Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 13:14   #1

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht
Classified Question, Need Help

New in here and was wondering in classified ad means?
I placed a ad for the sale.of our boat and saw a couple of icons I wondered what they mean and noticed no one else had them on their ad. The very first one is the envelope first.of the ad...mine is a envelope but had a check mark on it and then where there is a paper clip in one.of the columns, mine is a blue box with a check mark...I see lots and.lots of people viewing but no one ask me questions. I don't have any messanges. Wondered if I did something wrong.or.blocked? Do I need to add a phone number
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 13:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: classified question, need help

PM sent
Old 28-09-2012, 14:01   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Classified Question, Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanK View Post
New in here and was wondering in classified ad means?
I placed a ad for the sale.of our boat and saw a couple of icons I wondered what they mean and noticed no one else had them on their ad. The very first one is the envelope first.of the ad...mine is a envelope but had a check mark on it and then where there is a paper clip in one.of the columns, mine is a blue box with a check mark...I see lots and.lots of people viewing but no one ask me questions. I don't have any messages. Wondered if I did something wrong.or.blocked? Do I need to add a phone number
There are icons that are common to every page on the forum.

The envelopes are explained down at the bottom of the page. They are just visual guides to the posting activity.
The paper clip indicates the post has an attachment and the little hag tag is for key search words, and the blue box with the check indicates you are subscribed to that thread.

You didn't do anything wrong, Just need to get familiar with forum protocol. Most forums have the same or similar features ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45   #4

Boat: Catalina 30
How can I send my email to someone who has something I want to buy. Site won't let me cause I have only been here a year.
Mystktravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 00:00   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

You can only send an email if the user allows it.

Go to their user profile and click on 'send message'. The drop down will offer up an email option if the settings allow it. If not it will offer up 'private message' or 'send profile comment'

Hit the send PM and reach members directly.

Let me know if you need any help working this out.

Regards,

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I put me comments here (to be helpful and not to derail OP's for sale advert - even though it sounds like any free thread bump would be useful!)......apart from new CF Members having restrictions on sending / receiving PM's (and e-mails via the forum software?) for anti-spam reasons.........the reason for a lack of feedback may also be because the advert is very poor! No pics, no price and no details......don't need to be everything - but you do need to at least bait the hook, especially for those who have no idea what your boat is, let alone whether it is in the ballpark price wise. I would say even more important given the contact difficulties via CF, when one or both sides are considered too new to be trusted with PM's / E-mails.

As an aside, I can understand why people may not want their e-mails publically posted on the internet (for anti-spam reasons), but does it actually matter to CF for any reason?...............or is CF simply trying to help the unknowing to not shoot selves in the foot!......I ask because some people (like me!) either have a spare e-mail address (which is already spammed up!) or set up a new one specifically for a sole purpose (like selling a boat) - so don't care / accept as part of the price that the e-mail address will attract spam. Just curious.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
but does it actually matter to CF for any reason?...............or is CF simply trying to help the unknowing to not shoot selves in the foot!......I ask because some people (like me!) either have a spare e-mail address (which is already spammed up!) or set up a new one specifically for a sole purpose (like selling a boat) - so don't care / accept as part of the price that the e-mail address will attract spam. Just curious.
There are no rules preventing members posting their email address and phone number.
Moderators often go to the trouble of modifying this information spending considerable time and effort with the sole aim of protecting members from the unwanted flood of spam that will follow such a disclosure.
Unfortunately we are fighting a loosing battle.

The previous practice of coding the email address, replacing the asmith@hotmail.com with asmith(at)hotmail(dot)com seems to be totally ineffective given the recent sophistication of spammers program's harvesting this information.

Some members use junk email addresses, but many simply don't realise the danger. Using the PM system to exchange information is safer.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 13:02   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There are no rules preventing members posting their email address and phone number.
Moderators often go to the trouble of modifying this information spending considerable time and effort with the sole aim of protecting members from the unwanted flood of spam that will follow such a disclosure.
Unfortunately we are fighting a loosing battle.

The previous practice of coding the email address, replacing the asmith@hotmail.com with asmith(at)hotmail(dot)com seems to be totally ineffective given the recent sophistication of spammers program's harvesting this information.

Some members use junk email addresses, but many simply don't realise the danger. Using the PM system to exchange information is safer.
I was just being nosey .

Personally I would mention the issue in a sticky post and leave folk (who don't read those things or have somehow not yet discovered spam ) to discover the hard way........that approach both because I feel it important to empower people to learn from own actions and because I am lazy ......but if the Mods have SFA better to do, then who am I to argue .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 15:25   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This is worth reading:
It will safeguard you from spam.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ads-35447.html
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote