Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 08:26   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
CF and Windows 10?

I had a new laptop for Christmas with windows 10. (That was our first mistake).
I now find I can’t log in on Cruising Forum, but there is no problem doing so with my old laptop.
Is there a problem with CF and Windows 10? If so, who do we get round it?
Why the heck Microsoft can’t leave well-alone beats me! They’ve really screwed up some of the programs I’ve been using for years.
JR
Old 19-01-2020, 08:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: CF and Windows 10?

Been using W10 to access CF for several years and no problem to date.

I will move this to the help thread.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 09:02   #3

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Could it be a browser issue? I use Firefox on three Win10 computers and there is no issue. What browser are you using?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 09:28   #4

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Could it be a browser issue? I use Firefox on three Win10 computers and there is no issue. What browser are you using?

Same, on 4 computers. Firefox and Brave browsers.
Cheers all
Old 19-01-2020, 10:25   #5

Ah yes, nothing like the joy and excitement of starting each new decade with a timely update of computer hardware and software, whether you want to or not.

First public release of Windows 10 - July 29, 2015

As soon as you get the hang of Windows 10, [i.e., last decade's OS] be sure that Windows 20/Something should be coming along soon. Things to look forward to.

Take comfort you be in good company in upgrading to Windows 10 as most all of us have somehow survived the experience, at first it was much like riding through a gale. I recall that my boat didn't sink like was predicted for the coming of Y2K; there was a beautiful sunrise on the morning of January 1, 2000, then I boarded the plane with my wife to fly from California back to Montana. Oddly there were very few passengers on the early morning flight that New Year's Day at the beginning of the new millenium.

FYI, from my experience the CruisersForum works fine with Windows 10, once you dial in your exact location coordinates derived by using your sextant and key in the requisite DOS commands to boot up and run the forum's program.

Enjoy and saver the moments of becoming familiar with your new machine; a grand adventure awaits you. Keep it in proper perspective, it will be easier than trying to figure out the Infotainment system on the touch screen of a new car while you are simultaneously trying to keep your eye on the road - "just how the heck does one turn on the windshield wipers and defroster with a touchscreen, arghhh . All those tiny Universally Unrecognizable Graphic Symbols are hard to learn and discern without referring to the users manual. By way of simple example, who at Microsoft determined that you would logically look to click the Start Button in order to turn OFF the device; actually it is not technically turning the machine OFF, it is rather UNSTARTING the machine. Once you get the hang of their logic pattern, you can find your way through the ever changing menu tree. The same functions are in the upgrade of your OS, they have just scrambled the order and where they are placed and have given them new descriptions / names.

Personally, I still miss my thence highspeed, 12-K dial up modem and its connection tones emitted from the ear piece of the phone's handset, and the sound my teletype machine made as it printed on multicopy paper before there were monochromatic display monitors.

Oh, speaking of upgrading, I'm on the look out for a new smart mobile phone, one that comes with a curly cord for enhanced 5K reception, but alas Apple and Samsung seem to have cut their cords. I got excited when I thought I found a whole bunch of cord connectable Smartphones at the display at the Walmart store, but was disappointed to learn the cords were just tethers to secure the display phones so that they didn't go walk about with a customer.

I can personally attest that there are multitude of interface compatibility complexities to contend with between a Smartphone and a Dumb User. Been there, done that, still doing that!

I remember receiving my first Text Message, it came from my daughter who was away at college. I saw a new notification appear on the screen of the flip phone and wondered what it was, so I pushed the symbol and her message appeared with a question to me. So I endeavored to reply by Text instead of just talking to her by voice by using the phone. My reply was all in lower case with no spaces between the words as I couldn't determine how to insert a space between a word then hit what I hoped was the send button. She got my message and decided to call me back instead of texting her reply, Old School for Old Dad. Still not good at typing with thumbs.

And my niece is also learning about her Good Old Uncle's technological proclivities.

As to selecting a service provider, I long for the day when I had a phone plan that cost only a dime for three minutes of talk time.

Happy sailing days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill-Gates-Will-Teach-You-How-to-Count-Windows-10-Meme.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	207224   Click image for larger version

Name:	vista baby.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	207225  

Click image for larger version

Name:	this-windows-10-joke-just-won-the-internet.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	207226   Click image for larger version

Name:	spider.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	207227  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:25   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I had a new laptop for Christmas with windows 10. (That was our first mistake).
I now find I can’t log in on Cruising Forum, but there is no problem doing so with my old laptop.
Is there a problem with CF and Windows 10? If so, who do we get round it?
Why the heck Microsoft can’t leave well-alone beats me! They’ve really screwed up some of the programs I’ve been using for years.
JR
This hit home. I just bough a new Windows 10 laptop and not looking forward to the transfer from Windows 7 from which my files are still screwed-up from transferring from XP...I long for the simplicity of old XP.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:28   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

All moaning aside... I updated 5 computers to win 10 from 8.1 and NO issues.

I use Brave, Chrome and Firefox.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:40   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

It does seem that 99% software updates, in this day and age, are a practical step backward for actual usability. Forget getting anything done as simply and efficiently as 10 years ago. Gotta love the endless tracking, collection of data, and ingrained marketing and ads though...
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:53   #9

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I access CF running Windows 10 and MS Edge. Works fine. And my present W10/Edge arrangement is an upgrade from W7/Explorer.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 11:19   #10

My guess would be MS Edge. Same scinario as yours, new computer, Windows 10 at Xmas. Go into do banking first of year, 3 out of ten bank/credit accounts, I could not get into with edge. Opened Firefox, had no problem getting in with new computer. CaptVR
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 15:39   #11

Microsoft. Dear oh Dear. Some years ago I purchased a Surface Pro ( a Microsoft product). It was an early version and runs on Windows 8.1 and I soon found out it was a clumsy platform. Guess what? No one seems to know how to update it to Windows 10.
Now Microsoft tells me my Windows 7 platform won't be serviced in future. They suggest I buy a new computer. Guess which Microsoft product I won't be buying.
Bad Technology Joke - Hot steamy sauna. two young women and one old dear - all naked. The young pair are making jokes about the older lady and the effects of gravity. The young pair are thumbing away at their smart phones which the the elder lady does not comprehend.
Older lady stands up and declares she is going to the toilet. She returns in 10 minutes with some paper hanging from her bottom. The two youngsters start pointing and laughing at the paper. The elder lady turns to them both and states "You youngsters would not understand, as I just received a fax!" Boom boom.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 17:28   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

M$ is in the process of changing Edge to the Chrome code base. The change my be a bit rocky so hang on...

Download Firefox and use it instead. Also, be careful about which extensions you add.j These days I am using "Disconnect" for blocking trackers and "uBlock Origin" for ad-blocking. No-Script was my favorite but it requires too much intervention to both protect and display the needed parts of the page. Many of these blockers will require specifically authorizing certain URLs for a website to display properly. Increasingly websites are refusing to load until you authorize the trackers and ads - some tell you that and many don't. Most current browsers have very questionable defaults, so for any browser that you are using go through the settings - looking in every corner - and change the appropriate defaults. M$ does offer you an opportunity to select privacy (from them) behavior on first run of Win10, but it is intentionally unclear. It can be changed later but you will have to do some research to find the obscure locations. Wonderful...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 04:38   #13

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Microsoft. Dear oh Dear. Some years ago I purchased a Surface Pro ( a Microsoft product). It was an early version and runs on Windows 8.1 and I soon found out it was a clumsy platform. Guess what? No one seems to know how to update it to Windows 10.
Now Microsoft tells me my Windows 7 platform won't be serviced in future. They suggest I buy a new computer. Guess which Microsoft product I won't be buying.

About the Windows 7. Go on Amazon.com, and buy an Win 10 upgrade license, look for a reasonable price, or get a family member to, I got two Win 10 pro licenses, for very low cash outlay. Download the upgrade, and install, after backing up your files. This will take a little time, and bandwidth. Or get the family member who got the license for you, to do it.

Tags
grass, wind