Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 01:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape Dory 30C
Demasting/Transport/Remast

I bought a sailboat(cd30), that’s in a lake 600 miles from me. I need to bring her down home in SoCal and I’m stressing over how I can do that.

Please advise.

Regards and thank you.

S/V Of Course
Zekmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:41   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Demasting/Transport/Remast

Of Course,

Zekmeister, I hope that is not really you....the zeks had a terrible time.

Sail the boat to wherever you are. Fix it up along the way as you find what needs to be done. Bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$. It's life with a boat.

Ann
Old 11-12-2016, 01:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Of Course,

Zekmeister, I hope that is not really you....the zeks had a terrible time.

Sail the boat to wherever you are. Fix it up along the way as you find what needs to be done. Bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$. It's life with a boat.

Ann
Not the answer i expected but thanks for the answer. Just to clarify I'm trying to rehearse the trucking of the boat to a boatyard from the lake like the demasting and subsequent transporting to the yard. I have never done this before so any input is appreciated highly.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:22   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Hi, no need to panic. What you're doing is fairly routine, & 98% of it can be solved by common sense & a cool head. And a tip, you may wish to call it removing the mast (for transport), or pulling the mast. As demasting sounds much like dismasting, which is fairly catestrophic, & kinda' violent. Given that it means that your mast & rigging were subject to a "gravity storm", & came down rapidly, in an uncontrolled fashion, without permission

As to your undertaking, odds are there's some information which will assist you in the below linked post. But basically you want to remove everything that you can from the mast. Including stays, halyards, lights (if it's easy to do, & they're fragile), etc. And pack everything so that it's padded against chafe, & well secured so that it can't move when on the road. Plus to protect it from kicked up road debris & such. Just like you'd do if you were moving household goods, or anything else important to you that's semi fragile, & expensive.

Let us know if you have further questions. Oh, & take pics of everything before wrapping it up, & after, too. Plus ensure that the trucking company knows how to reach you. And that your insurance companies transport requirements have been met.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-165348.html

Edit: Here's one other thread on the topic, & there are more here on the forums. Just do a search. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-160490.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:30   #5

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Oh, & take pics of everything before wrapping it up, & after, too.
Pics are worth many hours in solving a jig saw puzzle. Also, buy yourself a laminating label machine and mark everything. I have 27 shrouds and stays and I would never have been able to sort them out after after a week let alone years on the hard. I didn't take enough pics, (years before digital), and it has been a challenge at times.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Demasting/Transport/Remast

Presumably you'll be getting a crane for the whole job..
First get the crane to position itself to get a sling round the mast just below the spreaders and taut enough to just take up any slack in the sling but no load.. then clear and coil all running rigging (this can be done before hand) and lash near the base.. disconnect any electrics.
Then go round and slacken all standing rigging and disconnect, the sling should keep the mast steady with the help of one man steadying the base.
Lash standing rigging to the mast.. then lift and lay to one side out of the way.
Lift boat on truck.. chock off and secure.. then its back to the mast, lift and lower to lie fore and aft.. a good idea is X frames bow and stern with the centre supported by the coachroof (old carpet/rag/cardboard to protect roof) and lash in place..
At other end reverse the process..
No need to remove all the rigging etc..
Best wishes for a Safe delivery and relaunch..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:00   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekmeister View Post
Not the answer i expected but thanks for the answer. Just to clarify I'm trying to rehearse the trucking of the boat to a boatyard from the lake like the demasting and subsequent transporting to the yard. I have never done this before so any input is appreciated highly.
Without the benefit of any information at all about the size of the boat, the available haulout facilities, etc...

Have the mast taken down via crane. Beforehand you'll need to disconnect all lines and coil and strap them to the mast, take all furling lines to drums, etc. Disconnect all wiring going up the mast. Take the boom off and make a cradle for it on the deck of lumber. Prepare all the stays by removing all pins and loosening turnbuckles. Crane sling gets attached to the mast above balance point and tightens. Unfasten all the shrouds, bring to mast and tie them off so the whole rig with shrouds is lifted off together.

The cost of trucking the boat is in part a function of it's height; the higher the boat, the more limited the truck's routing options are due to power lines, bridges, etc. So take down anything that you can that rides high...hard dodger, electronics arch, radar/wind generator pole, etc.

Hire a professional trucking company. The yard and the trucker will be responsible for putting the boat on the truck, securing it, and loading the mast and other parts you maybe had to take off like the dodger, etc. You might be tempted to pack/wrap stuff yourself. Don't. They are professionals and if something gets damaged and you packed it yourself you'll probably be out of luck trying to get insurance to cover it.

Here's a good primer on taking down your mast:
https://www.morganscloud.com/2014/12...r-mast-easier/

In future, the more information you provide in a situation like this (size of boat, including draft, height of mast, where it is, facilities there, where it's going, etc) the better responses you are going to get.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:22   #8

Zek, what lake is the boat at? I am at Clearlake and there are a surprising number of ex-deepwater sailors in the area that would probably help you out. If it is Tahoe or any other lake, see if there is a sailing club, and you will find people that have done the job before. What size boat? On your own trailer or a boat haulers trailer? I recently had a mobile home mover pull my 34 foot boat (on my own trailer) for much less than the professional boat haulers estimated. Making very solid supports so that the mast cant move at all during transport is very important. Good Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for the insights.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Zek, what lake is the boat at? I am at Clearlake and there are a surprising number of ex-deepwater sailors in the area that would probably help you out. If it is Tahoe or any other lake, see if there is a sailing club, and you will find people that have done the job before. What size boat? On your own trailer or a boat haulers trailer? I recently had a mobile home mover pull my 34 foot boat (on my own trailer) for much less than the professional boat haulers estimated. Making very solid supports so that the mast cant move at all during transport is very important. Good Luck. ____Grant.
Boat is in Redding. I have a local professional guy who will truck it down and my issue is finding a crane and the process of removing all the wires and lines. I would want it done professionally so I can claim damages in the event of any breakage, although I do see it as an excellent learning opportunity. I will also talk to the marina management for advise as well.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:47   #11

Ok, I am guessing that CD30 means Cape Dory 30 at 10,000 lbs and 9 foot beam. If that is the case you will need a wide load permit. I put a bid out on U-ship and got some flaky drivers wanting to know if I was going to pull the permit. People that pull for a living usually have a permanent wide load permit. Be wary of anyone that asks you to pull the permit. ____Grant.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:52   #12

I missed your response. It sounds good. Please get back to all of us and let us know how it turns out. Nice boat! _____Grant.
Old 20-12-2016, 22:07   #13
Marine Service Provider

Excellent how to!!! Thanks
Old 20-12-2016, 23:49   #14

Ideally the marina where it is at will have a crane to lift the mast. It's not really that hard, just clarify how much assistance you want from them.

Even if there is no crane at the local marina, you can hire a crane to come in but probably at a higher price. Not hard to wrap up and secure the rigging once down.

Most truckers DO NOT have a permanent wide load permit (with rare exceptions they aren't offered), so asking about who is obtaining the permit is a valid question and it's simple to state that you want it included along with any required chase vehicles etc... Also require them to coordinate with the marinas on both ends (no sense paying for the boat to be hauled and no truck to sit it on).

It's really not as bad as it sounds. Boats get trucked all the time and your boat isn't anything particularly large.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:10   #15
Marine Service Provider

Almost forgot about this thread but as an update I got the boat home. I'm working hard to launch her May 2019. Currently: 1.) rebuilding the MD7A, 2.) Replacing and upgrading to thicker standing rigging, 3.) 4 coats bottom paint, 4.) installing dual AIS/VHF antenna, 5.) upgrading to bigger bilge pumps, 6.) wiring mast, 7.) replacing mast light bulbs with LED. 8.) repair and restitching my sails.

Appreciate all the info guys.

Tags
mast