, the link to update your card info is under the profile tab. Justed checked mine and the info is there...LL
__________________
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:34   #4
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

I really can't get this: Okay, now I try to start again, I log in, but when I press Upgrade I get a table telling me I'm not logged in, and round and round we go .
I will do as Afterhours suggests, when I can finally get to the paypal account!.
It's a bit hard going to pay a voluntary membership.
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:43   #5
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I would love to give you $15.00 and become a member, because I think CF is the best thing since sliced bread, for sailboaters worldwide.
However, you don’t make it easy. I have not used my Paypal account for many years, so the credit card they have on file is defunct and I cannot get it changed. I cannot get through their damn robot answering woman—who I have just given a piece of my mind!
Give me an easier way, and I will happily join the club.
Had the same experience a couple days ago. It takes a three days for PayPal to verify the new cards. Three days later. . . Still says my account is limited and won't take the transaction although says my cards are verified. So I go to the resolution center to find out my account is locked because they want to verify with a land line and won't accept a cell phone... This is ridiculous, maybe you could provide an address where we can just mail a check.
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:45   #6
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
If you can log into your Pay Pal account, the link to update your card info is under the profile tab. Justed checked mine and the info is there...LL
It's worse than this: I haven't used my Paypal account for years and the card I gave them is now defunct. I also can't remember my password. So in order to get my password I have to confirm the credit card they have on file. Round and round we go again
It's not a jot of good trying to call them. The are totally robotized and the damn talking woman evidently can't understand my British accent. I told her I speak the bloody Queens English for Christ's sake! But it didn't make any difference, so I swore at her in the Queens English!
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:52   #7
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post

It's worse than this: I haven't used my Paypal account for years and the card I gave them is now defunct. I also can't remember my password. So in order to get my password I have to confirm the credit card they have on file. Round and round we go again
It's not a jot of good trying to call them. The are totally robotized and the damn talking woman evidently can't understand my British accent. I told her I speak the bloody Queens English for Christ's sake! But it didn't make any difference, so I swore at her in the Queens English!
There's nothing stopping you setting up a new PayPal account with a new credit card. Really it couldn't be easier. Millions have no trouble.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:17   #8
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There's nothing stopping you setting up a new PayPal account with a new credit card. Really it couldn't be easier. Millions have no trouble.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Tried that, they won't let you set up a new account if you already have one.
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:20   #9
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Had the same experience a couple days ago. It takes a three days for PayPal to verify the new cards. Three days later. . . Still says my account is limited and won't take the transaction although says my cards are verified. So I go to the resolution center to find out my account is locked because they want to verify with a land line and won't accept a cell phone... This is ridiculous, maybe you could provide an address where we can just mail a check.
Now there's a novel idea!
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:24   #10
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
If you can log into your Pay Pal account, the link to update your card info is under the profile tab. Justed checked mine and the info is there...LL
That would be fine if I could remember my old password. And I can't get a new password without the credit card verification.
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:30   #11
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this one. I thought CF would just say, "send us a check or money order." But I guess life has become to complicated for that.
It's my fault for forgetting my password from two years ago .
So thanks again, but don't let us waste any more time on this. As it is I've got a boat to fix,
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:47   #12
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post

Hi Dave,
Tried that, they won't let you set up a new account if you already have one.
Just register a new gmail pr hotmail email account and away you go
Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:53   #13
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this one. I thought CF would just say, "send us a check or money order." But I guess life has become to complicated for that.
It's my fault for forgetting my password from two years ago .
So thanks again, but don't let us waste any more time on this. As it is I've got a boat to fix,
You could just send it to social knowledge llc in dallas Texas I suppose

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 14:00   #14
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

Janet. Thanks for the tip. I apologize for my tirade. . . I finally got my PayPal account unlocked by calling them, then the transaction was simple.

I agree it's not CF's fault when Paypal has issues. Perhaps someone could put a note or the highlighted screen print on the upgrade page.
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 23:08   #15
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Difficulty paying for membership.

I feel your pain. There have been umpteen threads about this. Even some promises of looking into another option. I know mine is reoccurring which is another issue I have but less I digress.
I wish the powers could find a way to make this happen instead of the ...all you have to do is....
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
member, membership

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.